Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why are people in this thread *****ing about someone they don't know and have never met :confused:

That guy could be a **** of highest order, that doesn't make him any less suitable or competent to get a place on the course. Uni places aren't given on the basis of morals and how nice a person is.

Him not attending lessons and doing the green stuff has no relevance. That doesn't show lack of effort. Not everyone learns in conventional ways. There's always going to be someone smarter than you.

Everyone thinks they 'deserve' a place or else no-one would apply.

ReputationRep:
    tbh you've not been terminally rejected yet in the big picture. So you arent a reject until you cant get an offer. And that basically happensd to no one. Everyone with any sense can get in.

Besides you wont be jealous of him/her when you are in uni. You might feel angry now, but it doesnt mean you will later. You will change, dont worry about this emotion at the moment. And do you even want to be a bitter person? dont feed this feeling... becos it will make you a bitter person, esp at as time when your character is still taking shape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    Why are people in this thread *****ing about someone they don't know and have never met :confused:

That guy could be a **** of highest order, that doesn't make him any less suitable or competent to get a place on the course. Uni places aren't given on the basis of morals and how nice a person is.

Him not attending lessons and doing the green stuff has no relevance. That doesn't show lack of effort. Not everyone learns in conventional ways. There's always going to be someone smarter than you.

I think morals and probity are relevant to the allocation of medical school places, and the GMC agrees.

If this person is as bad as you say, it's pretty likely that they will be shown up during medical school, which requires commitment even from clever people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    I think morals and probity are relevant to the allocation of medical school places, and the GMC agrees.
    I said 'uni places aren't given on the basis of morals and how nice you are'. Which they are not. As it's impossible to assess those two things from a personal statement and an interview, and nothing more.

ReputationRep:

If this person is as bad as you say, it's pretty likely that they will be shown up during medical school, which requires commitment even from clever people.
    In terms of piss poor morals and hypocrisy I think the scientific community have a lot to answer for to be honest. If we applied all the rules which the GMC from their high moral horse demand, my bet is we'd lose 95% of current serving consultants - let alone any FtP pannels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fletchdd02)
    Life's a *****.
    Then you die.

ReputationRep:
    all I can say is 'gutted'. nothing you can really do tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi!)
    Then you die.
    that's why we puff lye

ReputationRep:
    You dont get what you deserve, you get what you get. I was lucky, I got into buckhimshire, all my friends in school went to ****e universities and I can tell they all hate my guts. But I like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fletchdd02)
    Life's a *****.
    ...and then you marry one

ReputationRep:
    I said 'uni places aren't given on the basis of morals and how nice you are'. Which they are not. As it's impossible to assess those two things from a personal statement and an interview, and nothing more.
    Not true, why do you think so many ethic questions are raised during interviews for Medical school? They are there so the interviewers can assess not only a persons ability to reason, but also their morals. Often interviewers stress that a person gives THEIR opinion regarding the ethical issue purely for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seasick Steve)
    The problem is that even though on the surface I'm acting like I don't care, and congratulating him on his offer, I can't help but feel sour, because (I'm being honest here) he doesn't really deserve it. That may or may not be true, but unfortunately it isn't you who decides who gets in, the admissions tutors do

Without going into too much detail for fear he'll come across this thread, he hardly ever attends lessons, got rubbish GCSE grades, apparently based his PS on one he found online and does annoying stuff that I've edited out because I'm an idiot and know he might find out. Doesn't mean he doesn't 'deserve' to go to med school. His grades may be worse than yours, but they can't be too bad if he got an offer for medicine.

unfair and inconsistent the admissions' processes are at different medical schools
    yes, this is true. each med school has its own process and places emphasis on different things e.g. some want a high UKCAT, some want certain GCSE grades etc and they have different methods of selection. But what can you do about it?Maybe he just picked easier med schools to get into? Maybe he just got lucky? Or med schools that were more likely to accept him? It's not only about grades

and wonder if I should grow the hell up, or if I'm justified in being frustrated. I know it's a hard, competitive course to apply for; more so than most, but I've wanted to be a doctor for so long, and I was so sure I had a good PS and grades that may have at least earned me an inteview. It feels like these past few years of hard work have been all wasted, yet he coasts by sitting on his arse, and manages to get a conditional.
    I can understand your feelings of frustration, but even with the best application, as you point out the admissions processes could be regarded as inconsistent between med schools and it's a bit of a lottery anyway. The majority of applicants will all have great grades, PS etc.

Being angry or resentful serves no purpose and will not help you get into med school. Life is unfair, but man up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seasick Steve)
    apparently based his PS on one he found online maybe he was joking/trying to sound blase?
    smokes weed So he doesn't deserve to go to med school? Grow up. So smoking weed makes him a lesser candidate? I know many successful Drs (and other professionals) who took and take illicit substances
    and steals chemicals from the science lab, claiming he can make a bomb from them. Yeah this is immature
    None of his teachers don't think highly of him So what, once you leave school, doesn't matter a bit what your teachers think of you
    yet he got an outstanding reference from them. The school probably wants to get as many people in medicine as poss
    The only reason he wants to be a doctor is because other family members are. As do lots of med students I know, or for the status/stable job/because their parents want them to
    Maybe he's not as lazy as you think? Maybe he acts the fool/plays down his abilities? Would anyone really be so dumb as to copy their PS from the internet, especially if his family are Drs and probably gave him lots of advice?

His AS levels must be good enough to get into med school if he has been given an offer. He clearly met the requirements to get into med school at this stage.

Focus on yourself, not him. It makes not an ounce of difference to your life whether or not he goes to med school, focus on getting yourself where you want to go. Jealousy won't help you at all.

ReputationRep:
    Just read the posts on this thread, man everyone is so jealous!

Yeah I would feel miffed I didn't get an offer, but I would be pleased for my friend for getting one. Good for them, I'd say.

ReputationRep:

Agree!

ReputationRep:

People aren't admitted to med school based on personality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellowmonkeyman)
    Not true, why do you think so many ethic questions are raised during interviews for Medical school? They are there so the interviewers can assess not only a persons ability to reason, but also their morals. Often interviewers stress that a person gives THEIR opinion regarding the ethical issue purely for this.
    Hmm, I was never asked any ethics questions in my 3 interviews. I was asked science questions though.

Reasoning and the understanding of medical ethics bear no relation to your own moral code and conduct.

If you are asked an ethics question, it's usually a case of understand the issue, give both sides and some kind of balancing conclusion. You don't necessarily have to say YES or NO.

And your views on medical ethics don't relate to your personality or moral conduct.

Medical ethics forms a very small part of the curriculum - and in what way does the friend sound like he'd make a bad doctor? How can we judge?

Being a doctor/med student in itself doesn't mean you're a decent person.

ReputationRep:

Having high morals doesn't get you a place in medical school. Looking like you have high morals gets you the place. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Having high morals doesn't get you a place in medical school. Looking like you have high morals gets you the place. :yes:
    This.

He might not deserve the place, and I'm usre this is true for a number of applicants. But he LOOKS like he deserves it, and thats all the universities can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Hmm, I was never asked any ethics questions in my 3 interviews. I was asked science questions though.

Reasoning and the understanding of medical ethics bear no relation to your own moral code and conduct.

If you are asked an ethics question, it's usually a case of understand the issue, give both sides and some kind of balancing conclusion. You don't necessarily have to say YES or NO.

And your views on medical ethics don't relate to your personality or moral conduct.

Medical ethics forms a very small part of the curriculum - and in what way does the friend sound like he'd make a bad doctor? How can we judge?

Being a doctor/med student in itself doesn't mean you're a decent person.
    There's obviously quite a bit of variation between different medical schools. For my interview I was asked what I would do in several moral dilemmas (not medical ethics), things such as if I was with a friend and they took something from a shop .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.