Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    when/if dubbing reaches such a stage that it's effectively seamless and very accurate.
    That will never happen, because the shapes the mouth makes when speaking a sentence in different languages are completely different.

I wrote an article about subtitles recently, if anyone's interested: http://www.24framespersecond.co.uk/p...2234/subtitles

There's a Roger Ebert greatest movie app for the iPhone. :awesome:

*grabs phone*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    That will never happen, because the shapes the mouth makes when speaking a sentence in different languages are completely different.

I wrote an article about subtitles recently, if anyone's interested: http://www.24framespersecond.co.uk/p...2234/subtitles
    Shameless blog plug, much? :pierre:

I don't think it's likely to ever be a possibility, in fact it may be patently very unlikely. The "when" was more of an "if". I accept that you're saying it's pretty much a logical impossibility, but I wouldn't put it past filmmakers of the future to start investing bigger budgets into dubbing at some point, at which time CGI warping of the mouth to suit the English translation might be explored and implemented, as one possible example. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Shameless blog plug, much? :pierre:

I don't think it's likely to ever be a possibility, in fact it may be patently very unlikely. The "when" was more of an "if". I accept that you're saying it's pretty much a logical impossibility, but I wouldn't put it past filmmakers of the future to start investing bigger budgets into dubbing at some point, at which time CGI warping of the mouth to suit the English translation might be explored and implemented, as one possible example. :moon:
    Well it was on this exact topic, so I figured it was better than just copy-pasting. :p:

I would suggest that to get CGI of the quality where it didn't look even more off-putting would never be financially viable, especially considering that the type of films requiring this technology are likely to be independent foreign releases with a relatively small audience.

Dubbing is just awful though, it rips out the artistic integrity of a film.

Reminds me of the old Japanese cartoons that had the mouths of the cartoon character replaced with that of an actor that could speak English. A good example is in Pulp Fiction. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Well, it's the same as voice actors in animated films, really. Some are extremely good at portraying emotion and mould themselves into the character. Obviously, this is more difficult when you're doing a voice over for a real person, rather than an animation of a character that can be adapted and is, most likely, based on you to some extent in the first place.
    Jennifer Hale could do it :love:

(Original post by Phalanges)

I wrote an article about subtitles recently, if anyone's interested: http://www.24framespersecond.co.uk/post/6111632234/subtitles
    I read it already :fyi: You're on my Google Reader

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand dubbed live action films, but for some reason I prefer foreign animated films to be dubbed rather than have subtitles. :dontknow:

I'm not a huge fan of subtitles in general (I sometimes find they distract from the acting/other visual elements when there's a lot of dialogue) but I strongly, strongly prefer them to dubbing.

Anyway, I think I'll give a movie a re-watch today. Currently leaning towards No Country for Old Men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    I'm not going to lie, that makes me feel cool. :p:

I set up a google reader account yesterday.

Jennifer Hale could do it :love:

No more MGS. :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    No more MGS. :nopity:
    Metal Gear Solid? Never played them.

Metal Gear Solid? Never played them.
    :nothing:

She's pretty famous for her role in the games. :p:

ReputationRep:
    :nothing:

She's pretty famous for her role in the games. :p:
    She's Bastila, and she's Commander Shepard. That's enough without anything else.

She's Bastila, and she's Commander Shepard. That's enough without anything else.
    Metal Gear Solid comes before them, bro. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Metal Gear Solid comes before them, bro. :pierre:
    Nothing comes before ME and KotOR :pierre:

Nothing comes before ME and KotOR :pierre:
    We probably wouldn't have those games if MGS never came out for the PS1. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    We probably wouldn't have those games if MGS never came out for the PS1. :pierre:
    And we wouldn't have any of them without Pong, Pac Man, Doom and Duke Nukem, but that doesn't mean those games are better.

And we wouldn't have any of them without Pong, Pac Man, Doom and Duke Nukem, but that doesn't mean those games are better.
    Duke Nukem 3D and MGS pretty much lead the surge in development of 3D, cinematic games. Metal Gear Solid is one of the first true cinematic video games to come out and you can agree that Mass Effect is pretty cinematic. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Duke Nukem 3D and MGS pretty much lead the surge in development of 3D, cinematic games. Metal Gear Solid is one of the first true cinematic video games to come out and you can agree that Mass Effect is pretty cinematic. :p:
    A great man once said, "but that doesn't mean those games are better."

Ended up re-watching 127 Hours. Bowled right over again, and noted several things I hadn't quite grasped the first time - notably, Boyle's use of film montage.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.