Turn on thread page Beta

Just watched 'Superbad' for the first time. :rofl: Didn't like the beginning much, but it got progressively better, even if the ending sucked a bit.

Might watch 'Broadway Danny Rose' next.

EDIT: Couldn't find the DVD so watched 'This Is Spinal Tap' instead LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Ah so you definetely haven't seen On strangers tides yet then what's your order of preference for the original 3 films?

For me 2 > 1 > 3, really not a fan of At worlds end
    1>>>3>2

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Rachel McAdams was the only reason I sat through The Notebook. :awesome:

These movies always end with the DVD title menu looping. What a ridiculous ending.

ReputationRep:
    I have to be honest, I love the first three books (not the later ones as you may understand when you come to read the fourth one), but The Drawing of the Three was my least favourite out of the first three. I didn't like the slight shift of attention away from Roland. I liked Eddie though, and the whole story that went along with him.

The next book, The Wastelands, is easily my favourite and probably the strongest book in the series.

What did you think of Odetta and her story?
    About a third of the way through it was probably one of my absolute favourite books. As I said it then wavered about a bit in my estimation, but I still think I preferred it to the first just for how expansive it felt to me. The plane scene is just amazing; I love the way the perspective keeps shifting between three characters and opening up new clues (it reminds me of the film Vantage Point, and I loved the premise behind that).

After how intense the opening in New York was I found it a bit disappointing and slow when they were back trudging on the beach, which is probably why I didn't feel very responsive to her story because of how short her section in New York is before they're back on the beach. I think she has a good story arc thus far but I don't feel like I know or am interested in her character anywhere near as much as Eddie so far (or Jack Mort, for that matter), probably because with those characters a portion used their bodies as a foil in different situations, where Odetta is pretty much all backstory and how she acts relating to one specific context.

ReputationRep:
    I have to be honest, I love the first three books (not the later ones as you may understand when you come to read the fourth one), but The Drawing of the Three was my least favourite out of the first three. I didn't like the slight shift of attention away from Roland. I liked Eddie though, and the whole story that went along with him.

The next book, The Wastelands, is easily my favourite and probably the strongest book in the series.

What did you think of Odetta and her story?
    Oh man, way too long since I've read those books :emo:

I'd read them again, but I still have more Wheel Of Time to get through!

A Knight's Tale isn't strictly a comedy, no. But it is definitely a light-hearted movie. Don't expect much from it if you do end up watching it because it is predictable. But enjoyable nonetheless. It has Heath Ledger and Paul Bettany.
    And Alan ****ing Tudyk!

It really is a comedy. It's funny and light-hearted throughout, and has a happy ending. What more do you need to classify it as a comedy?

I've heard The Dark Tower series is pretty good, will read them soon. You should read The Stand, probably my favourite King novel so far.

ReputationRep:
    Currently reading American Gods :yy:

Great book. I think Gaiman is a better comic book writer than he is in writing novels. Sandman is just majestic and I've heard Coraline is pretty damn good. Still, American Gods and Neverwhere are brilliant novels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Great book. I think Gaiman is a better comic book writer than he is in writing novels. Sandman is just majestic and I've heard Coraline is pretty damn good. Still, American Gods and Neverwhere are brilliant novels.
    So much stuff I have yet to read :emo:

ReputationRep:
    I read the first Dark Tower book. Really enjoyed it, but then I got to Uni, my inner literature snob emerged and I've read basically nothing but classics ever since. Hear it gets really weird and hydra-headed later on in the series though, so possibly for the best.

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    So much stuff I have yet to read :emo:
    Better get started before you start your Training To Be Indiana Jones course.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched The Royal Tenenbaums. What a soundtrack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Just watched The Royal Tenenbaums. What a soundtrack.

Yes. Nick Drake, Nico, VU. :coma: Wes Anderson films always have amazing soundtracks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Yes. Nick Drake, Nico, VU. :coma: Wes Anderson films always have amazing soundtracks.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    About a third of the way through it was probably one of my absolute favourite books. As I said it then wavered about a bit in my estimation, but I still think I preferred it to the first just for how expansive it felt to me. The plane scene is just amazing; I love the way the perspective keeps shifting between three characters and opening up new clues (it reminds me of the film Vantage Point, and I loved the premise behind that).

After how intense the opening in New York was I found it a bit disappointing and slow when they were back trudging on the beach, which is probably why I didn't feel very responsive to her story because of how short her section in New York is before they're back on the beach. I think she has a good story arc thus far but I don't feel like I know or am interested in her character anywhere near as much as Eddie so far (or Jack Mort, for that matter), probably because with those characters a portion used their bodies as a foil in different situations, where Odetta is pretty much all backstory and how she acts relating to one specific context.
    Good premise in the film, poorly executed.

I see, I see. I didn't like her story initially, but I like how it came together in the end. You just need to get through The Wastelands now. Seriously awesome book. Has it changed your view on the best way to adapt it to the screen? First book a film, and the second book a TV series? But you would only get around 6 episodes out of the second book.

Oh man, way too long since I've read those books :emo:

I'd read them again, but I still have more Wheel Of Time to get through!
    Ah, Wheel of Time. I re-read some of those recently and it started to dawn on me how average a fantasy work it was in terms of storytelling and writing. Seriously, they're okay books if you haven't read much fantasy but after reading Robin Hobb, Tolkien, GRR Martin and Canavan, Wheel of Time comes out as fairly average. Controversial statement perhaps. :ninja:

Still it's not as bad as the complete piece of **** the Sword of Truth series is. The stuff in those books had me facepalming several times whilst reading.

And Alan ****ing Tudyk!

It really is a comedy. It's funny and light-hearted throughout, and has a happy ending. What more do you need to classify it as a comedy?
    And him. The moments between him and Paul Bettany were funny.

Are the Walking Dead comics any good?

There's a 1000 page compendium of Walking Dead comics on Amazon. :holmes:

(Original post by Madjackismad)
    Goddammit. I knew I'd overlooked something when I was purchasing all the promising looking graphic novels I could find. :emo:

Whenever it popped up on the list of graphic novels to buy, I kept discounting it as Spiderman 3 popped into my head. Don't ask why. I know they're unrelated.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Wheel of Time. I re-read some of those recently and it started to dawn on me how average a fantasy work it was in terms of storytelling and writing. Seriously, they're okay books if you haven't read much fantasy but after reading Robin Hobb, Tolkien, GRR Martin and Canavan, Wheel of Time comes out as fairly average. Controversial statement perhaps. :ninja:
    I actually agree with you. At times it's quite clumsy, but it's easy to read, and the story is pretty fun.

Are the Walking Dead comics any good?

There's a 1000 page compendium of Walking Dead comics on Amazon. :holmes:
    Yeah, they're really good. I'd also recommend the TV series, if you haven't seen it. The plot diverges from the comics pretty quickly, so neither of them spoils the other. I'm not sure about the compendium; I saw that in my comics store, and it looks a bit unwieldy to read. I've been getting the books, which are bigger than the volumes, but not as big as the compendia.

ReputationRep:
    Halfway through Blood Diamond.

How had I not seen this before? It's brilliant so far - cruel and gritty yet slick, visually stunning and riveting.

Completing L.A. Noire makes me want to watch Zodiac. I love when games make you want to watch similar films.

Yeah, they're really good. I'd also recommend the TV series, if you haven't seen it. The plot diverges from the comics pretty quickly, so neither of them spoils the other. I'm not sure about the compendium; I saw that in my comics store, and it looks a bit unwieldy to read. I've been getting the books, which are bigger than the volumes, but not as big as the compendia.
    Excellent. Will check them both out.

Also, the Dark Knight Returns is fantastic. Simply fantastic. All this time I've been thinking it was Nolan who really made Batman dark and gritty...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.