Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do people have any advice on how to really get to grips with these types of questions and the ways you can revise for them?

ReputationRep:
    Learn about bias, fair tests, different variables (ie control), and that's really it. Also, maybe hypothesis and predictions.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could offer you help, but for whatever reason the HSW stuff just seems to come naturally to me. So I have no idea how to practice for them or what to suggest!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    learning the definitions is a very good place to start, you could read some books, I haven't tried any so I can't recommend any. I'm using the nelson thornes book(I'm doing A2 Biology for AQA), and there are useful HSW questions and topics at the end of each chapter, thats how I revise them sorts of things.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, I can’t guarantee that my recommendation will help as I’m lucky enough to have been exposed to scientific concepts and data throughout my life. As a result, scientific approaches and analytical thought patterns are somewhat engrained in my mind. Of course, I can still appreciate the ambiguity and anxiety induced by the erratic nature of HSW questions so I hope you find a way to master them prior to your exam. I’m sure that you’ll succeed in achieving that given your proactive attitude!

Anyhoo, the source that I’ve found the most helpful is called ‘Data and Data Handling for A2 Level Biology’ by Bill Indge. It helped because it primarily focuses on practice questions that allow you to develop your own mental ‘style’ for dissecting the relevant factors and conceiving of flaws/extrapolations. I loathed books that merely listed examples of scientific jargon or guided me through data analysis step-by-step as that merely showed me the mentality of another rather than allowing me to adapt. If you’re the same then I think the Bill Indge book is succinct and efficient, if a bit simplistic.

I'd wish you luck but I'm sure you won't need it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.