Turn on thread page Beta

Do you support or oppose military action by the West in Libya? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you support or oppose western military action in Libya against Gadaffi?
    I support
    59.26%
    I oppose
    40.74%
    zzz
    0%

ReputationRep:
    This is a poll, so pls vote.

I for one, strongly oppose the West taking military action in Libya in support of the rebels to oust Gadaffi. Gadaffi is the rightful ruler of Libya, and the West have no regard for sovereignty, if they have not observed, the vast majority of Libyans are still pro Gadaffi.

Also, I find Cameron and the Foreign Office's stance on this ridiculous, I thought it would not be possible to dislike the new government more, I was wrong. The West has still not learnt it's lessons from it's Imperialism and moralistic meddling in less developed countries. And again, this is all about oil, it's hard to see Cameron supporting rebels in Saudi Arabia.

This is going to turn into Iraq 2, in fact, I sincerely hope Gadaffi digs in, fortifies his position and make a last stand if need be. He will have been honourable in the face of bare faced treachery from the imperalistic West. Or failing that, launch asymetric gureilla warfare for the next decade to show the West of the error of their ways. Libya might not be black, but when white people meddle in Africa, the outcome is never good.

ReputationRep:
    I support, though I think they are been far too slow to react. Also I saw this today on The Guardian....

So had to post!

ReputationRep:
    It's a difficult situation.

If the west doesn't intervene, people will say they sat back and allowed Gadaffi to continue with his genocide ways.

If they do, people will say it's Iraq part II, that they need to stop interfering with the middle-east etc.

I just find it laughable that our government is all of a sudden condemning Gadaffi's actions, as if it's just come to light that he's a suppressive dictator.

It's also laughable that they condemn the murder of innocent Libyans. Reality check, they're being killed by bullets and guns that virtually have "Made in Britain" engraved on them...what did the government think he would do with those multi-million dollar arms deals?

I'm just sick of our country being involved in so many wars to be honest, we're a piss poor country now with an already declining military power....yet we start fighting for every cause in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    I for one, strongly oppose the West taking military action in Libya in support of the rebels to oust Gadaffi. Gadaffi is the rightful ruler of Libya, and the West have no regard for sovereignty, if they have not observed, the vast majority of Libyans are still pro Gadaffi.
    Hardly. Rightful leader of Tripoli? Maybe. Rightful leader of Libya? Yeah right, way to go at both being legitemate, while also having half the country literally rebel against you.

The West isn't being imperialistic. If it wanted to, Libya would have been fully occupied by now and the imperialists would have already secured the oil by now.

The West is however, is letting Gaddafi make a clown of himself towards the rest of the world and is making a damn good job of it. The guy by now is isolated and members of the Securty Coincil (namely China and Russia: hardly western imperialists) doubtful of the No-Fly Zone simply accepted that a veto is not worth using for this guy's sake.
    Furthermore the speeches he makes are simply material that one would expect from a Monty Python sketch, rather than of a leader that should be in touch with his own country, let alone the rest of the world. The Al Qaeda card he used is simply one of the most hilariously pathetic attempt at political fabrication ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sushidelight)
    I support, though I think they are been far too slow to react. Also I saw this today on The Guardian....

So had to post!

Haha.

This is my position also. Some of the people opposing it deserve smacked bottoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    It's a difficult situation.
    I'm just sick of our country being involved in so many wars to be honest, we're a piss poor country now with an already declining military power....yet we start fighting for every cause in the world.
    Its called being a part of the world. Have you noticed that the UK would simply be part of a force compromising of the French, US, Spanish and numerous other European and Arab armies?

To be honest, I am sick of people that think inaction is a solution to our problems. Stop being like this guy people.

It doesn't do the world any good.

ReputationRep:
    I oppose it, It's got nothing to do with the West.

ReputationRep:
    I support.

ReputationRep:
    Military action is most justified in situations like that which Libya finds itself in presently. I emphatically support intervention in Libya.

But the backslapping can be saved until after we've actually established a no-fly zone, and we shouldn't stop at Libya. If Bahrain or other nations resorts to the use of military force against civilians, they should be shot down in flames.

ReputationRep:
    Support... but only just. I don't agree with war, but I think that in this situation military intervention is the lesser of two evils.

I just hope that other UN countries apart from the obvious (e.g, USA and the UK) are represented and that the main focus is on delivering humanitarian aid and establishing a fair and democratic government to rule the country, while minimizing the cost of human life.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I support it. But then anyone who has seen all the threads on Libya today knows that anyway.

Just no boots on teh groundz plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lintu93)
    Support... but only just. I don't agree with war, but I think that in this situation military intervention is the lesser of two evils.

Haha. I hate when people say things like this.

War happens, it doesn't give a **** if you like it or not. It SHOULD be the role of any 'decent' country's military to intervene internationally when individuals or institutions such as Gaddafi right now are acting in an unacceptable manner.

We don't draft people, our armed forces are in a job where they may be called to put themselves in danger because THEY ****ING CHOSE TO BE THERE.

ReputationRep:
    Oppose, I really don't care about Libyan civilians, it's their choice to go to war, they can't come whining to Britain when they start losing.

And I GUARANTEE you that if the Libyan rebels do win with our help, they will tell us to gtfo immediately, if Gaddafi wins then he cuts our oil for supporting a rebellion in his country.

We have absolutely nothing to gain by helping the rebels, Gaddafi has been friendly to Western powers, if some nutty Jihadist replaces him, we're all screwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Haha. I hate when people say things like this.

War happens, it doesn't give a **** if you like it or not. It SHOULD be the role of any 'decent' country's military to intervene internationally when individuals or institutions such as Gaddafi right now are acting in an unacceptable manner.

We don't draft people, our armed forces are in a job where they may be called to put themselves in danger because THEY ****ING CHOSE TO BE THERE.
    I see how it could get annoying. However, I still stand by that statement - but at the same time I accept that sometimes it's a necessary evil. I'm just saying that I really wish it didn't have to happen.

ReputationRep:
    The west should stop trying to police the ****ing world.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know my view on this but a friend of mine made this video, I'd really appreciate it if you took a listen:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    We have absolutely nothing to gain by helping the rebels, Gaddafi has been friendly to Western powers, if some nutty Jihadist replaces him, we're all screwed.
    Ask that to the ones who died at the Lockerbie bombing.

Oh wait, they are all dead.

ReputationRep:
    I support it, I don't wanna see another Rwanda, where we left hundreds of thousands get massacred.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.