The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2500
Original post by cambo211
A nice little history of every 3D film ever made:

I know these are your kind of thing.

That is mega flippin' awesome, and I don't even like 3D!
New fun thing; Sort the movies on my computer by genre. Because they all use metadata rather than me manually typing everything in, there's some bloody weird genres. Try and guess which films I have from these genres:

Albino Bias
Christian Film
Future History (what the hell does this mean?)
Movies About Gladiators
Mumblecore
Psycho-Biddy (perhaps my favourite descriptor ever)
Original post by Phalanges
The Guardian actually called it S Club Game of Thrones Junior. And the even better Hollycloaks. :awesome:

It's true. They speak in monotones, the atmosphere is dreary and the narrative is dull and slow-moving.

Game of Thrones however...have you still been watching it? :hmmm:

I know these are your kind of thing.

Love these things. Awesome.
Reply 2503
Try and guess which films I have from these genres:

Movies About Gladiators

Gladiator? :pierre:
Original post by zjs

Dammit I knew there was one :tongue:
Reply 2505

The Jonas Brothers 3D is an actual film release? I feel sick.
Original post by zjs
The Jonas Brothers 3D is an actual film release? I feel sick.

Reply 2507

Knowing Phalanges' film taste, I bet 1 TSR credit that it's anything but Gladiator. Another 1 TSR credit that there's a documentary in there somewhere. :pierre:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Knowing Phalanges' film taste, I bet 1 TSR credit that it's anything but Gladiator. Another 1 TSR credit that there's a documentary in there somewhere. :pierre:

So Ben-Hur and Colosseum: The Gladiator's Story :wink:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
It's true. They speak in monotones, the atmosphere is dreary and the narrative is dull and slow-moving.

Game of Thrones however...have you still been watching it? :hmmm:

I had stopped but I recently went on a bit of a binge which took me up to episode 7. I would have watched the last one but the weekend came and F1 beckoned instead.

It's very watchable. I do enjoy it, but I don't think it's a great work. There are moments when it all comes together and that's fantastic (and they usually involve Aidan Gillen, who is absolutely sensational in this) but for every moment like that there's a moment where you think "ugh, why am I watching this?". And also something that really annoys me is how jarringly clunky some of the dialogue can be, when they speak as if they're from some historical stereotype but only do it intermittently and nobody really gets how to put inflections on that kind of speech.

So yeah, I would class it as similar to Rome and Spartacus were it not for it's really good cast and story which occasionally shows moments of genius, which elevates it slightly above those. Speaking of crap pseudo-history shows though, I'm looking forward to The Borgias. :ahee:

Original post by zjs

Haha, not quite. I would be utterly amazed if anyone got this one. It is by no means an obscure film, just hilariously miscategorised. I can't think of a single gladiator in it, although there is an arena of sorts. In fact, none of them are particularly obscure except maybe the one from mumblecore and the future history one.

Also, no docs from those categories Ape. :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2511
x

:holmes:

Future History: Back to the Future?

Psycho-Biddy: Psycho? :colonhash:

Original post by zjs
:holmes:

Future History: Back to the Future?

Psycho-Biddy: Psycho? :colonhash:

Hint; none of them have the genre in their title. :p:

Future History was Things To Come (which is apparently available for free on youtube, and worth a watch if you have the time - I've never seen anything quite like it).

There were no biddies in Psycho. :p: Psycho-biddy is a perfect genre for this film, it pretty much sums up the plot of the film.
Reply 2513

Future History was Things To Come (which is apparently available for free on youtube, and worth a watch if you have the time - I've never seen anything quite like it).

There were no biddies in Psycho. :p: Psycho-biddy is a perfect genre for this film, it pretty much sums up the plot of the film.

Is the Gladiator one Tron?
Original post by Abiraleft

Original post by Abiraleft
Is the Gladiator one Tron?

Nope, that is cyperpunk. :p: It is sci-fi though.
Reply 2515

Mrs. Bates. :colonhash:

Need a film to watch now. Ideas? Looking for an 'inspiring' film and was thinking along the lines of I Am Sam or Invictus, having watched neither.

Original post by zjs
Mrs. Bates. :colonhash:

Need a film to watch now. Ideas? Looking for an 'inspiring' film and was thinking along the lines of I Am Sam or Invictus, having watched neither.

She is not a (psycho) biddy anywhere near the extent in the sense of the lead in this film. :p:

Inspirational, you say? How about Up In The Air or Please Give, if you haven't seen those? Invictus is also a good shout.
Reply 2517
She is not a (psycho) biddy anywhere near the extent in the sense of the lead in this film. :p:

Inspirational, you say? How about Up In The Air or Please Give, if you haven't seen those? Invictus is also a good shout.

Seen both. Enjoyed Up In the Air but, not being especially driven by money in the first place, I didn't find it particularly inspiring. May go with Invictus then.
Reply 2518
Nope, that is cyperpunk. :p: It is sci-fi though.

It's not Star Wars, is it?

I can tell this is going to nag me for ages. :colonhash:
Just watched Inception again......understood it a lot better now :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest