Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so my friend applied to four med schools and no biomedical courses, and I applied to three med school and two biomed. unis. We each have one offer, him for A100 and me for biomedicine.

The problem is that even though on the surface I'm acting like I don't care, and congratulating him on his offer, I can't help but feel sour, because (I'm being honest here) he doesn't really deserve it.

Without going into too much detail for fear he'll come across this thread, he hardly ever attends lessons, got rubbish GCSE grades, apparently based his PS on one he found online and does annoying stuff that I've edited out because I'm an idiot and know he might find out.

I'm gracious in accepting offers, but I just thought I'd share my rant about how unfair and inconsistent the admissions' processes are at different medical schools, and wonder if I should grow the hell up, or if I'm justified in being frustrated. I know it's a hard, competitive course to apply for; more so than most, but I've wanted to be a doctor for so long, and I was so sure I had a good PS and grades that may have at least earned me an inteview. It feels like these past few years of hard work have been all wasted, yet he coasts by sitting on his arse, and manages to get a conditional.

ReputationRep:
    Life's a *****.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like a combination of jealousy and sense of injustice. Unfortunately, there's nothing much you can do about it, apart from go and scream at him, which isn't going to look very good on you.

It's an unfair world - I've experienced the same thing with my application to uni, with someone who's so blasé but still manages to get 5 straight offers from great universities. But c'est la vie, you just have to rant for a bit, then get over it and know that you'll be a better person because of it.

Also, if he is as bad as you say, he won't do especially well at medical school. That's 5 or 6 years of absolute dedication to a very difficult, intense course and if he's not got his heart in it, he won't succeed. Similarly, if he applies the same techniques in writing his essays as he did with his PS, then he'll soon be caught out. As for stealing chemicals from the lab, if that's true, it's only a matter of time before he's caught as well.

As I said, there's nothing much you can do now, but BioMed is still a great course to be on and no doubt you can still become a doctor afterwards if that's your intention. Your years of hard work certainly haven't been wasted - you've just been unlucky. UCAS applications always have a certain amount of subjectivity in them and it is by no means an infallible system. But where you go to university and what course you study doesn't always have to determine your future - you still have control over that and you can still do as well, if not better than him, as long as you don't give up.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    ouch

ReputationRep:
    Good things happen to all sorts of people.
    If he's as bad as you make out, he'll either drop out, when he realizes how hard it is; or he'll get kicked out for being an utter douche.

ReputationRep:
    yes, you're being jealous. you don't know all the details of his application.. he may have been very impressive at interview.

ReputationRep:
    If he's a **** up he's going to miss his offer.

Otherwise ring the bomb squad around the time of the A2 exams.

ReputationRep:
    He won't last long if he's as you've described so forget him and worry about yourself

ReputationRep:
    i was annoyed at my friends 3 offers for medicine
    mainly because he did no work and teachers stopped asking him for it
    and was getting lower offers due to "special circumstances"
    ...********

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seasick Steve)
    OK, so my friend applied to four med schools and no biomedical courses, and I applied to three med school and two biomed. unis. We each have one offer, him for A100 and me for biomedicine.

The problem is that even though on the surface I'm acting like I don't care, and congratulating him on his offer, I can't help but feel sour, because (I'm being honest here) he doesn't really deserve it.

Without going into too much detail for fear he'll come across this thread, he hardly ever attends lessons, got rubbish GCSE grades, apparently based his PS on one he found online, smokes weed, and steals chemicals from the science lab, claiming he can make a bomb from them. None of his teachers don't think highly of him, yet he got an outstanding reference from them. The only reason he wants to be a doctor is because other family members are.

I'm gracious in accepting offers, but I just thought I'd share my rant about how unfair and inconsistent the admissions' processes are at different medical schools, and wonder if I should grow the hell up, or if I'm justified in being frustrated. I know it's a hard, competitive course to apply for; more so than most, but I've wanted to be a doctor for so long, and I was so sure I had a good PS and grades that may have at least earned me an inteview. It feels like these past few years of hard work have been all wasted, yet he coasts by sitting on his arse, and manages to get a conditional.
    Without going into too much detail? Really?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds annoying but **** happens. Even if you are justified in feeling peeved, what does it achieve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Without going into too much detail? Really?
    Swear to God, honest. If this wasn't the case, I would have no reason to make this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Swear to God, honest. If this wasn't the case, I would have no reason to make this thread.
    No no no I believe you, but I mean if your mate came across this thread, he could probably guess who it was about from the details you gave. Just saying maybe you should edit a few out if you don't want him to find out .

ReputationRep:
    My mate's like this too, no idea why I'm not jealous...

ReputationRep:
    he doesn't really deserve it.

Without going into too much detail for fear he'll come across this thread, he hardly ever attends lessons, got rubbish GCSE grades, apparently based his PS on one he found online, smokes weed, and steals chemicals from the science lab, claiming he can make a bomb from them. None of his teachers don't think highly of him, yet he got an outstanding reference from them.

It feels like these past few years of hard work have been all wasted, yet he coasts by sitting on his arse, and manages to get a conditional.
    If he can get away with that then he's probably just smarter than you. Life's a *****.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who truly deserve a place get flat out rejections and some who are, quite frankly undeserving, walk right in. What's more of a pee take is that these people are likely to fail during the course/drop out. Life's a beach.

I doubt he'll even get the grades to get in tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    No no no I believe you, but I mean if your mate came across this thread, he could probably guess who it was about from the details you gave. Just saying maybe you should edit a few out if you don't want him to find out .
    Thanks, I just find from reading other threads that you're more likely to be called a troll if you're vague, and I'm sure, out of all the many thousands of other applicants, I'm not the only one who has reservations.

ReputationRep:
    As you've put it,

grow the hell up
    . (:

You're getting a taste of life here. If there's one thing you can count on, it's the fact that life isn't fair.

I was once in your shoes. The people who failed my classes were the ones who got the best job offers - not because they're competent, but because of family connections and money. Made me bitter for some time, but everytime I look back and think about the things that I've gained to get where I am right now, I wouldn't really do anything differently. (:

At the end of the day, the race is only against yourself. Good luck with med school!

ReputationRep:
    what are your grades, work experience and extra curricular compared to theirs?

ReputationRep:
    You don't know exactly what details he gave in his application, nor do you know how he performed at interview. His application might have been spectacular and his interview technique exceptional.

Presumably you're annoyed because you feel you're more suitable than he is, but you have to face up to the fact that at least one university disagrees. It may be little comfort to you, but if he really is a waster then he'll miss his offer and won't get in.

On a side note, why did you apply for only 3 places for medicine? Most medicine applicants can walk onto a biomed course, so why use 2 places on it?

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.