Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Or most films that come out in mainstream cinema, or a a lot of things in general at that
    What? He likes a hell of a lot of mainstream films, far more than most critics.

I've heard so many good things about the new X-Men film.
    Someone take me NOW.

Thanks

(Original post by zjs)
    Thought both Enchanted and Tangled were quirky, original, amusing and entertaining in a cutesy way.

Yes, I'm aware of how that sounds.
    Enchanted is a fabulous little (massive) film.

I can't wait for this:

Although no Paul Newman, sad days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    Enchanted is a fabulous little (massive) film.

I can't wait for this:

Although no Paul Newman, sad days.
    My girlfriend is hell-bent on dragging me along to see Cars 2; while I've yet to see Cars.

It follows a spate of me actually deciding to watch Disney films: Toy Story 3 because of the general consensus that it was great, Tangled because it was one of/the most expensive film to be produced and that moved on to watching Enchanted as well.

May have to watch Cars, if I really am to go and see Cars 2. Worth it then?

(Original post by zjs)
    My girlfriend is hell-bent on dragging me along to see Cars 2; while I've yet to see Cars.

It follows a spate of me actually deciding to watch Disney films: Toy Story 3 because of the general consensus that it was great, Tangled because it was one of/the most expensive film to be produced and that moved on to watching Enchanted as well.

I don't think I'd have watched Cars if it wasn't for my 3 year old nephew but since then I must have watched it a good 15 times (no joke) because he loves it, and in turn I love it too. Fantastic film, for sure. Just hope Cars 2 isn't a let down, I've got massive expectations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray_talk)
    I don't think I'd have watched Cars if it wasn't for my 3 year old nephew but since then I must have watched it a good 15 times (no joke) because he loves it, and in turn I love it too. Fantastic film, for sure. Just hope Cars 2 isn't a let down, I've got massive expectations.
    Does it have the subtle puns and humour of something like Shrek? :holmes:

The cutesy Pixar/Dreamworks animation coupled with some decent humour will be sufficient for me to enjoy it. If it's nothing but Disney schmultz and cuteness, I'll be less inclined to watch it.

(Original post by zjs)

The cutesy Pixar/Dreamworks animation coupled with some decent humour will be sufficient for me to enjoy it. If it's nothing but Disney schmultz and cuteness, I'll be less inclined to watch it.
    It definitely has the humour you're looking for. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaW)
    It definitely has the humour you're looking for. :yy:
    May have to give it a watch then.

DePalma's Redacted is first in the 'to watch' queue, mind.

(Original post by zjs)

Schmultz and cuteness aren't really the name of the game in this film, thankfully.

There are a few one-liners, mostly from the rusty pickup truck "Mater". It's just a fun film, to sum it up nicely.

Pixar are a lot more subtle than Dreamworks. :p:

I think Cars is probably the weakest Pixar film I've seen. It's still great, but when compared to UP, the Toy Story films, Ratatouille, The Incredibles and Wall-E, it's not as good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Wall-E.
    I've never understood the consensus surrounding Wall-E: that it's considered brilliant.

I was genuinely bored to tears within the first ten minutes of the film, and fell asleep after half an hour. All I witnessed in that time was a squeaking CGI robot.

ReputationRep:

I think Cars is probably the weakest Pixar film I've seen. It's still great, but when compared to UP, the Toy Story films, Ratatouille, The Incredibles and Wall-E, it's not as good.
    I thought that about Ratatouille lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)

duh.....cars is such a cute movie...totally worth seeing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Do not take Ratatouille's name in vain. :hand:

It's stronger than Ratatouille. Up was great and The Incredibles too, Wall-E was fun but Cars is, personally, something I can watch again and again and again. And have done

(Original post by V92000)
    Anyone watch Xmen first class? I thought it was great, was bit worried about the quick scene switching but worked really well at the start of the film!!! Wonder if green lantern will be any good?
    I wasn't a huge fan of the quick scene switching to be honest. You'd get invested in one scene and then it would switch.

The Stand is great. A lot of people regard it as the best thing that King has ever written and I'm inclined to agree with them. The Shining is great but The Stand is a lot better. Keep in mind it's a fairly long book, 1,440 pages in length but it's not difficult to read and the pace is pretty steady so you don't have to sludge through overly boring parts.
    Worth checking out then. I read The Dome and was really disappointed by that particular work. And The Stand is a horror novel? Doesn't seem like it from the synopsis.

Also are you sure Super 8 comes out in August? Pretty sure it's coming out this month. :holmes:

Never watch Ratatouille when you're feeling slightly hungry. I really liked Ratatouille. I mean, a rat who wants to cook what seems like delicious food... who'd have thought.

Ratatouille is criminally overlooked. It's a fantastic film, easily one of Pixar's strongest. It's one of their most distinctive films with a pretty rich story.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I wasn't a huge fan of the quick scene switching to be honest. You'd get invested in one scene and then it would switch.

Worth checking out then. I read The Dome and was really disappointed by that particular work. And The Stand is a horror novel? Doesn't seem like it from the synopsis.

Also are you sure Super 8 comes out in August? Pretty sure it's coming out this month. :holmes:

There are horror elements to The Stand but it's not a full blown horror story like The Shining is or IT. It's pretty epic, there are a lot of characters in it.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Haven't been reading too much of The Gunslinger but I've just finished the part where that boy tells his story of how he died in New York. I never want to read that graphic a description of a car accident again. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Right, just got back from X-Men: First Class. Can confirm that it is very, very good. Quick thoughts:

With all due respect to Sir Ian McKellen, Michael Fassbender's interpretation of Magneto is the best I've seen. I'd go as far as to say he's probably the most nuanced villain in superhero film history (although that may be too narrow a superlative). In every frame, you can practically feel the pain and hate rippling from him, fighting against a genuine desire to better the lot of mutants. At the same time, he can be quite funny and charming in his own way. It's a truly great performance. He also has a very nice theme tune.

McAvoy, Lawrence, Hoult etc. are perfectly serviceable, and Kevin Bacon is a suitably slimy and disgustingly evil villain (I don't think Kevin Bacon does anything other than creepy these days, but he does it well enough). A few of the secondary characters were quite poor, though.

Spoiler:
    Show
    We are, for example, given very little indication of sexy insect mutant's philosophical disagreement with Xavier before she defects. In fact, as a character basically there for fanservice, I was surprised she even had the capacity for philosophical disagreement. It would have possibly made more sense to have Mystique defect at that stage; her arc actually seemed to build up to it, and everyone on Shaw's team ends up with Magneto anyway.

Azazel had no depth either. I understand they have a finite amount of screentime, but he literally existed just to fight the heroes, and did pretty much nothing outside of fighting the heroes.

Finally, Emma Frost was just terrible; given January Jones' excellent work on Mad Men (the earlier seasons, anyway), I was really expecting more. Admittedly, Emma Frost is pretty hateful in the comics, but she just came across as sterile and joyless in this, giving the distinct impression that she's only on Shaw's side because there's nothing better to do. Understandable, tbh, in an era without internet, but still.

Anyway, it's definitely worth your time. It's not The Dark Knight, but it's easily the best of this series. Also, it proves the theory that the quality of an X-Men film is inversely proportionate to Hugh Jackman's screen-time. :holmes: I'd give it an 8/10.

ReputationRep:
    Ratatouille is criminally overlooked. It's a fantastic film, easily one of Pixar's strongest. It's one of their most distinctive films with a pretty rich story.
    Sorry I have to disagree! I love Pixar films, all of them, I just didn't think Ratatouille was one of the strongest. I felt it lacked some of the heart that others like WALL-E, Up, Finding Nemo have, and it didn't make up for it with the maturity of something like The Incredibles... hmm...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.