Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limesasquatch)
    Hence all the cutbacks by the Conservative govt.

We cant be pouring all tax money into lost causes and lazy ****s.

The country has to move forward.
    What do you propose then, to people who generally can't afford a job? Let them starve, freeze, be homeless even?

Plus our parents get taxed a hell of a lot, why shouldn't we get some of it back when it's needed??

I think you should be more concerned with the money spent on wars.

ReputationRep:
    I've not read it all, but here is the correct answer.

If you are working for less than 16 hours a week, you are entitled to sign on. HOWEVER, you will only have your wages topped up to the current rate of JSA if you earn less than this. The first £5 is exempt. In other words, your work is never going to effectively pay you more than £5 a week.

And if you quit the job, unless you can show you had a good reason to quit it, your benefit can be suspended.

ReputationRep:
    correct^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    What do you propose then, to people who generally can't afford a job? Let them starve, freeze, be homeless even?

Plus our parents get taxed a hell of a lot, why shouldn't we get some of it back when it's needed??

I think you should be more concerned with the money spent on wars.
    Lots of money is being spent on many things as well as wars.

ReputationRep:
    Just get on the dole mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlwithsharpteeth)
    If you haven't had a decision letter and have only been to 2 signings, are you certain they have made a decision on your claim yet or are they still processing it?
    I agree with this, it's possible that your claim just hasn't been processed yet. Depending on how busy the BDC is, it could take a bit longer. Also, you'll need to provide pay slips with the B7's or nothing will be paid out. They need proof of your earnings.

No problem if you have your local JCs direct number that would probably be better because they don't always write very good notes on the national CIS system (and sometimes don't bother at all, which makes things very difficult sometimes! :rolleyes: ) but if you don't have their number or can't get through, use the national number and they'll be able to tell you whatever is written on your CIS file. I would tell you myself but I could go to prison for violating your data rights, so not a very good idea
    So...you work in a BDC or on the benefit enquiries phone line I'm guessing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limesasquatch)
    Hence all the cutbacks by the Conservative govt.

We cant be pouring all tax money into lost causes and lazy ****s.

The country has to move forward.
    I agree we can't keep pouring money into lost causes and lazy people who have no intention of working. This person however has said that they DO work and yet because their hours have been cut they will be getting less money then the time wasters who are on JSA.

Just because someone is on JSA you can't assume they are lazy. I know of many people who are on it and that they have no intention of getting a job. However, there are still people who use it for its correct purpose, to help them with living costs whilst they find a new job.

You are classing everyone who claims benefits the same. This just isn't the case. For instance...
    Man 1 - Worked for 30 years paying tax and NI, lost his job and is now struggling to find work but gets help from the Gov in the form of around £50 a week. Not even enough to cover his living expenses.
    Man 2 - Left school and went straight on to JSA. Has no intention of working yet he gets the same money as Man 1. Decides to go to college, which he gets paid for, has a flat, which is paid for and now gets Income support and EMA. A total of £80 per week plus accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    I was on JSA, but I got a job that was 12 hours a week. I took it, because I got paid a little more than I would on JSA. THEN, they cut my hours to 7.5, meaning I am considerably worse off.

I have been to the jobcentre, and they won't "top me up." I am applying for other jobs, but who knows how long it will take to find one
    As people have already stated, you can still claim jobseekers allowance if you work for 16 hours a week. That's the maximum you are allowed to work for if you want to receive jsa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gateshipone)
    I agree with this, it's possible that your claim just hasn't been processed yet. Depending on how busy the BDC is, it could take a bit longer. Also, you'll need to provide pay slips with the B7's or nothing will be paid out. They need proof of your earnings.

So...you work in a BDC or on the benefit enquiries phone line I'm guessing?
    LA actually, but still have access to the CIS systems. Used to be welfare advice but HB/CTB since moving to a new area a couple of years ago.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.