Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I cant speak Punjabi Watch

ReputationRep:
    I love the way punjabi sounds twadaaaa ki haaal hai mundeyaa lol .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    Good.
    I'm curious now :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ha, im hindu, i can speak guji a lil and understand it. i jus dont to family only to friends, purely out of embaressment, Yes i get the same "omg you dont speak you own langugae, your not a proper indain and how will we get you married" honestly dont worry about it. jus take it on the chin im sure theres many people in the same position many of them being girls. pah youll get married. jus concentrate on your studies. its more important then fitting in!

ReputationRep:
    Try listening to films with the subtitles? Then slowly, you can pick up on words, and talk as much as Punjabi as you can with your parents and any other relatives or friends that speak it often.

Otherwise, it's not the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    I speak Punjabi too :proud:
    It's not really hard but blame your parents. They should've spoke it with you as a child rather than expect you to learn it now

ReputationRep:
    Right, Kiddha to you firstly.

Well, It's not the end of the world. But Punjabi or any language can be learnt, you just need the support to do so. Well this is my opinion, never abandon you're roots. It's best to learn you're own mother tongue language, at times you can use it as an advantage. But as I said, it's nothing bad, all you need is a supportive figure helping you understand and speak Punjabi, I'd recommend after Med school or between it when you go home. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    oora eera eeri sassa haha

So glad i did punjabi GCSE !

Also if you know the lyrics to Apna Punjab Hove you're sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    I can't speak Punjabi either.

I had a similar thing with my family when I was 12/13; my dad's side of the family are all German-speaking, although I was only brought up speaking English. I sorted it by learning to speak German But if you're finding Punjabi difficult, you don't have to learn it. It's good to be able to speak to your family, but hopefully you can use your parents to interpret/translate if they're fluent. As for them finding a girl for you, if you want an arranged marriage, can you not ask them to arrange one with someone who's in a similar predicament - a girl of your same culture, religion and ethnicity, but who was born in Britain or moved to Britain when young, and thus can't speak Punjabi either?
    LOL at the arranged marriage part

ReputationRep:
    Te nu punjabi neh oundi? Ooh teri paine de...lol.
    Learn to read it first and then speaking it will come automatically. You said that you can understand your parents a bit so you already have a lexical bank in your mind, you just need something to help you bring it out. This is what I did with hindi and now I speak it a lot better than I did before. I got my grandad to bring over children's alphabet and early reading books to help me out.

ReputationRep:
    Same I cannot speak Punjabi (quite a few words like the types of food and other words not sentences though). However I understand Punjabi fully, I understand every word. But when I start to speak it, it is so bad I literally forget everything :/. I understand quite a bit of Urdu but I don't understand Hindi at all which is very odd. I have always been spoken to in English since I was born but amongst my parents they always speak Punjabi and sometimes they think I don't understand it but I do. I certainly do not know what the swear words mean which is good, I don't want to. But I am glad I fully understand Punjabi at least. I cannot read nor write, I found it extremely difficult. I did go for Punjabi classes when I was 10 but it was awful because I couldn't do it at all. I really don't understand why my parents never spoke to me in Punjabi otherwise now I would be able to speak it fluently... I guess not .

ReputationRep:
    This is why parents should teach their kids their mother tongue. The amount of Asian kids I've come across in this country who can't speak a word of their mother tongue even though the parents themselves can speak it perfectly is embarrassing. The kids are gonna learn English anyway by going to school so why not at least at home teach them their mother tongue. We shouldn't dwell into this white man culture so much that we forget our roots, ethnicity, heritage and where we have come from.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.