Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    We are, for example, given very little indication of sexy insect mutant's philosophical disagreement with Xavier before she defects. In fact, as a character basically there for fanservice, I was surprised she even had the capacity for philosophical disagreement. It would have made more sense to have Mystique defect at that stage; her arc actually seemed to build up to it, and everyone on Shaw's team ends up with Magneto anyway.

Azazel had no depth either. I understand they have a finite amount of screentime, but he literally existed just to fight the heroes, and did pretty much nothing outside of fighting the heroes.

Finally, Emma Frost was just terrible; given January Jones' excellent work on Mad Men (the earlier seasons, anyway), I was really expecting more. Admittedly, Emma Frost is pretty hateful in the comics, but she just came across as sterile and joyless in this, giving the distinct impression that she's only on Shaw's side because there's nothing better to do. Understandable, tbh, in an era without internet, but still.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think it was a philosophical argument at all for Angel - she joined Shaw because she had already mentioned hating being stared at for being a "freak" and so she joined the man who claimed to offer her a world where mutants are loved and become the norm rather than her being an outcast. It was much more cosmetic than philosophical.

(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Sorry I have to disagree! I love Pixar films, all of them, I just didn't think Ratatouille was one of the strongest. I felt it lacked some of the heart that others like WALL-E, Up, Finding Nemo have, and it didn't make up for it with the maturity of something like The Incredibles... hmm...
    Really? I think it's one of the more mature and sophisticated of Pixar films. Also, it is directed by Brad Bird who is also responsible for The Incredibles. :p:

Sorry I have to disagree! I love Pixar films, all of them, I just didn't think Ratatouille was one of the strongest. I felt it lacked some of the heart that others like WALL-E, Up, Finding Nemo have, and it didn't make up for it with the maturity of something like The Incredibles... hmm...
    Finding Nemo :love:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't think it was a philosophical argument at all for Angel - she joined Shaw because she had already mentioned hating being stared at for being a "freak" and so she joined the man who claimed to offer her a world where mutants are loved and become the norm rather than her being an outcast. It was much more cosmetic than philosophical.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I guess, but cosmetically, she could hide it far better than most of the others. Mystique requires a great deal of concentration to look 'normal'; Hank can't look normal at all; Havok has an immensely destructive power that he maintains a tenuous control over (as well as a general ******* attitude), and even Banshee was shown to be generally alienated by his abilities. My trouble with this particular element of the plot stems from the fact it could have worked for any of the other characters, but the only indications that Angel had these thoughts were a couple of throwaway lines about feeling like an outcast, and her job as a stripper. I understand the limitations of an ensemble film like this - you can only give each ancillary character so much screentime, after all- but her joining Shaw didn't really feel like it was properly set-up; it felt precisely like the film-makers needed to have someone defect, and that it might as well be her.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I guess, but cosmetically, she could hide it far better than most of the others. Mystique requires a great deal of concentration to look 'normal'; Hank can't look normal at all; Havok has an immensely destructive power that he maintains a tenuous control over (as well as a general ******* attitude), and even Banshee was shown to be generally alienated by his abilities. My trouble with this particular element of the plot stems from the fact it could have worked for any of the other characters, but the only indications that Angel had these thoughts were a couple of throwaway lines about feeling like an outcast, and her job as a stripper. I understand the limitations of an ensemble film like this - you can only give each ancillary character so much screentime, after all- but her joining Shaw didn't really feel like it was properly set-up; it felt precisely like the film-makers needed to have someone defect, and that it might as well be her.

All true but...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Angel had much lower self-esteem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Phalangess, when are you gonna make the retrospective threads
    I'll try and put one up soon, I'm just buried under tons of things that all need doing soon at the moment.

I'm going to watch Senna tonight, it's going to be the first time I've ever been to the cinema alone.

ReputationRep:
    All true but...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Angel had much lower self-esteem.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't know about that. Mystique seems outwardly confident but is obviously bruised from years of rejection (Charles refusing to answer whether he'd ever consider dating her, Hank openly saying he hates her blue form) and Beast is easily the most insecure character in the film (although continuity and his generally moral character obviously prevent him from ever considering any such betrayal). All said, I guess she makes sense, but I would have liked there to be some sort of buildup. It just felt arbitrary, and didn't have the shock factor it was probably supposed to, what with it coming after the whole teenage mutant bonding party thing literally two scenes earlier. Anyway, it's a minor gripe in a very good, albeit flawed film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I'll try and put one up soon, I'm just buried under tons of things that all need doing soon at the moment.

I'm going to watch Senna tonight, it's going to be the first time I've ever been to the cinema alone.

I did that for the first time today! It's actually much better. You can eat as much popcorn as you like, you're not obliged to talk to people in what is ostensibly a non-speaking activity, and it goes without saying that it's much more comfortable. It obviously helps if you're relatively asocial, but still. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh i often prefer it alone.

I get to choose the film myself, i don't have to put up with people chatting away, i just get to sit and get absorbed.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't know about that. Mystique seems outwardly confident but is obviously bruised from years of rejection (Charles refusing to answer whether he'd ever consider dating her, Hank openly saying he hates her blue form) and Beast is easily the most insecure character in the film (although continuity and his generally moral character obviously prevent him from ever considering any such betrayal). All said, I guess she makes sense, but I would have liked there to be some sort of buildup. It just felt arbitrary, and didn't have the shock factor it was probably supposed to, what with it coming after the whole teenage mutant bonding party thing literally two scenes earlier. Anyway, it's a minor gripe in a very good, albeit flawed film.

Yeah all fair enough and yes we're going way too far into this lol

ReputationRep:
    I did that for the first time today! It's actually much better. You can eat as much popcorn as you like, you're not obliged to talk to people in what is ostensibly a non-speaking activity, and it goes without saying that it's much more comfortable. It obviously helps if you're relatively asocial, but still. :yy:
    Yeah, I figured it was probably a better idea to go it alone than drag along someone with only a passing interest in F1 who would be constantly saying "who's he?" and "how much longer till the crash?".

There are a few things I don't understand about the First Class film, and it's continuity.

The character of Emma Frost ... it's the same one as the one from Wolverine: Origins? Havok is the younger brother of Cyclops, yet he seems older than Cyclops as he was portrayed on Wolverine: Origins. Though I guess if we just ignore the Wolverine film...

I agree with Christien...

Spoiler:
    Show
    There was like 2 lines about her dislike of being viewed as a freak after the two/three agents cracked jokes at them. Apart from this scene, there was no build-up of her not liking the way she was viewed. It was a bit random to have Shaw go 'Who wants to join us?' and then she joins.

If Mystique had joined, it would have had a much bigger impact. Though that would have taken away from the development we seen with her relationship with Magneto later on.

Also a shame we didn't get to see a fight with Shaw after he had absorbed the energy. I thought that's what it was building towards.

(Original post by Madjackismad)

Spoiler:
    Show
    Haven't been reading too much of The Gunslinger but I've just finished the part where that boy tells his story of how he died in New York. I never want to read that graphic a description of a car accident again. :indiff:
    That was fast.

Jake? Yeah. What do you think of the book in general? Initial thoughts?

Also, perhaps you can answer this..

Spoiler:
    Show
    Lost seems to have some Dark Tower influences like The Man in Black, but I suspect you probably won't be able to discuss that until you've read some more.

Does The Stand also feature a Man in Black? The Stand is also apparently pretty influential on Lost. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    There are a few things I don't understand about the First Class film, and it's continuity.

The character of Emma Frost ... it's the same one as the one from Wolverine: Origins? Havok is the younger brother of Cyclops, yet he seems older than Cyclops as he was portrayed on Wolverine: Origins. Though I guess if we just ignore the Wolverine film...

I agree with Christien...

Spoiler:
    Show
    There was like 2 lines about her dislike of being viewed as a freak after the two/three agents cracked jokes at them. Apart from this scene, there was no build-up of her not liking the way she was viewed. It was a bit random to have Shaw go 'Who wants to join us?' and then she joins.

If Mystique had joined, it would have had a much bigger impact. Though that would have taken away from the development we seen with her relationship with Magneto later on.

Also a shame we didn't get to see a fight with Shaw after he had absorbed the energy. I thought that's what it was building towards.

Spoiler:
    Show
    There was such a grand continuity cluster**** in this film that it's probably best to consider First Class a reboot with some small nods to the original series. Charles knows nothing about Wolverine in the first film, but has in fact met him and directly sought him out before. There is little evidence of Xavier and Mystique having any sort of relationship in the original trilogy, but they're like brother and sister in this one. Magneto and Mystique aren't really visibly romantically involved in the original trilogy (and any evidence for such involvement is left to subtext), but Mystique is naked in his bed in this one. Charles is bald and walking around like nobody's business with Erik at the start of Last Stand...but at the end of First Class he's in a wheelchair. Moira McTaggert is clearly in her thirties in the post-credit scene of Last Stand, but she's also in her late 20's-30's in the sixties. It's almost as confusing as comic-book continuity in general, which I suppose lends it an air of authenticity (:teehee:), but it will drive you nuts if you keep thinking about it.

I think the anti-climax of the Shaw battle actually served to emphasize that Shaw was ultimately kinda irrelevant; the real power struggle in the film was obviously always between Erik and Charles. They are friends 'til just about the end, but I got a definite sense that it was an incredibly tentative friendship that relied on the presence of a greater evil like Shaw to survive. I guess in this, it kinda foreshadows X-2; they can work together, but are too consumed by their own agendas to work together consistently. I reckon the abrupt demise of Shaw + Erik's turn from Charles really highlighted this.

Of course, it could just be a bad scene.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    and Joseph Gordon-Levitt :love:

I haven't checked this thread in a while, so sorry I'm late in saying this: SQUEEE!

The thing I like about JG-L is that he's been in such a wide range of films.

(Original post by Madjackismad)
    Ratatouille is criminally overlooked. It's a fantastic film, easily one of Pixar's strongest. It's one of their most distinctive films with a pretty rich story.
    The scene where Anton Ego eats the ratatouille and it makes him have a flash back to being a child is absolutely brilliant.

I'm planning on doing a film binge when I'm home all aloney from Tuesday to Thursday this week. I'm not sure what to watch other than Ferris Bueller's Day Off (I haven't seen it in ages and I can't remember if I like it), Inception (because it's brilliant), various Pixar/Studio Ghibli films and Mean Girls (because it's a cult classic film ).

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    That was fast.

Jake? Yeah. What do you think of the book in general? Initial thoughts?

Also, perhaps you can answer this..

Spoiler:
    Show
    Lost seems to have some Dark Tower influences like The Man in Black, but I suspect you probably won't be able to discuss that until you've read some more.

Does The Stand also feature a Man in Black? The Stand is also apparently pretty influential on Lost. :holmes:
    I haven't finished yet. Just finished the first chapter of The Way Station (I think). So far it's alright, not spectacular. I know the first is considered to be fairly weak (but not compared to the last 3?) but I can understand it's more like a prologue to the main story.

I honestly can't remember. It was two or three years ago since I read The Stand. You'll probably notice an immediate theme which is comparable to Lost when you read the book, but I don't want to spoil it. Also, apparently the tower on the island in Just Cause 2 (and this is the Lost island easter egg) is inspired by The Dark Tower. Do Japanese WW2 soldiers reside in King's Dark Tower? :p:

(Original post by Pi!)
    I haven't checked this thread in a while, so sorry I'm late in saying this: SQUEEE!

The thing I like about JG-L is that he's been in such a wide range of films.

The scene where Anton Ego eats the ratatouille and it makes him have a flash back to being a child is absolutely brilliant.

I'm planning on doing a film binge when I'm home all aloney from Tuesday to Thursday this week. I'm not sure what to watch other than Ferris Bueller's Day Off (I haven't seen it in ages and I can't remember if I like it), Inception (because it's brilliant), various Pixar/Studio Ghibli films and Mean Girls (because it's a cult classic film ).
    Yeah, Anton Ego was brilliant in general. Peter O Toole gave amazing voice work.

A heads-up. Channel 4 film listing for tonight.

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, 18:30 - 22:15
    X-Men: Last Stand, 22:15 - 0:15
    Oldboy, 0:15

ReputationRep:
    I saw X-Men: First Class yesterday :drool: It was sooooo awesome! I'm going to see it again next week. Gonna bye a discount card since I'm going to see at least 5 other films coming up during these three months! Can't wait for them to premier!

oh and I dunno if anyone already has posted this but this made me chuckle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    I saw X-Men: First Class yesterday :drool: It was sooooo awesome! I'm going to see it again next week. Gonna bye a discount card since I'm going to see at least 5 other films coming up during these three months! Can't wait for them to premier!

oh and I dunno if anyone already has posted this but this made me chuckle:

Discount card? :2euk48l:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.