Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I being jealous, or do I have reason to be angry at my friend's offer? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seasick Steve)
    OK, so my friend applied to four med schools and no biomedical courses, and I applied to three med school and two biomed. unis. We each have one offer, him for A100 and me for biomedicine.

The problem is that even though on the surface I'm acting like I don't care, and congratulating him on his offer, I can't help but feel sour, because (I'm being honest here) he doesn't really deserve it.

Without going into too much detail for fear he'll come across this thread, he hardly ever attends lessons, got rubbish GCSE grades, apparently based his PS on one he found online and does annoying stuff that I've edited out because I'm an idiot and know he might find out.

I'm gracious in accepting offers, but I just thought I'd share my rant about how unfair and inconsistent the admissions' processes are at different medical schools, and wonder if I should grow the hell up, or if I'm justified in being frustrated. I know it's a hard, competitive course to apply for; more so than most, but I've wanted to be a doctor for so long, and I was so sure I had a good PS and grades that may have at least earned me an inteview. It feels like these past few years of hard work have been all wasted, yet he coasts by sitting on his arse, and manages to get a conditional.
    Haters gonna hate:afro:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibbles209)
    There's obviously quite a bit of variation between different medical schools. For my interview I was asked what I would do in several moral dilemmas (not medical ethics), things such as if I was with a friend and they took something from a shop .
    what did you say?

ReputationRep:
    OK, so my friend applied to four med schools and no biomedical courses, and I applied to three med school and two biomed. unis. We each have one offer, him for A100 and me for biomedicine.

The problem is that even though on the surface I'm acting like I don't care, and congratulating him on his offer, I can't help but feel sour, because (I'm being honest here) he doesn't really deserve it.

Without going into too much detail for fear he'll come across this thread, he hardly ever attends lessons, got rubbish GCSE grades, apparently based his PS on one he found online and does annoying stuff that I've edited out because I'm an idiot and know he might find out.

I'm gracious in accepting offers, but I just thought I'd share my rant about how unfair and inconsistent the admissions' processes are at different medical schools, and wonder if I should grow the hell up, or if I'm justified in being frustrated. I know it's a hard, competitive course to apply for; more so than most, but I've wanted to be a doctor for so long, and I was so sure I had a good PS and grades that may have at least earned me an inteview. It feels like these past few years of hard work have been all wasted, yet he coasts by sitting on his arse, and manages to get a conditional.
    You are not being jealous, nor do you have a reason to be angry. you're just being a douchebag.

Get over it. There are always people who are better than you, there are always people who work in the same way that you do but then there are others who work differently to achieve the same result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    I know people who truly deserve a place get flat out rejections and some who are, quite frankly undeserving, walk right in. What's more of a pee take is that these people are likely to fail during the course/drop out. Life's a beach.

I doubt he'll even get the grades to get in tbh
    Amazing that you make a judgement, based upon a potentially bias source, on a person you have never met. :rolleyes:

Fantastic analytical mind you have. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    I think morals and probity are relevant to the allocation of medical school places, and the GMC agrees.
    They are of course.

However, not attending lessons at college does not inherently mean a candidate is lacking in these.

Furthermore if the GMC were to suddenly strike off every doctor who has ever smoked the green stuff we would suddenly have a national crisis due to the shortage of doctors.

ReputationRep:
    What are your UKCAT, GCSE and AS level grades?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a lad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataloss)
    Amazing that you make a judgement, based upon a potentially bias source, on a person you have never met. :rolleyes:

Fantastic analytical mind you have. :no:
    Excuse me? What must I go by then? It amazes me how you wouldn't dare say such a thing to my face. Based on the description of his friend (which he's built a rapport with, therefore it's likely to be true) he's pretty much dossing through his A-levels/UCAS app, and that's pretty clear, dossers don't usually magically come out with A* grades, correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes:.

These's reason as to why he feels justice isn't served.

So do me a favour and STFU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Excuse me? What must I go by then? It amazes me how you wouldn't dare say such a thing to my face. Based on the description of his friend (which he's built a rapport with, therefore it's likely to be true) he's pretty much dossing through his A-levels/UCAS app, and that's pretty clear, dossers don't usually magically come out with A* grades, correct me if I'm wrong :rolleyes:.

I know a fair number of people who generally mess around during the year but front exam leave will put their head down and revise. Then there's some ****ers who will look at a page and soak it in like a delicious sponge. People learn on different ways, just because they don't always turn up to class doesn't make them stupid ( although I suspect most people do find class good ). He must have got decent grades for AS to get decent predicted grades anyway.

ReputationRep:

Ask yourself, what would Seasick Steve say about this? There, my friend, you will find your answer.

ReputationRep:
    All right, thanks guys for your advice. I'm not angry at him, more disappointed in myself. I'll take my biomed offer, and consider graduate entry to medicine later on.

ReputationRep:
    It's not fair, you probably are jealous and rightly so. But you have to let it go now, focus on yourself. I know how these things can eat you up inside. Try to stop comparing your bad luck to his good and concentrate on whatever you can do to help yourself! Energy spent angry at your friend is energy that could be used for preparing for other interviews etc. And maybe stay away from him for a little while....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    I know a fair number of people who generally mess around during the year but front exam leave will put their head down and revise. Then there's some ****ers who will look at a page and soak it in like a delicious sponge. People learn on different ways, just because they don't always turn up to class doesn't make them stupid ( although I suspect most people do find class good ). He must have got decent grades for AS to get decent predicted grades anyway.
    I don't think he's friend is stupid at all, just a dosser.

I understand were you're coming from though, I also have friends like that, dossed at GCSE, managed to get A grades, dossed at A-levels but still mangaed to pull out decent grades (not A grades, just decent grades).

Perhaps I am getting the wrong impression of the guy but even if he does get in, I'm not sure if he'll be able cope with the pressures + demands of medicine, but hey, each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    It's annoying; I know a lot of people who have done bugger all and do not deserve offers. I know lots of people who have none and do.

ReputationRep:
    The admissions criteria may be flawed, or inconsistent across different universities; but that's hardly your friend's fault.
    What do you expect him to do, ring up the universities and say "Please don't give me this offer, I clearly don't deserve it"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Then there's some ****ers who will look at a page and soak it in like a delicious sponge.
    lool i know the kind, Fuser. Generally they are the kind who spent the last fortnight reading that chapter and then deny they've looked at it, to appear like geniuse in front of their friends.

But very rarely, they have a photographic memory. which is the worst way to learn things for medicine. Zero processing, no depth of learnning, no understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)

I would have said it to your face - so don't be amazed.

What are you supposed to go by? How about the judgement of a medical school admissions process that has offered him a place! His friend has convinced an experienced medical school admissions team based on a personal statement and an interview that he has qualities and academics to succeed in medical school.

Compare that to a "jealous" friend who is angry and therefore likely not viewing his "friend's" qualities fairly. Furthermore somebody who themselves shows poor judgement by strangely putting only 3 medicine choices and instead 2 biomedicine choices even though they want to pursue medicine.

I could continue.

ReputationRep:

What are you supposed to go by? How about the judgement of a medical school admissions process that has offered him a place! His friend has convinced an experienced medical school admissions team based on a personal statement and an interview that he has qualities and academics to succeed in medical school.

Compare that to a "jealous" friend who is angry and therefore likely not viewing his "friend's" qualities fairly. Furthermore somebody who themselves shows poor judgement by strangely putting only 3 medicine choices and instead 2 biomedicine choices even though they want to pursue medicine.

I could continue.
    repped

ReputationRep:

I could continue.
    have some rep +1

to the OP - 3 med choices ? you were either a cocky, confident dumbass or just a dumbass have your pick good sir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ligamentia)
    have some rep +1

to the OP - 3 med choices ? you were either a cocky, confident dumbass or just a dumbass have your pick good sir
    Based on what everyone else has said, probably just a cocky dumbarse. I was anything but confident, otherwise I would have chosen another medicine option, confident that at least one of them would result in an interview.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.