Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Our cancer survival rates are pisspoor and waiting lists are too long. The US doesn't suffer either of these problems because it is not the taxpayers that pay for everyones' healthcare, it is themselves. End the nonsense now and privatise the NHS. If you disagree with me then it shows that you cannot face the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and what about people that can't afford the healthcare, are you happy to let them die? If you have such a problem with the NHS go use private care like BUPA or something.

What a stupid thing to say the NHS is a great thing, sure it could be better but privatising it is not a good enough solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alhae)
    Our cancer survival rates are pisspoor and waiting lists are too long. The US doesn't suffer either of these problems because it is not the taxpayers that pay for everyones' healthcare, it is themselves. End the nonsense now and privatise the NHS. If you disagree with me then it shows that you cannot face the truth.
    LOOL!

ReputationRep:
    And what about those of us with long term illnesses and disabilities? Do we have to pay more for being disabled? As we'd need more help from the NHS in the long run. What about people who can't afford the help? I'm long term ill (mentally and in a way physically) and can hardly afford things at the moment, let alone if I suddenly had to start paying to see the GP/hospital. No. Just no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alhae)
    How about the people who can't afford private healthcare? We already have private healthcare anyway, in case you hadn't noticed. It's just that if you don't have that much money you can go for the NHS instead.

(Original post by Alhae)
    Indeed, but if the insurance company says sorry, we don't think you can benefit from treatment (see: we want to increase our profits) they let you die like a stray animal and they don't even give you a chance.....not to mention what happens to the poor population.

Many European countries have a free NHS, how come they are classed among the best health services in the world.

ReputationRep:
    ignorance is bliss!

ReputationRep:
    I think the NHS should remain free at the point of access - healthcare is a fundamental right. I do think more private-sector management wouldn't go amiss however.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, the NHS is slowly becoming more and more privatised. Especially the proposal the new government want to put in place, it will cause the NHS to become more and more private.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alhae)
    I can face the truth. Don't be arrogant
    If you have a problem; go private.
    there are places in the US where people sit on pavements with signs asking for money for 'retroviruls'....I don't fancy seeing that here to be honest.
    If you had to have a hip operation, cataract operation or similar would you be able to pay £15K and upwards?
    Most people can not. The NHS defines the UK, its about the only good thing we have at the moment. There are plenty of poeple who can not afford to live let alone pay for healthcare. Get some perspective!
    I don't want my doctor to see me as an income or price tag, I want them to see me on the principle that they are there to care for me.
    On principle, Healthcare should be free at the point of care, regardelss of income.
    We have already seen what privatisation of the railways did. The banks stuffed us up and they're private. So no, private isn't the answer, better management maybe is however. And neither is arrogance.

ReputationRep:
    without the NHS either my family would be in A LOT of debt or would be still saving up so that in a year or two I could have the operation that having the NHS allowed me to have 3 years ago. the whole thing was hard enough without having to factor in financial worries as well. That was for a something that I could have waited for if I had to and it wasn't a life saving operation so I dread to think what privatizing the NHS would do to family's that would get told something like "your son needs this £15k operation in the next few days to save his life"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Alhae)
    The US we-are-number-37-compared-to-Britain-number-18-on-the-world-healthcare rankings?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12771594

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...Americans.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...years-old.html

Hmm.

Of course! You're right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alhae)
    The worst person in an argument cannot accept both sides.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alhae)
    Go to America then.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1535524

ReputationRep:
    I think its a discussion we as a nation seriously need to have (although I think the EU question is far more pressing and important), we shouldn't be ideologically attached to the NHS if there are better alternatives. While I am quite fond of the NHS, privatization may have to be an option in the future which is why we shouldn't shun it and actually get in on the debate so the nation can decide what happens to it and not some directive that gets handed down from the Evil Empire that is the EU or some busy-body bureaucrat in Whitehall.

If it were to be changed I would look at the Singapore style health care system which is semi-privatized, basically you pay half towards your treatments and the government pays the other half with money raised from taxes.

However, as I stated before I am quite fond of the NHS so I would rather we simply leave the EU and use some of the money we save from that to fund the NHS better.

Pragmatically speaking now is probably not the best time.

ReputationRep:
    America has a very odd health care system. Even if we moved towards privatisation their model would be a daft one to emulate.

ReputationRep:
    No, fully privatizing a completely publicly owned service so quickly would be suicide. It needs to be done incrementally and over a period of time. The first thing we need to start doing is encouraging more people to take out private health insurance. The we need to start means testing our healthcare. This system works fantastically in Australia. Basically, when you go to the doctors/hospital you pay the bill up front and then claim back a certain percentage of that money depending on your income. It's a sliding scale so if you're poor you can claim back around 90% of your bills from the government and if you're rich you can only claim back around 15%. If we had a system like this as our NHS then we would save so much money, and it would also encourage people to just go private if they can afford to. But yes, I agree with the principal of part privatisation.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.