Turn on thread page Beta

Apply for medicine now(during a degree) or wait till i graduate and apply then? watch

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

I am currently in my first year doing a degree in neuroscience(4 years). However i have decided medicine is definetly what i want to do, i have two options-

-Apply for undergraduate 2012 entry, so i would spend 7 years at uni and have 1 degree

-Wait till i graduate and apply for graduate medicine, so i would spend 8 years at uni and have 2 degrees

I just feel like im wasting time doing this degree!
    Please someone help me with my dilemma!

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    I'd apply to undergraduate medicine and quit the neuroscience degree... There's no point doing it if you don't want to and graduate medicine is more competitive than undergrad. (plus possible problems with funding)

ReputationRep:
    Don't quit the degree and chop and change now. it is not going to look very good if you drop out of your degree in 1st year and apply to a100 medicine because it shows a lack of commitment to them that you can't make a decision and stick to it. Educate yourself to at least a bachelor's level and work hard to get a 2.1. In the meantime get work experience and practice admissions tests such as gamsat, ukcat, bmat etc. If you get a BSc in neuroscience and graduate in 2013 from this, you would be looking to apply in 2012 for 2013 entry and you need a good amount of time to put together a decent application for grad entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123k:))
    -Wait till i graduate and apply for graduate medicine, so i would spend 8 years at uni and have 2 degrees

ReputationRep:
    It's probably worth nothing that some universities don't look favourably on applicants who apply while in their first or second years of a current degree. It'll be worth ringing them up to see if it'll affect your application, and then alter your choices accordingly.

You can, however, apply for medicine (graduate or undergraduate) during your 3rd year of a degree without it affecting your chances at all (just work hard in your 2nd year to ensure you're predicted a 1st). It can be a bit of a distraction, but it's worked out for a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    graduate if you've already started

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks for the advice!

Just wish i knew what i had wanted to do this time 2 years ago, feels like i am wasting alot of time and money.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.