Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for University last year (2010/2011 entry) but didn't get the grades. So I am reapplying. I also applied for student finance last year, so I already have an account with them. But I applied with the paper forms, and not online.

This year, I am applying for student finance online. But I have reached the parents bit :eek: :eek: :eek: The dilemma I am having is;

- my parents didn't put down an email address associated with their account when I applied last year on paper.
    - we have got no letters/recollection of student finance giving my parents their own password/secret answer.
    - as a result, we can't log into their accounts.

My parents work strange hours, so sometimes I don't see them. I have rang SF up, to reset the passwords for my mum and dad. First time, we reset my mums passwords cos she was able to speak to them (dad was working), but they weren't sent to the email address; but by letter. I tried logging into my mums account with the details they sent in the letter, and I still couldn't log on!

I have just rang them about an hour ago, and was able to reset both my parents passwords to the new email address I made especially for them (cos the password previously for my mum wasn't sent by email, so I thought something was wrong with the email.) Woo, everything seemed fine, til I then rang up to double check the passwords were definitely going to be sent by the email I gave, and she told me she couldn't tell me. :confused:

So, I think I am going to have to wait for these brand new letters with their reset passwords on and try again. But I'm just worried because the reset passwords they sent to my mum didn't work!! Argh.

Is anyone else having this kind of trouble? Especially those who have reapplied?

Sorry for the long post. Just so confused, it would be nice to know someone else in the same position.

ReputationRep:
    I had to ask SFE to change my email address several times because things kept messing up - ask them again to change your parents' email address(es) to something new!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chai wallah)
    I had to ask SFE to change my email address several times because things kept messing up - ask them again to change your parents' email address(es) to something new!
    I have. Twice!

She said 'sometimes the reset passwords will be sent by letter and email', but when I said, where is the email, she said she couldn't tell me.

I just don't understand. When I log onto my account, and go onto the mother/father bit, the 'apply on paper form' has gone as well. So I don't bloody understand

ReputationRep:
    im having a similar problem because i want to apply online but when my brother started uni 3 years ago they applied on paper and continued to do so every year. however i just found something that says when you apply on paper student finance will have sent a letter out saying what their secret answer is, i dont think there is a chance of me finding that letter though ha so ill have to either do it on paper myself or you can get in touch with student finance and ask for a new secret answer.

edit: i just realised the date on this, how did you get on?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there an option to just make a new account for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allystar)
    im having a similar problem because i want to apply online but when my brother started uni 3 years ago they applied on paper and continued to do so every year. however i just found something that says when you apply on paper student finance will have sent a letter out saying what their secret answer is, i dont think there is a chance of me finding that letter though ha so ill have to either do it on paper myself or you can get in touch with student finance and ask for a new secret answer.

edit: i just realised the date on this, how did you get on?
    Your parents will need to be the ones that call, SLC won't be able to talk to you about your parents account due to data protection.

(Original post by 04ayasin)
    Isn't there an option to just make a new account for them?
    No, they can only ever have one account. It will detect that they already have one.

ReputationRep:
    Had a similar problem. My mum called up and it was sorted straight away. She got her customer reference off the phone and got an email with password and secret answer on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wactm)
    Had a similar problem. My mum called up and it was sorted straight away. She got her customer reference off the phone and got an email with password and secret answer on.
    what number do you call? -am having similar problem x

ReputationRep:
    As a parent I am fed up with the paperwork, and telephone calls. it is one mess up after another. I had to pay our accountant to put together a letter of our income (done within 4 weeks of the end of the financial year) and sent with everything required by 5th/7th May. Now I cant log on and have been waiting for a PR2 form to come in the post for over 8 days as they want more information. Email link is not working, more calls tomorrows. Then you told different information from different people. If I had the enough money I wouldn't be asking for help for my son to start with. No confidence in SFE. Totally fed up with people not knowing their jobs and being given the wrong information...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.