ReputationRep:
    I can understand a bit

ReputationRep:
    Nakamah

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak punjabi either

ReputationRep:
    Same with me and Arabic.

I could speak it when I was young but learning English made me gradually forget Arabic. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    KUTI. Tere baap kohn hai?

Just kidding. I'm only starting to speak it properly myself and I'm 22. It's only hard if you concentrate on how bad you sound at the beginning. Just keep trying, and remember that a month from now, you'll be much better at it. Just think where you'll be a year from now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I can say Aloo and other words.
    Doesn't that mean potato?

Or is that in Hindi? I learn best through my stomach.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I can't either. You should learn some Punjabo first, it eases you into Punjabi.

ReputationRep:
    I speak it, and I'm learning Mandarin, u jelly OP? yeh u jelly

ReputationRep:
    Leh ai koi gal ah lol

Well if you can understand bits that should be an advantage, try speaking it with your family when you're at home and gradually you will learn it... albeit it will take time but you'll get there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes i'm a Hindu Punjabi but the thing is i cant speak it. My parents are telling me to learn it but its so hard and that i dont have time to do it ( as i am in med and have alot of work to do!!) All my friends are telling me to learn it... i'm 18 btw! I just dont know what to do ( its hard to learn a new language when you hit 18).. I can understand it abit but i cant speak it.
    I'm from Pakistan and speak Urdu/Hindi as well as Punjabi. To be honest, I would say (think) that speaking Hindi would do it, too. It doesn't need to be Punjabi does it??

For learning Hindi: Just watch Bollywood films. I know some tamil friends at my college who learnt Hindi by watching bollywood movies. Or just attempt to talk it with your family/friends whenever possible. It's extremely difficult to learn it and having learnt French, Spanish, Italian, and Dutch, I believe that Urdu/Hindi/Punjabi is a language that is extremely hard to learn. The grammar and all is quite difficult. There aren't many fixed rules in conjugations for example, so its based on practice and experience.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that big a deal, I don't think. We speak Mirpuri Punjabi or something like that(well, we actually mainly speak English at home) I can understand most things, and I can sort of string a (broken) sentence together ie: sorta like broken English, but instead broken Punjabi. The language isn't a necessity IMO. Also, if you're from India, then one of the main languages there is English(after Hindi of course), but if you're from somewhere else in S. Asia, then you may need help

ReputationRep:
    mate ... TENU SHRAM NEI OUNDEI ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kMt)
    sonie lol
    lol made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Me neither.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's not the end of the world if you don't learn it right?! Are you ever going to have to speak it?

Just tell them exactly what you told us, that it's a really hard language to learn & you don't have the time to learn it what with your meds & everything. **** em!

ReputationRep:
    I know dirty punjabi phrases.

For starters:

Spoiler:
    Show
    kaam pay gaya ae teera naal oh torri dhere say, veh meh jito jito kehnai tu kyun ne chirr da

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Doesn't that mean potato?

Or is that in Hindi? I learn best through my stomach.
    'Potato' in both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I speak it, and I'm learning Mandarin, u jelly OP? yeh u jelly
    Mandarin da bacha. Bakwaas bandh kar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    I know dirty punjabi phrases.

For starters:

Spoiler:
    Show
    kaam pay gaya ae teera naal oh torri dhere say, veh meh jito jito kehnai tu kyun ne chirr da
    What on earth does that mean?

I went to work with you.... then what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uzzy?)
    What on earth does that mean?

I went to work with you.... then what?
    Good.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.