The Student Room Group

Which country in the world is the best from an objective viewpoint?

Scroll to see replies

I spend a lot of time in Finland and it really is amazing. Best country in the world. The only downpoints:

- As mentioned, no chippies, there isn't much of a pub culture either.

- Neighbours to the east are ****ing crazy and still own a huge chunk of Finland.

- MOSQUITOES arghhhh

Amazing place other than that.
Original post by Luceria
I'm from Norway. And I think it's a great place to live, though again I'm Norwegian.
Norway isn't a frozen tundra (like some people seem to believe). Most Norwegians live in Southern Norway, and the North Atlantic current makes the climate temperate. I live on the west coast, which is very mild.

Except Scandinavia, I'd chose New Zealand, Canada and Australia.

:smile: I'm English, but have visited Norway lots of times. I love it... I also think it's probably one of the best places to live.
I went mountain/cliff climbing near Stavanger :smile:
Reply 22
I read that Somalia was a nice place
I go for Norway. It has a great quality of life, good education, good healthcare and great people too :biggrin:
Reply 24
It may not be the best, but Iceland is an awesome place! Laid-back-ness to rival the Caribbean and it's a beautiful place. Only problem is they're economy probably isn't too good atm, but definitely somewhere to think about retiring too!

Oh and the lack of sunlight during the winter and occasional earthquake, they aren't too strong though and feel really weird!
Reply 25
As a Canadian, I'm surprised at all the comments of Canada!

In my opinion, the best country in the world would be Switzerland or a Nordic country like Norway or Finland.
Original post by SteveCrain
If objective means "the one with the best stats" why is this question up for discussions?

Because there is no such thing as a "best country" statistic. There are various different statistics you can use to decide and they all rank countries in a slightly different way.

Original post by Lack of Creativity
Vancouver has been consistently rated as one of the most liveable cities on the planet, so Canada, more specifically British Columbia.

How can you call a country "the best" because one of it's cities - in which a tiny fraction of the country live - is "one of the" most liveable cities on the planet? If you are basing it on that, surely the country with the most liveable city on the planet would win?

Canada is a very nice country though. Norway and Australia tend to top a lot of the rankings - and my personal favourite is Australia.

Original post by -raisa
As a Canadian, I'm surprised at all the comments of Canada!

In my opinion, the best country in the world would be Switzerland or a Nordic country like Norway or Finland.

I think it's because Canada has pretty much everything that makes the US great, but not much of all the negative stuff (lack of tolerance, healthcare, guns etc.).
(edited 13 years ago)
I thought it was Japan, especially Tokyo. South Korea sounds good too.
Pakistaaan!
Original post by Luceria
That's nice. And I live very close to Stavanger!

It was great, from what I saw.
Although, I couldn't buy a sausage ANYWHERE!!! (they always gave my hot-dogs instead).
Everyone speaks brilliant English there anyway.
Reply 30
Original post by callum9999
Because there is no such thing as a "best country" statistic. There are various different statistics you can use to decide and they all rank countries in a slightly different way.

Who mentioned best country statistics. I mentioned best stats, which means stats combined, unless you don't want to look at this from the objective viewpoint.
Original post by SteveCrain
Who mentioned best country statistics. I mentioned best stats, which means stats combined, unless you don't want to look at this from the objective viewpoint.

The problem is which stats do you use, and are they all equal? You can rank countries on hundreds of different thinks - from life expectancy, percentage of doctors all the way to percentage of green space.

There is no way to objectively compile them all into one definitive list - it all depends on which aspects you personally think are important. I couldn't care less about the state of theatres - someone interested in the arts may have it as a priority, so who is objectively right?
Reply 32

I think it's because Canada has pretty much everything that makes the US great, but not much of all the negative stuff (lack of tolerance, healthcare, guns etc.).

hmm... I'd think twice about the "lack of tolerance" bit, although we are far more tolerant than our neighbours to the south :wink:

what I don't like about Canada is our government - the death of democracy in Canada as we know it.

transportation is horrific as well; public transit is not an option, and just like our American neighbours, Canadians absolutely adore suburbs, cars and strip malls.

not very attractive / pleasant.
Reply 33
Ever heard of the United Nations Human Development Index? :awesome:
Original post by Lack of Creativity
Vancouver has been consistently rated as one of the most liveable cities on the planet, so Canada, more specifically British Columbia.

This. I love Vancouver :love:
Original post by Luceria
You mean regular dinner sausage? lol. Because they do sell them. If not, then I'm not sure what you mean.

Well I assume our definitions of sausages are the same :/ but, I seriously couldn't get any.

http://www.silvernutmeg.com/imagebank2/1160999247.jpg <- this kind lol

Maybe it was just the shop keepers I met not understanding me.
Reply 36
The problem is which stats do you use, and are they all equal? You can rank countries on hundreds of different thinks - from life expectancy, percentage of doctors all the way to percentage of green space.

There is no way to objectively compile them all into one definitive list - it all depends on which aspects you personally think are important. I couldn't care less about the state of theatres - someone interested in the arts may have it as a priority, so who is objectively right?

Well stats need to be picked or all the answers to this thread have completely failed.
Nothing more objective than "yh sweden cos they have snow, are aryan and I've seen a photoshopped screensaver on the internet".
Reply 37
Switzerland for me
You can't state objectively that there is a best country in the world.
Malta
Malta
Malta
Malta
Malta
Because its the Ultimate party/relax/take it easy/ awesome island

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending