Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most people have mentioned the directors I like. But nobody seemed to have brought up Martin Scorsese, so I'll just throw his name in the mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Oh man, I can never answer this as fully as I'd like. Always omitting somebody.

But anyway... Stanley Kubrick, Roman Polanski, Sergio Leone, Billy Wilder, John Huston (probably the greatest director of adventure films in cinema history), Alfred Hitchcock, Sidney Lumet, Spike Jonze, Francis Ford Coppola, Clint Eastwood (despite occasional lapses into mediocrity), and Carol Reed. Could probably stick Nolan in there too.
    Hey christien, you excited for Star wars the old republic? Just wondering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Most people have mentioned the directors I like. But nobody seemed to have brought up Martin Scorsese, so I'll just throw his name in the mix.

GODDAMMIT. That's the one I forgot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    On the comedy front, while I do enjoy them I also find myself not really counting them as "proper" films. All you can really say about them is that they make you laugh or that they didn't; with the exception of Judd Apatow films there are pretty much no mainstream comedies that make any attempt at saying anything at any kind of level deeper than that.
    So you don't count many films, relative to the quantity produced, as "proper"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Hey christien, you excited for Star wars the old republic? Just wondering

Well, I don't usually like MMOs. WoW was entertaining for a while, but I wasn't addicted or anything. Didn't really dig SW Galaxies either. However, I trust BioWare implicitly at this point. If they felt they could adapt A Serbian Film into a halfway decent game, I'd probably buy it. I'm also very encouraged by the sharp focus on story and the apparent lack of grinding. And despite Lucas and Lucasarts' best efforts, I still have some lingering affection for the SW franchise. So I'm tentatively on board with it, but it's nowhere near my most anticipated game of the year or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punctuation)
    Favorite directors anyone?

Personally a fan of Jason Reitman, Jacob Tierney, and... I have a love/hate relationship with Sofia Coppola. :blush:
    Ingmar Bergman, Alfred Hitchcock, Sam Peckinpah, Akira Kurosawa, Elia Kazan, Woody Allen, Krzysztof Kieslowski.

(Original post by Pandora.)
    Sorry, thinking about it I don't really mean it when I say 'rubbish' They just didn't seem like the kind of movies that would appeal to me..
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've not seen the vast majority of superhero films because I'm simply not that interested in a superhero character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punctuation)
    Favorite directors anyone?

Personally a fan of Jason Reitman, Jacob Tierney, and... I have a love/hate relationship with Sofia Coppola. :blush:
    Paul Thomas Anderson is my favourite director as he is consistently brilliant, closely followed by Terrence Malick. Also, David Lynch is in my top three.

A few years ago I would have had to choose between Fincher, Soderbergh and Tarantino, but those guys have all dropped the ball lately.

ReputationRep:
    Kubrick's projection guidelines for Barry Lyndon. It's a nice bit of history not often seen.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Kubrick's projection guidelines for Barry Lyndon. It's a nice bit of history not often seen.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I like the logo...

ReputationRep:
    Think I'm going to give Senna a try. Even though I'm not a F1 fan at all I think I might enjoy it. Same thing happened with The September Issue, I have no interest in high fashion whatsoever but that documentary is my probably my favourite one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    x
    x
    As an idea, I was wondering whether it'd be a good idea to add a "recommend a film to watch" thread to the group, possibly with a sticky as the OP suggesting great films in each genre? :holmes:

Could use it to suggest films and allow people to make requests about a film they wished to watch; getting them to try and stipulate what sort of film they wanted to watch at the beginning of their post.

Would be a good way to get even more traffic into the society, and kill two birds with one stone, by helping clear the slew of "what film should I watch" threads from the Film forum.

(Original post by zjs)
    As an idea, I was wondering whether it'd be a good idea to add a "recommend a film to watch" thread to the group, possibly with a sticky as the OP suggesting great films in each genre? :holmes:

Could use it to suggest films and allow people to make requests about a film they wished to watch; getting them to try and stipulate what sort of film they wanted to watch at the beginning of their post.

Would be a good way to get even more traffic into the society, and kill two birds with one stone, by helping clear the slew of "what film should I watch" threads from the Film forum.
    Not sure I understand or what follow what you just said.

(Original post by zjs)

Isn't that basically what the 'Recommend a film/What's your favourite film?' thread was designed to do?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure I understand or what follow what you just said.
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Isn't that basically what the 'Recommend a film/What's your favourite film?' thread was designed to do?
    Well, it's not significantly different from that thread, no.

A better idea, perhaps: linking the 'Recommend a film' thread to the society, and including within it provision for people making requests about which film they should watch? It's implied by the title, i.e. a library of recommended films, but it doesn't mention, explicitly, that posters can use it to make requests for films they should watch, so many posters wanting suggestions miss it entirely.

(Original post by zjs)

A better idea, perhaps: linking the 'Recommend a film' thread to the society, and including within it provision for people making requests about which film they should watch? It's implied by the title, i.e. a library of recommended films, but it doesn't mention, explicitly, that posters can use it to make requests for films they should watch, so many posters wanting suggestions miss it entirely.
    What Recommend a film thread? Linking it to the society how? The chat thread? The social group?

And..

(Original post by TSR Film Recommendations)

This thread has two purposes; to provide a general guide on what are favourable films and to act as an active discussion thread for anybody looking for further film recommendations. If you feel strongly about a film that was omitted or is not on the list, then please post it below. If a few other people agree with you, it will be added.

Alternatively, if you have examined the list and want to ask for some further film recommendations, go ahead and post - some users may be able to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    What Recommend a film thread? Linking it to the society how? The chat thread? The social group?

And..
    Hm. Failed to recognise those few lines every time I've browsed it. I was thinking along the lines of something that signifies the fact that it's used by people requesting films to watch for those incapable of understanding this is implied in recommendations; perhaps via a forum sticky or the title of the thread itself.

When you're on a thread and it gives you the "link this thread to a group" option, on the thread tools drop-down menu; linking the thread to the Film Fanatics Society that way (I mean social group when I say society, if that's where confusion's being caused).

(Original post by zjs)
    Hm. Failed to recognise those few lines every time I've browsed it. I was thinking along the lines of something that signifies the fact that it's used by people requesting films to watch for those incapable of understanding this is implied in recommendations; perhaps via a forum sticky or the title of the thread itself.

When you're on a thread and it gives you the "link this thread to a group" option, on the thread tools drop-down menu; linking the thread to the Film Fanatics Society that way (I mean social group when I say society, if that's where confusion's being caused).
    The thing you learn is people will continue to make these generic crap threads no matter what you put or make. It happens with the 'What music is this?' thread or any thread. People like ignoring threads and making their own threads. You need only look at TSR. Or recently, the book forum where there has been several generic and crap threads. So far all these threads have been merged with the Recommendations thread.

And if you're going to separate the recommendations library and the requests thread, then you may as well separate the 'What's your favourite film' too. You could change the title, but there's so much in it already.

Anyway, Phalanges is the mod so he's the best one inclined to comment.

I think I was confused at how linking to a society changes anything. It's just a glorified feature that no one except me and you actually care about or use.

(Original post by zjs)

Ah, I see what you mean now. I think it's a good idea in principle. It could turn out difficult to manage, though.

I think I was confused at how linking to a society changes anything. It's just a glorified feature that no one except me and you actually care about or use.
    This is true though, so it probably wouldn't be very effective in practice.

ReputationRep:
    Social groups are often used more than you or I think, though. There're plenty of social groups where there are scores of members who've never posted in the thread and join the group, and people who find the thread through the social group (I suppose they must search the social groups for their interests). Linking it to the society may bring it to the attention of those who wouldn't trawl the film forum.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    AThis is true though, so it probably wouldn't be very effective in practice.
    See above. :beard:

(Original post by zjs)
    Social groups are often used more than you or I think, though. There're plenty of social groups where there are scores of members who've never posted in the thread and join the group, and people who find the thread through the social group (I suppose they must search the social groups for their interests). Linking it to the society may bring it to the attention of those who wouldn't trawl the film forum.
    I don't see that happening much. This society would get hardly any join requests if I did not have the link explicitly in the OP. It currently gets 7 or 8 a week compared to other groups which get 4 or 5 a month, in my experience. This is only because there are people who want to join by seeing the chat thread on top of the film forum but are not so interested in actually posting.

Most of these threads are coming from people who can't be bothered looking for an existing thread and just want a quick answer. If someone was taking time to look at associated threads, they would spot the Recommendations thread with over 1000 posts? If you did have this thread, the problem would remain. You'd still get a thread the next day or after 'Recommend me an action film'.

In my opinion. :dontknow:

EDIT: Recommendations thread isn't even associated. :dry: But I still stand by my point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.