Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a shelf stacking job online (at least, I applied to the position that was "hardline assistant". I assume that's what it is (shows how much research I did..).

Anyway, I've been called for a group interview on Monday with around 14 other people. Has anyone had this?

ReputationRep:
    I had one of those last year.

They sit you all down in a room with several staff members and throw questions to the group. Ranging from 'what sort of attributes would you expect a tesco employee to have' to 'how would you aid an elderly, arthritic handbag on her quest to find condensed milk' or similar

I managed to progress through the group stage to the one-on-one interview. Unfortunately that is where Tesco and I parted ways.

I prefer to think they took issue with my personality, rather than my ability to scan and bag household goods.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ErinLeigh)
    I had one of those last year.

They sit you all down in a room with several staff members and throw questions to the group. Ranging from 'what sort of attributes would you expect a tesco employee to have' to 'how would you aid an elderly, arthritic handbag on her quest to find condensed milk' or similar

I managed to progress through the group stage to the one-on-one interview. Unfortunately that is where Tesco and I parted ways.

I prefer to think they took issue with my personality, rather than my ability to scan and bag household goods.

Good luck!
    Seems like a long process for such a simple job.. and you were turned down? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcusTheEskimo)
    I applied for a shelf stacking job online (at least, I applied to the position that was "hardline assistant". I assume that's what it is (shows how much research I did..).

Anyway, I've been called for a group interview on Monday with around 14 other people. Has anyone had this?
    Sounds like I attended the same interview today.

New Tesco on Park Road?

1000 interviewees' for only 300 jobs :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an interview 2moro for the new park road one... what happens in the interview??

ReputationRep:
    They should have a group discussion about 5 scenarios/questions. Just make sure you contribute to the discussion, smile and make eye contact with your team; not the interviewers dotted around the room.

If you could state any specific times that relate to the question, e.g at work, college, etc. then I believe the interviewers would like to hear that from you.

You may then have to individually introduce yourself and briefly state why you'd like to work for Tesco.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying

I hate anything like this, am really scared lol.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a long process for such a simple job.. and you were turned down? :confused:
    Lol you think that is long? Try applying for Apple.

Back on point though the generic questions, hypothetical questions.

Just be you, don't come across as too much but speak up though.

You should be fine. All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scouserkimmy)
    Thanks for replying

I hate anything like this, am really scared lol.
    Your welcome!

Hope it went well.

Me too, I was pretty nervous. It's just out most peoples comfort zones I suppose.

How did it go? :-)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone Hehe, 3 people applying for the same store (and maybe the same jobs) on TSR.

Good luck guys, my interview went alright(exact the same as, if not the same one that AccMaster described).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard back regarding their interview yet??

ReputationRep:
    My mum had an interview and she was told 3 weeks, which ended yesterday so she rung them and they said a few applications are on hold while their sorting out the shift patterns. She applied for the night shift, dunno if that makes any difference!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccMaster)
    Anyone heard back regarding their interview yet??
    I got rejected didn't say why, but I'm guessing a combination between:

a) other candidates can dedicate themselves full time
    b) other candidates are long term unemployed
    c) my interview wasn't too good
    d) they can't be bothered hiring a student who can only work half the year
    e) huge amounts of competition

ReputationRep:
    My mum didn't get the job either! They said in the email that the night job she went after had gone and they only had 5.30am - 10.30am available but thats no good to her so their going to keep her on file.

ReputationRep:
    I had a group interview for a night shift. Went well.
    The group interview is easy, they just ask you random questions, about 5 altogether. Just make sure you smile a lot, appear friendly, soeak up, dont shy away but also dont talk over others.
    I got the job, they phoned me up a week after the interview.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of questions were asked??

ReputationRep:
    Sounds daft but I have a group interview and am wondering is it a suit and tie job or just smart trousers and shirt.

ReputationRep:

I had a group interview at Tesco yesterday.
    There was supposed to be 10 of us, but only
    7 of us turned up. They took us into a room with 3 managers and asked two questions (when did you go above and beyond to help someone? and when did you accept and deal with a big change?) which we had to discuss as a group (the managers listened to our discussion so you have to speak up and join in).
    They then split us into two groups and gave us paper and tape. We had 5 minutes to plan and then 20 minutes to construct a 6ft tall tower.
    After that, we spent about 30 minutes on the shop floor, helping a Tesco employee and interacting with customers. Before we left, we had a one to one interview with one of the 3 managers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slightlystressed)
    I had a group interview at Tesco yesterday.
    There was supposed to be 10 of us, but only
    7 of us turned up. They took us into a room with 3 managers and asked two questions (when did you go above and beyond to help someone? and when did you accept and deal with a big change?) which we had to discuss as a group (the managers listened to our discussion so you have to speak up and join in).
    They then split us into two groups and gave us paper and tape. We had 5 minutes to plan and then 20 minutes to construct a 6ft tall tower.
    After that, we spent about 30 minutes on the shop floor, helping a Tesco employee and interacting with customers. Before we left, we had a one to one interview with one of the 3 managers.
    Did you even check the date of this thread?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.