Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    was just wondering the pros and cons of the self catered and catered accommodation at endcliffe, does the £40 allowance given to catered students last the week and can self catered students also just top up these cards when they like or is it per term?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setna91)
    was just wondering the pros and cons of the self catered and catered accommodation at endcliffe, does the £40 allowance given to catered students last the week and can self catered students also just top up these cards when they like or is it per term?

thanks

Basically, get one thing sorted first. The £40 allowance isn't 'given' as in inclusive. They just Mandate that you get one in Catered accommodation. I'd estimate that that gets you roughly 2 meals a day. So really catered accommodation works out pretty pricey. Any student can top up the card anytime but you have to sign up for at least £10 a week for the term.

Go for self catered. Its much nicer accommodation anyway!
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above. Everyone I know who went catered either didn't have enough money on the card for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week (so had to buy lunch or some dinners seperately) or had too much of their allowance left (from only eating dinner in the dining hall and getting takeaway/going out some nights) so had to buy a load of random crap (i.e. red bull) from the cafe. The other problem with catered is that the cards only work in 'eat with us' outlets so you can't use them in certain places, e.g. Interval. The food is expensive for what it is and if you went self-catered you could spend £20-30 on food a week all in. The other thing to consider (this applies to all unis) is whether you're going to be bothered to get dressed/up early enough to leave your flat for breakfast. Even if your cooking is terrible you should still be ok in self-catered - breakfast and lunch are hardly difficult (and it's usually more convenient to eat at home), then there are loads of easy/cheap things you can make/buy for dinner. Oh and the self-catered apartments are newer, have en-suites etc. although catered isn't too bad, it's far worse at other unis.

Sorry for the essay. In short, go self-catered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -honeybee-)
    I agree with the above. Everyone I know who went catered either didn't have enough money on the card for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week (so had to buy lunch or some dinners seperately) or had too much of their allowance left (from only eating dinner in the dining hall and getting takeaway/going out some nights) so had to buy a load of random crap (i.e. red bull) from the cafe. The other problem with catered is that the cards only work in 'eat with us' outlets so you can't use them in certain places, e.g. Interval. The food is expensive for what it is and if you went self-catered you could spend £20-30 on food a week all in. The other thing to consider (this applies to all unis) is whether you're going to be bothered to get dressed/up early enough to leave your flat for breakfast. Even if your cooking is terrible you should still be ok in self-catered - breakfast and lunch are hardly difficult (and it's usually more convenient to eat at home), then there are loads of easy/cheap things you can make/buy for dinner. Oh and the self-catered apartments are newer, have en-suites etc. although catered isn't too bad, it's far worse at other unis.

Sorry for the essay. In short, go self-catered!
    hey thanks for the reply, can i ask where you stayed?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setna91)
    hey thanks for the reply, can i ask where you stayed?

thanks
    Endcliffe self-catered, en-suite. Where are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Go self catered, wherever you are. Way too much hassle from everyone i know who is catered/being catered myself i hate it.

As in loathe it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -honeybee-)
    Endcliffe self-catered, en-suite. Where are you thinking of applying to?
    hopefully the same, anywhere in endcliffe and self catered i would be happy with!

ReputationRep:
    just for the sake of a balanced view as everyone who replied is self catered
    I'm in catered accomodation and im SO glad i chose it (though i completely agree it's not for everyone)
    first there's the obvious that you don't need to wash up etc and when you're tired you don't have to cook plus there's a massive variety of food you can have (and the bar food in the edge is well nice, the burgers are amazing). technically you probably couldnt afford 3 meals but i don't really know anyone who bothers going to breakfast, generally everyone stocks cereal. Th money isn't an issue because the catered buildings are older and cheaper (and have much bigger rooms but aren't as nice looking) meaning the rent with food is the same as the more modern buildings rent without food. But i'm probably most glad in a social aspect because the whole building goes to dinner together and dinner becomes a really nice part of the day and also (this is more a bid for the old buildings which you get through catered) because they're not flats everyone knows everyone else a lot better because you can just run into each others rooms (without the awkwardness of knocking on a entire flat's door before you get to know them all properly) and the whole building goes out together as opposed to just a flat or two and there is no tension because you don't have to see someone if they are getting under your skin

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.