Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I watched Scott Pilgrim again on Saturday night... Loved it yet again, but I think it might be reaching the stage where I've watched it too many times now. I think I may leave it for a couple of years before rewatching it again

ReputationRep:
    Saw Hanna, it was good. As striking in visuals and action as a Luc Besson film, but much smarter. Tom Hollander and Cate Blanchett were clearly having a great deal of fun with this. Also really impressed with Saoirse Ronan, she was immense in The Way Back as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Both.

I can deal with a sprawling mess
    Right then, the following is a list of stuff I can think of at the moment. I'll try and give a bit of context to each.

Internet
    Pretty recently I stopped using the internet a lot for film news, but the stuff I still have in my bookmarks are:
    • Reviews sites - Empire and Reger Ebert. Their style is very accessible so it's easy to just load up a review if you've got a few minutes to kill. I usually use them as a jumping point before looking to other reviewers.
    • News sites - /Film, Hollywood Reporter, Variety. I haven't used any of these in a little while, but they're all pretty good if you're looking for that kind of thing. /Film is definitely the most amateur but has some very interesting columnists, Variety is fantastic at offering a wide range of articles (they often have quite in-depth looks at the financial side of things), and HR usually gets a lot of good exclusives.
    AV Club - I never really looked at these until recently, but they are doing a really interesting series called Pop Pilgrims looking at various monuments of pop culture.
    David Bordwell's blog. Roger Ebert says that David Bordwell is the most knowledgeable person about film there is. That should tell you all you need to know - his entries are all insanely informative and well-written, and usually interesting. He put one out last week just about what he felt was an incorrect response by Empire to a letter, and it contains so much detail. He is a master.

Books
    I have far more interesting choices here than my rather predictable and boring internet bookmarks.
    An introduction to film studies (Jill Nelmes) - I don't know what level you're at, but if you're new to reading film pieces then this book is pretty good for getting down all the terminology and basic theory (which otherwise can leave you very confused very quickly with some books).
    Scorsese by Ebert - Again a nice introductory book. It features Ebert's original thoughts on all of his films (Ebert gave him his first published review, interestingly enough) as well as some updated revisions, as well as various interviews etc. It's good because there's relatively little technical stuff in it, so you can dive straight into it.
    Understanding Movies (Louis Giannetti) - Really good comprehensive book looking at film formalism - how movies communicate to the audience. Every time you dip into it you come out with a greater appreciation of how films work.
    On Film (Stephen Mulhall) - Some really entertaining and interesting interpretations of big mainstream films, like the Alien and the Mission Impossible series.
    Cities and Cinema (Barbara Mennel) - Looks at how and why films are located in certain cities and what kind of identity they can communicate.
    Quentin Tarantino And Philosophy (Richard Greene & K. Silem Mohammad) - Haven't actually started this yet, but I was intrigued by the title. :p:

Let me know if you're interested in any of these, and let me know what you think if you do actually look at some! My list is always changing based on what I'm interested in at the moment or what I enjoyed reading before, so chances are in a month I'd have an entirely different selection of things to tell you about. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Right then
    Taa very much for that

I'll look into the internet stuff for the timebeing and then try and get stuff out the uni library when i'm back next year. Can't really justify trying to read a book in the 2 weeks i have left whilst revising.

ReputationRep:
    I second the AV Club. They have a pretty great TV reviews section too.

ReputationRep:
    Am i missing something with Will Smith in the 'Actors that will be remembered thread'?

ReputationRep:
    I got Brick, Let The Right One In and The Motorcycle Diaries out the library today to watch because I haven't got college again until Friday and my exams are finished so I can have a film marathon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Am i missing something with Will Smith in the 'Actors that will be remembered thread'?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Smith#Filmography

ReputationRep:
    Your point being?

I can't recall a single time that I've seen Will Smith in a role where I've thought 'That guy's going to be remembered for that.'

ReputationRep:
    Is your basis of comparison just because they're both black? :p: They're pretty different actors. Will Smith is fantastically charismatic, and that's his main strength. I'd say he's one of the most bankable stars around right now, and if he gets cast by Tarantino it'll be as big a coup as Pitt was.

(Original post by Madjackismad)
    LOTR Extended version blu ray out at the end of the month. Includes a LOT of extras as well as a remastered version of The Fellowship of the Ring. :awesome:
    Being released in theatres too apparently. :holmes:

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Is your basis of comparison just because they're both black? :p: They're pretty different actors. Will Smith is fantastically charismatic, and that's his main strength. I'd say he's one of the most bankable stars around right now, and if he gets cast by Tarantino it'll be as big a coup as Pitt was.
    You're too fast, man. :emo:

Isn't he rumoured to be cast in Django Unchained? It would be interesting to see. He's not been in many 'big' movies recently. Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds weren't the best picks for films.

I feel dirty for spelling it 'Happyness'

ReputationRep:
    I must also point out that i'm not saying Will Smith will never be an actor that people remember, just that i don't think he's done anything of the level to be remembered.

ReputationRep:
    About to watch True Grit, don't know why it's taken me so long. Will report back!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the middle of a movie marathon night (gonna try to restrict it to movies I haven't seen yet, so far so good!) and so far I've watched The Breakfast Club and Adaptation (just finished)... Now starting The Ghost (the Roman Polanski one). EDIT: Damn my copy of The Ghost is out of sync :/ now for The Informant!

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Being released in theatres too apparently. :holmes:
    ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    List of films I watched today:

500 Days of Summer (again)
    Christopher and His Kind (again)
    Easy A
    Despicable Me
    Adjustment Bureau

I'm going to find some sort of productive hobby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    You're too fast, man. :emo:

Isn't he rumoured to be cast in Django Unchained? It would be interesting to see. He's not been in many 'big' movies recently. Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds weren't the best picks for films.
    He was by far the best thing about I Am Legend, and he's been in a lot of solid films like Men In Black, Bad Boys, I, Robot, Hitch, etc. He's our generation's version of Marilyn Monroe/Tom Cruise, except he can act a bit.

ReputationRep:
    So just finished True Grit.

Wow. Haven't enjoyed a film so much since, I don't know when! Best Coen Brothers film since Fargo in my opinion.

Scandalous that Hailee Steinfeld didn't win the Oscar. It was more of a leading role than supporting admittedly, but she was a thousand times better than Melissa Leo who I thought was a bit hammy in The Fighter.

Also, shed a tear for her poor horse.

ReputationRep:
    Steinfeld should definitely have won, but I liked Melissa Leo in The Fighter. :dontknow: If you want to see her in a more subdued role, I recommend Treme. It's an alternatingly grim and hopeful series about post-Katrina New Orleans, and it's from David Simon, so it's obviously great.

ReputationRep:
    Going to go and see First Class today :yy:

Right after i've traded in a few things and pre-ordered OoT :coma:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.