Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Semitism in London?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi first time poster here. I got into SOAS for MA in China Studies and just read about the "occupation" run that a bunch of arab groups had and I'm starting to get nervous about the amount of Anti-semitism in the UK especially in London. I grew up in NYC and went to school in Columbia U. with a large Jewish population so I am worried about this change of pace. I've worked in Japan and Taiwan and surprisingly the attitudes that I've gotten for being Jewish from locals has been positive but mixed with other europeans (especially negative russians and eastern europeans) and universally negative by the few arabs/muslims that I have met during my periods abroad. I know UK in general is anti-Israel and from my friends that study at oxford and LSE say that sometimes that "Anti-Israel" tendencies bleed into outright semitism (my friend said since these schools have lots of money coming from the arab nations they have basically been "bought" into the mantra of israel/jews =bad) so I'm wondering how bad is it actually. I was very active in the jewish and israel community back in the states and am worried I am going to be harassed like one of my friends was at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely that you will encounter any serious anti-Semitism. You might come across some anti-Israel/anti-occupation sentiment, but that's to be expected in any university in almost every country on Earth, naturally.

ReputationRep:
    there are anti-Muslims, in fact we seen some few weeks ago in America where they were burning the Quran. the EDL here in the UK are also anti-Muslims.

there are anti-Christians. i means how many atheist have i seen *****ing Christianity and how it contradicts its self.

im sure there are anti-Hindus' and ant-Sikhs.

so whats the big deal with Anti-semitic? so what there are some? is not like they going to harm you. its their opinions v yours.

why are Jews people so sensitive? :s

ReputationRep:
    I hope not....I've heard lots of bad stories and personally coming from a family with still living holocaust survivors, if someone ever called me the N word or anything like that I honestly don't know how I would react. I've met some people that have blatantly told me British Academia is not a welcoming place for Jews and urged me to go to school in the states but I've always wanted to study in London and am a huge Arthur Conan Doyle nerd and would love to live in the city.

To Answer above: We are sensitive because unlike other forms of racism Anti-semitism is an extremely old and ugly poison that has turned a once vibrant culture to basically .000001% of the world population. And I'm sorry if you don't understand that but there have never been multi nation wide calls for the extermination of the muslim people, no blaming Sikhs for 9-11, no blaming christians for the recent financial crisis. But we Jews seemed to have secretly planned and executed 9/11 been threatened with extermination by multiple governments and have groups that want to destroy us financed by governments. So it is a bit different. Its views like this that make me nervous. Burn the Quran day was horrible, but the fact that the Protocols of the Elder Zion are still believed to be fact by many people....its a bit disconcerting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by World_explorer)
    I hope not....I've heard lots of bad stories and personally coming from a family with still living holocaust survivors, if someone ever called me the N word or anything like that I honestly don't know how I would react. I've met some people that have blatantly told me British Academia is not a welcoming place for Jews and urged me to go to school in the states but I've always wanted to study in London and am a huge Arthur Conan Doyle nerd and would love to live in the city.

To Answer above: We are sensitive because unlike other forms of racism Anti-semitism is an extremely old and ugly poison that has turned a once vibrant culture to basically .000001% of the world population. And I'm sorry if you don't understand that but there have never been multi nation wide calls for the extermination of the muslim people, no blaming Sikhs for 9-11, no blaming christians for the recent financial crisis. But we Jews seemed to have secretly planned and executed 9/11 been threatened with extermination by multiple governments and have groups that want to destroy us financed by governments. So it is a bit different. Its views like this that make me nervous. Burn the Quran day was horrible, but the fact that the Protocols of the Elder Zion are still believed to be fact by many people....its a bit disconcerting.
    SAY WHAAAAAT? Muslims are plastered all over the news in the west as terrorists and violent people even though the moderate ones vastly out-number the extremists. The average persons perception of Islam in the west is very disheartening. The true Islam is being over shadowed by the monster the media is portraying. We have it the worst right now.
    Racism comes in various forms, I'd probably say anti-semetism, as bad as it is, is probably done the least. Why do I even need to say this?

But to answer your question, Obviously at certain points in your life you will encounter racism, but I think your more likely to encounter heated debates on Israel. SOAS students are very....................politica l. It's a very good university with a culturally, racially, religiously diverse pool of student so unless you can back the formation of a Jewish state which is resulting in the possible extermination of the Palestinian people I'd stick to the Jew-SOC.

ReputationRep:
    Being Jewish I've never really suffered anti semetism in London. When I was at Manchester I did plenty but never seen it in london though I have heard of plenty of incidents. For big events and stuff we have our own security etc. So things are quite safe. I've walked around London wearing magen davids no problem. Wouldn't worry. If you are search for CST and make sure you have their number with you for emergencies :-D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunnicare)
    SAY WHAAAAAT? Muslims are plastered all over the news in the west as terrorists and violent people even though the moderate ones vastly out-number the extremists. The average persons perception of Islam in the west is very disheartening. The true Islam is being over shadowed by the monster the media is portraying. We have it the worst right now.
    Racism comes in various forms, I'd probably say anti-semetism, as bad as it is, is probably done the least. Why do I even need to say this?

But to answer your question, Obviously at certain points in your life you will encounter racism, but I think your more likely to encounter heated debates on Israel. SOAS students are very....................politica l. It's a very good university with a culturally, racially, religiously diverse pool of student so unless you can back the formation of a Jewish state which is resulting in the possible extermination of the Palestinian people I'd stick to the Jew-SOC.
    I'm sorry but did you say extermination of the palestinian people...until yasser arafat and Al-Fatah came into play "palestinians' were not considered a people but Jordanians. Lets nto forget how mistreated palestinians are in those beloved arab countries that support them. Its words like extermination that boil my blood because it wasnt the jews that attacked in 1948 nor at Yom Kippur. In fact the reason why Israel even invaded Lebanon was because you guys were letting terrorists attack civilians. Anyone who doubts the right for Israel to exist is ignoring history and you know what. Israel has a thriving agriculture section, technology, even with its flawed government like all governments at least its democratic. And you guys want to know why Israel has such a military go go view of politics right now. Intifada gave Likud so much strength. And I'll say this unlike Jews, I see plenty of Mullahs around the world condoning the massacre of infidels and Jihad. Remind me why the british gov recently announced concern about radicalization on UK campuses....gee what monster is this that you speak of. There are good people everywhere doesn't matter race creed or religion, but I don't see governments around the world concerned about radicalization of jewish youth...

ReputationRep:
    people will laugh at you for not having any foreskin

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys time to chill like I said this is what I'm worried about the hot topic........lets stick to my question Dunni what you said was insensitive and PKU repeating blurbs doesn't answer my question. But dunni what you said does hint of anti semitism...the words "Extermination due to existence" basically is the type of stuff that I'm afraid of and creates conflict like we just saw with PKU. Words do have meaning and stuff like that and if its more common in SOAS then I feel that its going to be rocky for me.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware anti-semitism still existed. Never encountered it beyond foreskin and south park related jokes when I was in high school. Then again, I live in the North where people are friendlier, more tolerant and better looking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by World_explorer)
    Hi first time poster here. I got into SOAS for MA in China Studies.
    If you consider people attacking the actions of Israel to be anti-semitic, then yes, you will experience a ton of it at SOAS.

However, if you consider anti-semitism in the more traditional sense of the word, as in people judging you based on your religious beliefs, then no, you will not have a problem.

People, particularly in SOAS, strongly condemn the actions of Israel. They see people supporting the nation in the same light as people supporting Gadaffi for example.

ReputationRep:
    I think you mean condemn, well the first thing My gf said to me when I told her I decided to go to SOAS instead of Yale was "You are just doing this because you want to find a best friend named watson" followed by "expect people to hate the fact you enjoy hummus with cucumber salad in a Jerusalem cafe"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golly-Gosh)
    there are anti-Muslims, in fact we seen some few weeks ago in America where they were burning the Quran. the EDL here in the UK are also anti-Muslims.

there are anti-Christians. i means how many atheist have i seen *****ing Christianity and how it contradicts its self.

im sure there are anti-Hindus' and ant-Sikhs.

so whats the big deal with Anti-semitic? so what there are some? is not like they going to harm you. its their opinions v yours.

why are Jews people so sensitive? :s
    Anti-Semitism is far worse than being anti-Christianity or anti-Islam.

Anti-Semitism is largely racist in nature, for one, whereas the above mentioned are not. It's a nasty form of racist bigotry, based on conspiracy theory and ancient superstition. Jewish people are so sensitive for very obvious reasons, and I'm surprised you even need to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)

Anti-Semitism is largely racist in nature, for one, whereas the above mentioned are not. It's a nasty form of racist bigotry, based on conspiracy theory and ancient superstition. Jewish people are so sensitive for very obvious reasons, and I'm surprised you even need to ask.

basically what you trying to say is, Jews people should have more respect than other people because of the history? excuse me, but i don't see that as being logic. there are millions of people dying, and have died in the past ('history') because of one group persecuting the other. whether that is Christians v Muslims. Muslims v Christians, Hindus v Muslims, Sikhs v Hindus, Jews v Muslim, or Jews v Christians. i don't see how one death is more important than the other.
    my heart goes out to the innocent Jewish people that were killed, but what ever happen to them is not an excuse to act above the rest.
    look what the Jews are doing the Palestinians now, why don't you care about the Palestinians if your argument is genuine? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother coming to England. It's been radicalised by Arab money and it is really hard for Jewish students to make friends imo.

Look what some disgusting anti-Semites in London did to this poor guy.

ReputationRep:

Judaism is NOT a RACE.
    Discrimination against Judaism is the same as discrimination against any other RELIGION.
    Jews do not merit special treatment. No religious group merits special treatment.

You will find anti-Zionists. Anti-Semitists? Far fewer, and only in the same proportion as anti-Christians, anti-Muslims etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golly-Gosh)
    basically what you trying to say is, Jews people should have more respect than other people because of the history? excuse me, but i don't see that as being logic. there are millions of people dying, and have died in the past ('history') because of one group persecuting the other. whether that is Christians v Muslims. Muslims v Christians, Hindus v Muslims, Sikhs v Hindus, Jews v Muslim, or Jews v Christians. i don't see how one death is more important than the other.
    my heart goes out to the innocent Jewish people that were killed, but what ever happen to them is not an excuse to act above the rest.
    look what the Jews are doing the Palestinians now, why don't you care about the Palestinians if your argument is genuine? :rolleyes:
    No, I'm not saying that Jews deserve more respect than anyone else. Of course not. I'm saying that racism (in this case, anti-Semitism) is more serious than the critique of a culture or religion. I didn't say that the death of a Jew is more important than the death of somebody else. Violent persecution is equally bad, whether it is the result of racism or not. The point I am making is that anti-Islamic and anti-Christianity sentiment are based on the ideologies of the two religions, which is absolutely fair (and sensible, in my opinion); whereas anti-Semitic sentiment has historically been about race. They can't be compared.

I'm not sure why you've brought up the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. For your information, I am opposed to modern day Zionism and the Occupation of Palestine in the West Bank and Gaza.

(Original post by JAR12)
    Judaism is NOT a RACE.
    Discrimination against Judaism is the same as discrimination against any other RELIGION.
    Jews do not merit special treatment. No religious group merits special treatment.

You will find anti-Zionists. Anti-Semitists? Far fewer, and only in the same proportion as anti-Christians, anti-Muslims etc.
    The word 'Jewish' describes an ethnic group and a racial group, as well as a religion. How else do you explain atheist Jews, like the one in my avatar?

Anti-Semitism, 99% of the time, is not concerned with the Jewish religion. It is concerned with the Jewish race.

Being anti a certain religion is another matter altogether. If I want to criticise Islam, Christianity or the Jewish religion, then I am fully entitled to do that. Racism, which is what anti-Semitism is, is unacceptable and can't be justified.

ReputationRep:
    The word 'Jewish' describes an ethnic group and a racial group, as well as a religion. How else do you explain atheist Jews, like the one in my avatar?
    And I fully contest this point, this hereditary principle which people assume. If you're atheist, you're not Jewish. To be Jewish is to follow Judaism - a religion. One cannot be Jewish simply because one's parents are. I see anti-Semitism/anti-Judaism and anti-Zionism, but nothing distinguishing a race.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not saying that Jews deserve more respect than anyone else. Of course not. I'm saying that racism (in this case, anti-Semitism) is more serious than the critique of a culture or religion. I didn't say that the death of a Jew is more important than the death of somebody else. Violent persecution is equally bad, whether it is the result of racism or not. The point I am making is that anti-Islamic and anti-Christianity sentiment are based on the ideologies of the two religions, which is absolutely fair (and sensible, in my opinion); whereas anti-Semitic sentiment has historically been about race. They can't be compared.

I'm not sure why you've brought up the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. For your information, I am opposed to modern day Zionism and the Occupation of Palestine in the West Bank and Gaza.

Anti-Semitism, 99% of the time, is not concerned with the Jewish religion. It is concerned with the Jewish race.

Being anti a certain religion is another matter altogether. If I want to criticise Islam, Christianity or the Jewish religion, then I am fully entitled to do that. Racism, which is what anti-Semitism is, is unacceptable and can't be justified.
    well what you call merely just 'critique of a culture or religion' is in fact RACISM. don't know how one differ than the other. the point you trying to make is basically, racism against the Jews is bad or worser than...say racism against Muslims, Christians, or Hindus? am i right?
    again, there is no logic there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAR12)
    And I fully contest this point, this hereditary principle which people assume. If you're atheist, you're not Jewish. To be Jewish is to follow Judaism - a religion. One cannot be Jewish simply because one's parents are. I see anti-Semitism/anti-Judaism and anti-Zionism, but nothing distinguishing a race.
    So you don't consider the likes of Steven Spielberg, the Milibands and Albert Einstein to be Jewish? Even though they refer to themselves as Jews, and under Jewish Law, are counted as Jewish?

Right oh.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.