Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else involved through college/6th form in these exams? As A-levels are getting oh so easier :motz: , the government are thinking of introducing american style 'aptitude' tests to go alongside A-levels for uni's to use to determine what we're gonna be like at uni. There is like this 5 year study before they may/may not come into action and at our 6th form everyone in the upper 6th has to do these SAT aptitude test type thingys. Firstly we were only made aware of these tests today and have to do them next thursday!! and secondly they are such as joke! they've got english and a maths section to them. Now i have done neither of these subjects for very nearly two years and their expecting us to answer questions like this...

(you have to say what is wrong with the sentence, if anything)

After hours of futile debate, the committe has decided to postpone further discussion of the resolution until their next meeting.
    No error

(each of the underlined bit is something that could possibly be wrong and you have to say which one is wrong, or whether there is no error)

Now, to me, that looks fine! i would say there is nothing wrong with that sentence. Anyway the answer is below.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Apparently...(They could be tellin porkies for all i know because i havn't done english for two years etc etc!) The answer is Their, This is because a pronoun must agree with the noun to whihc it refers. Here the plural pronoun 'their' incorrectly refers to the singular pronoun 'committee'.

So yeh, it looks like a very hard tes which takes all day aswell!

Anyone else have to do em?

Oh plus it won't even be of any benefit to me because even if i did get a high score, ive already sent off my UCAS!

ReputationRep:
    takes 3 hours doesn't it? Not all day!!

You don't have to do it,, its voluntary because a few people from my school did it by choice.

ReputationRep:
    It was sprung on us and we all have to do it. We were told it would take the whole day in 25 minute bites!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete2406)
    It was sprung on us and we all have to do it. We were told it would take the whole day in 25 minute bites!
    Oh right, but I'm pretty sure its only 3 hours, perhaps your school is being leniant. Did you get the sample book which has sample questions for maths and english?

ReputationRep:
    We got a SAT Preparation Booklet 2005 UK Version. Half of the flipping questions in there have just been taken from American tests anyway. It has a question about seniors and softmores or something lol. ive only skimmed through the book, can't be bothered reading it all, i don't think i'm going to do too well in the test but hey it doesn't mean anything i suppose...and it'll give me an extra day to do a geography essay which should be in for the day we're doin the test. So i suppose not alls bad, but i still don't like the questions and stuff. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    my sister had to do it today, our school made Oxbridge, Medicine and Dentistry applicants do it. she said it is 3hrs 45minutes long

ReputationRep:
    The SAT is 3 hours 45 minutes long. It has two breaks, a five minute and a one minute break. Maths, Critical Reading and Writing skills are tested.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.