Turn on thread page Beta

Bread, glorious bread! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by it'smelaura)
    This intrigued me, I found myself Googling furiously and I'm still not sure - is potato bread similar to potato cakes?

Can you only get it in Ireland? I feel like I'm missing out! :cry2:
    Try googling potato farls? Ehm, no. Nothing like potato cakes

We used to 'smuggle' it over to my grand parents in Scotland you're definitely missing out! Great with a fry-up or buttered

ReputationRep:
    Norwegians love bread. Breakfast, lunch, sometimes used for dinner as well.
    And the bread is really good.

Mhmm bread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converselove)
    Try googling potato farls? Ehm, no. Nothing like potato cakes

We used to 'smuggle' it over to my grand parents in Scotland you're definitely missing out! Great with a fry-up or buttered
    Mmmm, potato farls :love: I spend far, far too much money on them...and have to hide them when I buy them, because my mum loves them almost as much as I do and she'd quite happily steal them if I left them out :p:

Although in Scotland and England, they are known as potato cakes...or at least, to anyone shopping in the likes of Tesco or Asda, that's what they're sold as (Nick Nairn sells them as potato scones, but most of the competitor brands call them potato cakes)

Anyway, baking bread is one of my absolute true loves. I've been doing it since I was in uni and am always looking for new methods to try out. One of the best (and simplest) I've found is the Sullivan St Bakery no-knead recipe:

Yesterday I bought this book from WH Smith and will be gradually working my way through it

ReputationRep:
    I love bread, but apparently it makes you fat.

But I don't care because I LOVE BREAD. I could eat it for every meal.

ReputationRep:
    I love all bread in all forms, I don't discriminate :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I work in a bakery at home, and it's got to the point where I don't really smell the bread anymore
    Tastes so good though. I just eat chunks of crusty bread with loads of butter on, nom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    Mmmm, potato farls :love: I spend far, far too much money on them...and have to hide them when I buy them, because my mum loves them almost as much as I do and she'd quite happily steal them if I left them out :p:

Although in Scotland and England, they are known as potato cakes...or at least, to anyone shopping in the likes of Tesco or Asda, that's what they're sold as (Nick Nairn sells them as potato scones, but most of the competitor brands call them potato cakes)
    Hahah I just buy the cheap ones for £1 something! Doesn't really make a difference if you're frying them. I have to hide pretty much everything cause my brother and step dad act like animals with nom things!!

Ooooo really? Never knew that! We never had to buy them in Scotland cause we just brought our own over. Interesting! Bet they don't taste half as nice over here though!

ReputationRep:
    ASDA Tiger Bread... with some Lurpak butter.
    You can't go wrong with it really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converselove)
    Bet they don't taste half as nice over here though!
    No :no: Same with soda farls...but then, you can't really beat homemade soda bread :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I wonder... do proper Scottish Tattie Scones count as bread?

Even just a toasted, spreaded tattie scone for breakfast... AW MA LAWDY ME, AH DO DECLARE.

*fans self off*

(Original post by Dalimyr)

Anyway, baking bread is one of my absolute true loves. I've been doing it since I was in uni and am always looking for new methods to try out. One of the best (and simplest) I've found is the Sullivan St Bakery no-knead recipe:

Yesterday I bought this book from WH Smith and will be gradually working my way through it
    That actually looks easy. I've been meaning to try my hands at baking bread for a while now and tbh I don't know where to start.

Although he seems to make it look easy so I'll probably end up trying one of his http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/search/label/Breads

ReputationRep:
    Thought some of you bread-lovers out there may appreciate these few snapshots of what I consider to be heaven. Doughy delights, and highlights the versatility of the wonderful bread!

Ham, beef, gherkins, oozing with sauce, crispy top. Nice.

My idea of a baby in a basket! My bready babies!

Egg, dripping yolk, sandwiched together between slices of the finest white. "I", I mean, "Fry" love it!

Warm, fresh. now..where's the oil and balsamic?

A little bit of french to take your fancy!

Can even be sweet. Oh bread, is there anything you can't do?

Baguette time. Which is, all the time? Or it should be!

<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    That actually looks easy. I've been meaning to try my hands at baking bread for a while now and tbh I don't know where to start.
    It really is easy...the dough's very wet and sticky, and in my experience wasn't as easy to shape into a ball as he did it, but that didn't matter - just chuck the dough into the hot casserole dish or whatever and it'll spread out to the sides of the dish then start climbing up as it cooks.

Although he seems to make it look easy so I'll probably end up trying one of his http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/search/label/Breads
    Ah, Chef John It might actually have been his no-knead ciabatta recipe that made me find his Youtube videos a few months back. Either that or his chicken wing recipes. His videos are brilliant :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jsmalley1)
    I gave up bread for lent. So I will be lusting over this thread.
    wow that's impressive. i might give this a go next year, i don't often come up with anything good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    Thought some of you bread-lovers out there may appreciate these few snapshots of what I consider to be heaven. Doughy delights, and highlights the versatility of the wonderful bread!

In all seriousness now, marry me

ReputationRep:
    mmmmmmm.
    for me it has to be lightly toasted brown bread, stuffed with fried egg (runny yolk included ;D), ****loads of bacon, and a small spoonful of beans.

if i had to strike a deal with someone that i could only eat one recipe for the rest of my life, let it be this....i'll be VERY happy to comply. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    I am yet to meet someone (celiacs not inc.) who do not adore bread in one way or another! Some like it toasted, some plain, some crustless, some processed into crumbs and stuck on the top of another dish. Some like it eggy, others like it fried and some like it covered in beans and cheese. Do we go brown, wholemeal, white or best of both? Seeds or no seeds?! I can honestly say I would struggle to enjoy my life if you were to take my bread away.

But, what is the BEST way to have bread? If you were told you could only ever use it in one form, which would you choose?

For me, I think it'd have to be using bread in a triangle toastie. Full of beans, ham and lots of cheese! Crisp, warm and utterly yummy.
    I haven't had the chance to make/try it yet, but i'd go radical and go for melonpan. Sweet bread, with melon/pineapple cream/cookie flavour topping.

I do love my bread, but i have a massive sweet tooth, plus, if i wanted eggs or summat i can always use english muffins/crumpets/waffles instead :p:

Every once in a while i will grab a seeded batch though

ReputationRep:
    Baking my own fresh bread every day from scatch makes me so happy and as far as I know, quite unique. Spelt flour rolls are my absolute favourite because the flour is very nutritious and wholesome with a lovely nutty flavour, complemented delightfully by the honey that goes into them. They're also fat-free After they've cooled for a few hours, they're still warm and crunchy on the outside, but light and moist on the inside. One toasted with honey for breakfast and one plain for lunch every day. I refuse to eat anything else.

ReputationRep:
    For me it'd have to be warm Ciabatta with Balsamic Vinegar and and Olive Oil.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.