Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently doing 4 A level subjects, however think it may be more beneficial for me to drop the one with the lowest prediction, and do just the 3.
    However, if I drop 1, and only have the 3 subjects, could any universities give me offers for 4 subjects, as I'd have 4 predicted grades on my application?
    Please help me with some advice! I'm worried that if i drop english now, i could get an offer from a uni i really want to go to for 4 subjects! Would this actually happen, and has it been known for 4 grade offers to exist?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure unis will only ask for 3 A levels.. even Oxford. Some unis like Warwick may ask for an additional AS grade as well as 3 A levels but seeing as you've already got that you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I think you'd have to tell them though. Why don't you telephone/email the universities asking them what they think?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you drop one you do need to tell them. Otherwise, you've effectively lied on your UCAS form and they can cancel your application. Also, if you miss your grades they might be more lenient if you were doing 4 than if you're doing 3.

If any do give you a 4 grade offer and you tell them you've dropped one then they may change your offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loose_moose)
    I'm pretty sure unis will only ask for 3 A levels.. even Oxford. Some unis like Warwick may ask for an additional AS grade as well as 3 A levels but seeing as you've already got that you should be fine
    Thanks! I'm worried the uni's will request english as one of the 3 A-levels :eek:

ReputationRep:
    exact same predicament, but if i drop it after i got offers will they be ok with it do u think?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if you can drop it after the offers. A boy in my school tryed to drop chem but they wouldnt let him. He had AAA ofer from Cambridge. He ended up taking the chem exam but he hadnt gone to any lessons or done any revision.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to tell UCAS and/or the unis you've applied to because otherwise you've given false information and any you've already got offers from could then change it, but I doubt they would since most people only do 3 A-levels anyway and that's all they ask for.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by LondonBoy)
    exact same predicament, but if i drop it after i got offers will they be ok with it do u think?
    I dropped a subject after I got my offers and was fine. Warwick even changed my offer from 4 A Levels to 3. However, this does depend on the uni so try to inform them as soon as you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I dropped a subject after I got my offers and was fine. Warwick even changed my offer from 4 A Levels to 3. However, this does depend on the uni so try to inform them as soon as you can.
    That's very nice of Warwick indeed.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.