Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I was just wondering how much everyone spent per year on clothes?

It seems to vary hugely at university.

A winter coat always seems to be so expensive and so are a comfy pair of boots.

I don't understand how so many people can afford UGG boots. £165 a pair! Do they even last?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about year, but usually around £100 or so a month, unless some big dance or something comes up.

Negged? Tramp.

ReputationRep:
    Oh btw, real Uggs last WAY longer than Fuggs.

ReputationRep:
    I can't afford clothes anymore So just as presents

ReputationRep:
    Erm like £30 max, but I've gone months without buying any clothes recently.

EDIT: Read title wrong, thought it said per month!

ReputationRep:
    Thousands. I prefer not to think about it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, i haven't really thought about it before. I don't buy clothes too often, and I try to get things in the sales, so I hope I don't spend more than £100-150
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hmm not sure. Maybe around £30 a year. Usually goes towards replacement socks, and maybe the odd pair of jeans or a jumper. I don't really buy clothes often. It's not like I'm still growing.

ReputationRep:
    How do people spend £30 a year?! I'd spend that on one item.
    If I think about it, like five grand easily.
    I just really like clothes.

ReputationRep:
    probably about £200

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elissabeth)
    Hi there,

I don't understand how so many people can afford UGG boots. £165 a pair! Do they even last?

Thanks.
    I guess you can buy the fake uggs, they should last you a considerable amount of time.
    I wouldn't spend much on clothes at university. Save money for books/exam fees/food, etc. Clothes seem like an unnecessary expense especially since, yup, most of it is so expensive.
    Primark, Tesco/department stores, thrift stores and only buying during sales are key.
    This website is pretty good, allows you to shop by price http://www.10orless.co.uk/

ETA: Currently I manage to spend around £20 per month, sometimes even less, sometimes more. I can go months without buying any clothes though.

ReputationRep:
    I bought three new Gieves and Hawkes suits yesterday. Total cost £3845. It varies though I very rarely have to buy new suits but generally over the average year I would probably spend about £50-60 a week.

EDIT: £50-60 Per month, not per week. That would be silly.

ReputationRep:
    I probably spend about £50 a month so £600 per year.
    Though saying that I've spent about £150 on a couple a pairs of boots in the past few months so maybe I spend more than I think I do.

ReputationRep:
    I used to spend more, but I have enough clothes now :P Or I'm just fed up of buying stuff, idk. I don't think I've actually bought any clothes so far this year...

If I ever get round to losing weight I'll buy more, though.

ReputationRep:
    Probably about £20-£30 every couple of weeks

ReputationRep:
    i'm on 200 per year approx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donuticus)
    I bought three new Gieves and Hawkes suits yesterday. Total cost £3845. It varies though I very rarely have to buy new suits but generally over the average year I would probably spend about £50-60 a week.
    Can't believe I got neg repped for this. I'm 30 years old and work full time it really is not a huge amount to spend on clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe I got neg repped for this. I'm 30 years old and work full time it really is not a huge amount to spend on clothes.
    Why the hell are you on a student forum at 30 years old? :lolwut:

Anyway, so far this year I've spent about £20 on clothes - a new shirt and new swimming trunks. It varies, but I'd say no more than £100 a year.

ReputationRep:
    lol....

wat

How can you afford that?! Are you in IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elissabeth)
    Hi there,

Thanks.
    Idk, never added it up. I don't buy a set amount every month or every few months. I just buy what I need/want/is a good buy.

Winter coat - a good quality, classic style will last for years. You don't need a new one every year.

Useful coats: Smart winter coat (heavy) , everyday winter coat (heavy), raincoat/mac (light)

Uggs - buy them from the US if you're on holiday or a relative is going. Almost half UK price.

Buy things in sales? I buy most of my boots on sale.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.