Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cooksie5)
    Reading a thread like this makes me a bit concerned about the apparant lack of critical thought that has gone into your responses. You say it is offensive, unpatriotic etc though you're completely missing the point of the cartoon, which is not to criticise the ceremonies at Wootton Bassett.

Steve Bell is articulating the irony of government powers which wish to promote life whilst simultaneously destroying it in pursuit of a 'greater good' that we'll never achieve. It's exposing political power today for what it is: hypocritical and contradictory.

If any of you have ever read any Giorgio Agamben, you might understand the many levels of this cartoon.
    Yeah, I think you're misunderstanding how incredibly simple and uncryptic the message is. Most people cottoned on at first glance however I see understanding the strip was a triumph for you so I applaud your achievement. :congrats:

The reason it isn't funny is it's so simple and witless. Most of Steve Bell's comics are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    I don't think any of Steve Bell's comics are funny. If you're going to make a controversial comic strip at least make it humorous otherwise it's just a massive cringefest.
    It's political commentary, not comedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cooksie5)
    It's political commentary, not comedy.
    No it's not. It's a comic strip; comic strips are made for entertainment, and Steve Bell is a cartoonist not a political commentator. You think his work is published in The Guardian because people value the political opinion of some random left-wing cartoonist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    No it's not. It's a comic strip; comic strips are made for entertainment, and Steve Bell is a cartoonist not a political commentator. You think his work is published in The Guardian because people value the political opinion of some random left-wing cartoonist?
    1. I was more making a comment on how supposedly intelligent young people can view things in black and white without considering any other less obvious meanings.

2. It IS political commentary and if you can't see that then you're blind. Just because someone uses a medium which you consider to have to be soley for entertainment does not mean that is all it's used for. That's like saying 'Have I Got News For You' is not political commentary because it's a TV show.

3. If every time someone disagrees with you, you're going to resort to sarcasm, rather than trying to understand an alternative opinion, then I pity you. It shows a lack of open mindedness which I've come to expect from people today.

*Sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Also, you note politics and political theory as interest of yours. How can you look at this cartoon in such a simplistic way without considering its politics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GwrxVurfer)
    I cannot understand how people who claim these soldiers are fighting for freedom can simultaneously cry for this act (freedom of speech/expression) to be restricted, or even outright banned, just because they think it offends people. It really is doublethink. If the dead soldiers being carried through Wootton Bassett really were fighting for freedom, then they would have understood - When you fight for a nation, you aren't just fighting so people can praise you, you are fighting so that people will have the freedom to criticize you as well.

It's when things are banned because they might cause "offence" to others, that we begin to look a lot like Nazi Germany. To anyone who supports "offensive" speech being banned, I will say one thing: What if I find YOUR beliefs offensive: should your expression of those offensive beliefs be restricted?

Thank you! I agree. I'm not even saying I found the cartoon hilarious, I just cannot understand this simpleminded thought process. Of course soldiers being carried through Wootton Bassett is a touchy subject, but is IS a political matter as much as anything else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.