The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why is it always the essay subjects in which ppl pull all nighters? I've never come across anyone who's done a maths all nighter, or a chemistry all nighter. I dont think it would be possible... would it?
My friend used to just take the day off school to do his chemistry work.
Reply 22
why would you want to pull an all-nighter if the essay is not in the next day? far too drastic.

silent ninja
Why is it always the essay subjects in which ppl pull all nighters? I've never come across anyone who's done a maths all nighter, or a chemistry all nighter. I dont think it would be possible... would it?

why isn't it possible? i've done science all-nighters, usually for coursework projects.
Reply 23
Allnighters are pretty common and most ingredients in addition to coffee/redbull also include pro-plus ! Not recommended !

Some people seem to live on allnighters !
Reply 24
guarana pills (they really work!), lots of water and some snacks
silent ninja

Yes it would! I do it often. Mathematics is fascinating and endless. There is always more to see, more to learn, more connections to make. As you understand more, more of its beauty is visible to you and that makes you want to continue. Studying maths is not about memorising facts or regurgitating formulas, it's about understanding the fabric of the subject and learning how to create with it. The thing that makes maths a wonderful subject (from a student's point of view), is that if you're willing to put in the time, you can succeed. An assignment might take minutes, hours, days, weeks or months, but there is always a real ending; there is no fuzziness. There is a way. There may be many 'right' answers, many ways of going about the problem, but you can always know that if you think rationally and work logically, you will get to the end. You might go down the wrong route a few (hundred) times, but you'll know if you stray too far from the track. I've spent months on a problem before only to realise, stood at the checkout at HMV, that I'd been so incredibly shortsighted and the answer had been staring me in the face! I took the notepad and pencil from my pocket, wrote down the solution in one line then proved it on the 10-minute bus ride home! So although a finished piece of maths work might look like nothing compared to an english student's 10,000 word essay (or this rambling post), the chalk dust on the carpet will probably tell a different story!

And if you're staying up all night keep your window open, curtains closed and socks on. There's nothing worse than cold feet when you're trying to concentrate. If you're not in halls, get a coffee machine so you can make a big pot and keep it warm all night. You can pick up a decent one quite cheap. If you start to lose concetration go out for a walk! Sounds crazy but it really helps.
Reply 26
I agree Science & Maths Allnighters are probably more common but less hyped or talked about !
Reply 27
lilbug
why would you want to pull an all-nighter if the essay is not in the next day? far too drastic.

why too drastic? i may pull an all-nighter tonight to do and finish 1-2 essays. that means ill only have one left for the term and ultimately it'll mean i have no work to do. :smile:
Reply 28
Just go with diet coke, and music with a steady beat in the background should keep your mind focussed.
Reply 29
silent ninja

well, sometimes essays actually come out better if written overnight. I have to research during the day, but there's something about writing at night when everyone else is asleep and it's really quiet which makes me (and so the essay) really focussed
Reply 30
No distractions of tv or chatting.
AMathStudent
Yes it would! I do it often. Mathematics is fascinating and endless. There is always more to see, more to learn, more connections to make. As you understand more, more of its beauty is visible to you and that makes you want to continue. Studying maths is not about memorising facts or regurgitating formulas, it's about understanding the fabric of the subject and learning how to create with it. The thing that makes maths a wonderful subject (from a student's point of view), is that if you're willing to put in the time, you can succeed. An assignment might take minutes, hours, days, weeks or months, but there is always a real ending; there is no fuzziness. There is a way. There may be many 'right' answers, many ways of going about the problem, but you can always know that if you think rationally and work logically, you will get to the end. You might go down the wrong route a few (hundred) times, but you'll know if you stray too far from the track. I've spent months on a problem before only to realise, stood at the checkout at HMV, that I'd been so incredibly shortsighted and the answer had been staring me in the face! I took the notepad and pencil from my pocket, wrote down the solution in one line then proved it on the 10-minute bus ride home! So although a finished piece of maths work might look like nothing compared to an english student's 10,000 word essay (or this rambling post), the chalk dust on the carpet will probably tell a different story!

And if you're staying up all night keep your window open, curtains closed and socks on. There's nothing worse than cold feet when you're trying to concentrate. If you're not in halls, get a coffee machine so you can make a big pot and keep it warm all night. You can pick up a decent one quite cheap. If you start to lose concetration go out for a walk! Sounds crazy but it really helps.

I love people who are really passionate about their subject!!
Im like this with law, unfortunately my friends, boyfriend and family are not so enthusiastic :rolleyes:
Reply 32
Never pull all-nighters, especially for a reason as dumb as this, considering the paper isn't due tomorrow. That's all I have to say.

--------------

silent ninja

Er, midterms and finals, so yes.

I studied 15 hours straight for a midterm the night before, and stayed up until 5 in the morning. I did get 4 hours of sleep before the exam though, or else I would have been fried.
Some brave people on here. I couldnt possibly do maths even at midnight let alone all night, my head would hurt. Or an essay for that matter. I cant organise my thoughts after about 10.30. The only thing i've ever done all night was art, but i wouldnt do it again.
I think it's just some people work better at night, or find it easier to do things like essays in one go.. i know I do! :smile:
Reply 35
Yes I have done a few Maths and Stats all nighters. I have this really annoying habit of procrastinating and leaving everything until the last possible time. I remember one night I stayed up doing Abstract maths while drinking about 5 cans of red bull and discussing answers over msn. I tend to work better really late at night because its really quiet with no distractions. Theres nothing worse than the feeling later on the next day and it disrupts your sleep patterns for days after, only recommended in emergencies!
Reply 36
see i did an allnighter last night and finished an essay, the deadline isn't for a couple of weeks but it means i can **** around even more, with only 2 more essays left :smile:
Reply 37
I think i might pull on all nighter tonight. I have a philosophy essay in for monday, and a politics one too. I haven't started the politics one, but i've done all the research of philosophy so i should just be able to finish it tonight. xx
Reply 38
Tends to vary from person to person some people live on allnighters for important assesments and do not do too badly !

Others do things slow and steady over time, Others it seems do allnighters months before work is due in and then look over it as it is done !

Jus varies depending on style & preference !

silent ninja
Some brave people on here. I couldnt possibly do maths even at midnight let alone all night, my head would hurt. Or an essay for that matter. I cant organise my thoughts after about 10.30. The only thing i've ever done all night was art, but i wouldnt do it again.
Reply 39
2500 word history essay due in tomorrow,

369 words down.

going to be a fun night

Latest