Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    Just one problem: Ladies only BUT you seem to have forgotten the 'T' in LGBT. What about the Transexuals?
    HA! I just saw someone make that point very subtly) and explicitly told them they're right. Win points wins! .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I identify as gay. I refuse to use the word lesbian to relate to me.

Anyway... Hi.
    Where do you stand on people who don't fall into the categories of "male" and "female"?
    Also do you avoid using the word lesbian because of the political ramifications the word can have with regards to identity politics (or more explicitly women's independence/rights movements)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    HA! I just saw someone make that point very subtly) and explicitly told them they're right. Win points wins! .
    There are transexuals who identfy as ladies and who like other women so think again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serenb)
    There are transexuals who identfy as ladies and who like other women so think again
    Yes but which ever view you take there are issues. Because if that's the case then the 'T' is meaningless as they already identify as ladies. If you leave it in it's not applicable either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tara_Ward)
    This^

Feel free to make a male soc though

The group is in response to a few threads. And i'm a bit of a noob but when you search for groups pertaining to lgbt there aren't any results :/
    As I said, if you look under Societies and Society Chat forum, you'll find the well-established LGBT Soc Chat thread, which has many very friendly lesbians. I don't quite see the point in segregating.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone fits under multiple labels, and not just in terms of sexuality and/or gender. I use different ones under different circumstances depending on the the situation I am in although I don't wholly prescribe to any of them. Like I prefer being refered to as gay, as I personally like that word better but occasionally i will refer to myself as a lesbian because some people only understand my sexuality under that term.

Everyone has their preference to how they identify themselves so surely LGBT just covers a wider spectrum, although even that doesn't include every identity possible but then where do you stop? The acronym would become ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemo14)
    Hello! - Any lesbians have any opinions on whether UCL or Bristol would have a better LGBT environment?
    UCL, because I'm possibly going there next year :awesome: I would imagine either would be fine, to be honest - they're both in pretty large cities.

(Original post by B-Man.)
    Just one problem: Ladies only BUT you seem to have forgotten the 'T' in LGBT. What about the Transexuals?
    Transwomen are women and so are covered by 'ladies'. Transmen, or anyone else who doesn't identify as female, isn't female and thus isn't a lesbian. That said it's insanely hypocritical of me to be here - I'm female-bodied (well, it's not a 'female' body, it's MY body and thus it can be whatever gender I want to call it, but we digress) and I tend to date females, but I'm genderqueer and tend to being male. I call myself a lesbian because that's how it looks on the outside, but I don't know if I can date lesbians for the simple reason that they wouldn't be dating me as a male, they'd be dating me as a female, and that would be emotionally dishonest.

(Original post by Serenb)
    Everyone has their preference to how they identify themselves so surely LGBT just covers a wider spectrum, although even that doesn't include every identity possible but then where do you stop? The acronym would become ridiculous!
    I use 'LGBT+' for this reason. L is for lesbian, G for gay, B for bisexual and T for transgender - and then the + covers intersex, genderqueer, asexual, agender, transvestites etc.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Anyway. Now that's cleared up....Hello. I'm Eve, Mid 20s (yes I've reached that ripe old age) Bisexual bohemian femme. Finished my Physiology degree and doing another course on top of that because I've had a career rethink. Living in North London. Always keen to meet new people. Particularly fond of curvaceous femme women but also like feminine/boho men who are dreamers like myself . Just not too much a fan of masculinity in the stereotypical sense of the word in general methinks.
    I like Old Techno, Old House music and funk and soul. Passionately. I make my own music in my spare time and I like wine and cheese. You'd probably see me hanging out in an old mans pub, a gallery or a small bar with a dancefloor

ReputationRep:
    Where do you stand on people who don't fall into the categories of "male" and "female"?
    Also do you avoid using the word lesbian because of the political ramifications the word can have with regards to identity politics (or more explicitly women's independence/rights movements)?
    Well I'm not so convinced I fit into either of those categories. I don't feel I need to. I'm just me.

Nah. When I first came out I used gay mainly because I didn't like the sound of the work 'lesbian' and because 'gay' has less stereotypes connected to it in relation to women. And a tiny bit because I wasn't sure I was female. Now I can't use it in connection to me because I had a friend who could never understand my reasoning on this issue and used to call me a lesbian and I like to forget about they way he treated me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Well I'm not so convinced I fit into either of those categories. I don't feel I need to. I'm just me.

Nah. When I first came out I used gay mainly because I didn't like the sound of the work 'lesbian' and because 'gay' has less stereotypes connected to it in relation to women. And a tiny bit because I wasn't sure I was female. Now I can't use it in connection to me because I had a friend who could never understand my reasoning on this issue and used to call me a lesbian and I like to forget about they way he treated me.
    I don't really think homosexuality works as a concept, I don't believe in homosexuals in the real world.
    Don't get me wrong, I also don't believe in heterosexuality or bisexuality, I don't think we can split it up into such specific things, and besides heterosexuality presupposes the idea of an opposite sex (I'm guessing you know there aren't just 2 sexes in the human species) and bisexuality is "both", and when you cut it up into it's literal meaning, bi=two, so yeah.
    I find it interesting we used to break it down into actions instead.
    I guess in a similar way it goes back to a really basic point as well; "one is not born but becomes...".

I'm sorry to hear you weren't treated nicely .

Do you mind if I ask why you weren't sure you're female.
    And this may feed your prejudice if you have one; but if you don't for any reasons (including the following information) I understand. I'm male, both in gender (which I believe is binary, but also very broad) and sex.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we can split it up into such specific things, and besides heterosexuality presupposes the idea of an opposite sex (I'm guessing you know there aren't just 2 sexes in the human species) and bisexuality is "both", and when you cut it up into it's literal meaning, bi=two, so yeah.
    I guess in a similar way it goes back to a really basic point as well; "one is not born but becomes...".
    I actually agree fully, and this is something I need to think about more myself. I don't know, though, if people who do fit within the gender binary can still identify as heterosexual/homosexual - if you're a cisgender, XX 'female' and you're only attracted to cisgender, XX 'females', for example, are you not then a lesbian?

(Also, I happened to be doing a bit of casual profile stalking. You're in Hull?! I live about 15 minutes away! What a peculiar coincidence :eek:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemo14)
    Hello! - Any lesbians have any opinions on whether UCL or Bristol would have a better LGBT environment?
    I'm from Bristol orginally. I don't know about the uni but I know the city has a fairly good gay scene.

ReputationRep:
    Is this that pervy guy who pretends to be a lesbian teenage girl again?

ReputationRep:
    Laura, 20, Sheffield University studying History and English Literature for anyone whos interested.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think homosexuality works as a concept, I don't believe in homosexuals in the real world.
    Don't get me wrong, I also don't believe in heterosexuality or bisexuality, I don't think we can split it up into such specific things, and besides heterosexuality presupposes the idea of an opposite sex (I'm guessing you know there aren't just 2 sexes in the human species) and bisexuality is "both", and when you cut it up into it's literal meaning, bi=two, so yeah.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't treated nicely .

Do you mind if I ask why you weren't sure you're female.
    And this may feed your prejudice if you have one; but if you don't for any reasons (including the following information) I understand. I'm male, both in gender (which I believe is binary, but also very broad) and sex.
    You can but I don't think I have an answer. I'm not butch. I'm small, I love dresses, shoes and shopping, I care about how I look. I don't act 'male' (If that's possible - which I don't believe). It's more the way when someone says 'girls' I assume they're not talking to me and I cringe when I realise they are. How I'm happy to be classed as part of 'the boys' in my physics class yet I know I'm not male either.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so, ignoring all the conflict in this thread...
    :hello: I'm Aimee and I'm 19

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I actually agree fully, and this is something I need to think about more myself. I don't know, though, if people who do fit within the gender binary can still identify as heterosexual/homosexual - if you're a cisgender, XX 'female' and you're only attracted to cisgender, XX 'females', for example, are you not then a lesbian?

(Also, I happened to be doing a bit of casual profile stalking. You're in Hull?! I live about 15 minutes away! What a peculiar coincidence :eek:)
    I'm not right now :P:.
    But I will be again on Monday!
    Are you at the uni?
    If so, have you done theorising gender.
    Oh and presuming you've read theorizing gender, Kathleen Lennon is one of my lectures (or should be, she's just gone part time).

Have you read the five sexes article?

ReputationRep:
    Awesome thread. Nice to meet you all. Gemma, 18, Exeter now and Leicester in October.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not right now :P:.
    But I will be again on Monday!
    Are you at the uni?
    If so, have you done theorising gender.
    Oh and presuming you've read theorizing gender, Kathleen Lennon is one of my lectures (or should be, she's just gone part time).

Have you read the five sexes article?
    I'm sadly not a student there, rather someone who lives in a town outside of it (wary of posting identifying information, but to be honest there are not very many towns in this area so it's probably quite obvious where I live ) and does maths and not sociology/queer theory/etc. (Out of interest, what do you study? My dad works in their part-time department and teaches on some part-time English/philosophy courses, so weirdly enough, you may well have run into him around the campus )

I haven't read anywhere near as much as I should have read - I really need to fix that to be honest My genderqueer education comes mainly from personal experience and following people on tumblr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I'm sadly not a student there, rather someone who lives in a town outside of it (wary of posting identifying information, but to be honest there are not very many towns in this area so it's probably quite obvious where I live ) and does maths and not sociology/queer theory/etc. (Out of interest, what do you study? My dad works in their part-time department and teaches on some part-time English/philosophy courses, so weirdly enough, you may well have run into him around the campus )

I haven't read anywhere near as much as I should have read - I really need to fix that to be honest My genderqueer education comes mainly from personal experience and following people on tumblr.
    Over the summer get your dad to take theorizing gender out of the library, it's a great book.
    I'm studying philosophy.

And I've not guessed 4 places you might be living, although I'm really certain it's not 2 of them, and is probably my last guess!
    I used to live just outside of the McDonalds on that road...

PM me your dad's name?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.