The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I have quite a liking the National Treasure films. They aren't much in terms of great films, but they sure are enjoyable.

:ditto:
Reply 2761
Another thing which was really good was the way that deaths were handled in objective gametypes. I can't remember precisely, but they started from a certain number and counted downwards every time someone died, and rose when an enemy was killed. And the medic class was ultimately crucial since saving a life would save the score. None of this crap emphasis on kill/death ratios. Other positives being a lot of people tend to have microphones for the purpose of actually communicating and a lot of people actually thank you for saving them. Pleasant gameplay all round.

On the Xbox, the microphones weren't really used for genial communication. They were a lot more than COD, admittedly, but there was a lot of useless chatter and people speaking in foreign languages.

I used to play the Domination mode, with the flags. The points you got from taking a flag were great, plus you got extra for being the first there. The deaths thing was good too though, and yeah, the defibrillator became a key tool. In the end, the Assault class was my favourite as I could hide behind enemy lines and constantly reload my ammo and grenades.

Ape Gone Insane
That and running around with a defibrillator. :ahee:

It was good for points and ensuring you took a base by bringing your team back (your squad could always spawn on you), but it could also become annoying; with people reviving you constantly into the line of fire of a tank! :dry:

Ape Gone Insane
I didn't even know you were much of a gamer until you posted about it. Always learning new things. :tongue:

Mainly FPS games, but I'm partial to RPGs and original, innovative, titles too.

Ape Gone Insane
Nah, it took him to Davy Jones Locker. And then in the third film, one of the villains (forgettable) who was ransoming the heart told Davy Jones he had ordered him to kill his own beast.

Must've tuned out at that point. :erm:

Ape Gone Insane
I sort of like that trait in Jack Sparrow.

There's also this obsession with living for a long time. First film, the treasure cursed them to become half-dead, second and third films were concerned with Davy Jone's heart and sailing the seas forever and finally, the fourth film is the Magic Fountain and the extension of life. Getting slightly boring now.

It gets pretty old pretty quickly though.

True, they were invincible, immortal and, now, forever young. I suppose there aren't really that many things to do with the series though. It's set after the "here be dragons" mapping of the world, and so they can't really use that. They have used a lot of mythical sea creatures though, and I can't really think of any more they can introduce. The could try a giant squid, but that'd be too much like the Kraken.
Original post by cambo211
:ditto:

Heh, I was watching this with some friends and it amused me how 'scientific' their archaeology skills were... :P They were handling ancient artifacts like nothing, touching them with their bare hands and everything! I know nothing about archaeology, but at least I know you don't just hold a priceless artifact like that. XD
Wish they would just stop with these :facepalm2:, can't imagine it'll be particularly enjoyable in 3D, either.

Reply 2764
Original post by punctuation
Heh, I was watching this with some friends and it amused me how 'scientific' their archaeology skills were... :P They were handling ancient artifacts like nothing, touching them with their bare hands and everything! I know nothing about archaeology, but at least I know you don't just hold a priceless artifact like that. XD

Indiana Jones was just as bad: destroying an entire temple, with traps still working after thousands of years, for the sake of a gold artefact weighing a few pounds.

Original post by rofflewaffle
Wish they would just stop with these :facepalm2:, can't imagine it'll be particularly enjoyable in 3D, either.

You've returned. :adore: Where've you been?

Final Destination 1 was bad enough, tbh. 3D will probably invigorate the series once more and persuade 'fans' to actually go out and watch it in the cinema. :facepalm2:
Reply 2765

Hadn't seen the trailer for this before. Looks just as awful as I'd imagined.
Original post by zjs

You've returned. :adore: Where've you been?

Final Destination 1 was bad enough, tbh. 3D will probably invigorate the series once more and persuade 'fans' to actually go out and watch it in the cinema. :facepalm2:

Other places :moon:

It's annoying that the original idea is actually quite good, and if they'd chosen better actors + with a better storyline it could have been something, a bit like 'The Butterfly Effect' (if you ignore the horrific 2nd and 3rd films...). Ah well.

Original post by Jeebus42
Hadn't seen the trailer for this before. Looks just as awful as I'd imagined.

I was hoping that when they named the fourth one 'The Final Destination', it would be the last. Apparently not.
Reply 2767
Other places :moon:

It's annoying that the original idea is actually quite good, and if they'd chosen better actors + with a better storyline it could have been something, a bit like 'The Butterfly Effect' (if you ignore the horrific 2nd and 3rd films...). Ah well.

Lurking, you mean? :colonhash:

If they'd managed to get actors who could actually act and a plotline that didn't involve the most ridiculous deaths imaginable then yeah, it could've been decent. One film would've been sufficient though. :sadnod:
Original post by Mad Cat Lady
Hey, I know you did this flippin ages ago but I can't be arsed to go find any LOTR related posts so I'll pick on you :wink: I think it was because the nazgul would have flown up and eaten them all :tongue:

Also what I don't get, sorry if someone's already mentioned it, but how come aragorn goes stabbing and slashing all the blood riders and setting them on fire, then they all get washed down the river by a tidal wave, and aragorn's all like ohh they can't die... Then all eowyn has to do is stab the witch king in the face and he dies?!

haha fair enough, yeah true and there wouldn't have been much of a story I s'pose :biggrin:

lol yeah The nazgul are 'living undead' and can't be killed by any man but at least they got stalled : D, the movie expanded on the can't be killed by a man thing and had Eowyn kill him instead (I think in the actual books the Witch king was killed differently though)

The witch king just getting stabbed in the face was underwhelming, but the imploding thing was pretty cool :cool:
I have quite a liking for the National Treasure films. They aren't much in terms of great films, but they sure are enjoyable.

Same, especially NT2. I just love watching Diane Kruer on screen tbh

The final Destination franchise, I'm a fan but really they should just be called 'The never ending story', it's a more true title
Original post by lukejoshjedi
haha fair enough, yeah true and there wouldn't have been much of a story I s'pose :biggrin:

lol yeah The nazgul are 'living undead' and can't be killed by any man but at least they got stalled : D, the movie expanded on the can't be killed by a man thing and had Eowyn kill him instead (I think in the actual books the Witch king was killed differently though)

The witch king just getting stabbed in the face was underwhelming, but the imploding thing was pretty cool :cool:

Mmm, yes I should probably make a point of reading those books, they're just sort of sitting in my room looking at me all the time 0_0
I think she should have eaten his face for extra impressiveness :biggrin:
Original post by zjs
Lurking, you mean? :colonhash:

If they'd managed to get actors who could actually act and a plotline that didn't involve the most ridiculous deaths imaginable then yeah, it could've been decent. One film would've been sufficient though. :sadnod:

Nahh.

Agreed. The end of the fourth one was just, well, ridiculous as you said. Can't wait for number 5! :unimpressed:.
Reply 2772
I just watched my first Woody Allen film: Annie Hall. I really, really enjoyed it. Is it true that his movies have been on a downward spiral since?

Also, might finally go to see X-Men: First Class at the movies tomorrow. Michael Fassbender sounds like a very interesting actor; I might watch Hunger pretty soon as well.
Reply 2773
Nahh.

Agreed. The end of the fourth one was just, well, ridiculous as you said. Can't wait for number 5! :unimpressed:.

I meant most of the deaths throughout were ridiculous - absolutely preposterous things killing them, which they could've easily survived.

The ending of the fourth was abysmal. They should just give up.

It's the same with Saw, that was a fantastic concept that was actually executed well in the first film, despite the fairly dire acting. The second was watchable and they've all gone steadily downhill since.
Original post by zjs
I meant most of the deaths throughout were ridiculous - absolutely preposterous things killing them, which they could've easily survived.

The ending of the fourth was abysmal. They should just give up.

It's the same with Saw, that was a fantastic concept that was actually executed well in the first film, despite the fairly dire acting. The second was watchable and they've all gone steadily downhill since.

Oh I know, and agree completley :tongue:.

Saw :nopity:, haven't seen the last one or two but if the deterioration of the others in the series is anything to go by, I don't expect they'd be particularly fantastic.

Maybe, future film directors/writers can learn from these mistakes...
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by zjs

I don't think the acting in Saw was particularly bad. Plus it had Michael Emerson, who is one of the most criminally underused actors of the last decade.
Original post by Phalanges
I don't think the acting in Saw was particularly bad. Plus it had Michael Emerson, who is one of the most criminally underused actors of the last decade.

I can vouch for that, he was amazing in Lost

Estimates for The Green Lanterns opening box office gross are dissapointing - $52 million or so... it's being regarded a flop by some people online already, bad reviews for it did kinda flood in but won't put me off going to watch it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2777
Original post by Phalanges

The acting of 'Adam' in the first film was fairly awful, tbh. Real B movie stuff. Not so bad other than him, admittedly, but he took up a lot of screen time.
Reply 2778
Oh I know, and agree completley :tongue:.

Saw :nopity:, haven't seen the last one or two but if the deterioration of the others in the series is anything to go by, I don't expect they'd be particularly fantastic.

Maybe, future film directors/writers can learn from these mistakes...

Great minds. :moon:

I stopped Saw at the third too. :sadnod:
Original post by zjs

I stopped Saw at the third too. :sadnod:

As did I.

Spoiler

I like it at that.

Quick Reply

Latest