Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Anybody going to see Transformers 3 as purely mindless entertainment? :awesome:
    (Original post by zjs)
    No, as the films thus far have been so tired and cliche-ridden that they weren't even entertaining.
    I stopped watching the first film halfway through because it was just so incredibly dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    I stopped watching the first film halfway through because it was just so incredibly dull.
    I was forced to go. Forced. Everyone else insisted we watch it, both times.

Managed to remain awake for the first, but as I can't remember any of the second and was punched in the arm for snoring at one point, I'm pretty sure I didn't fare so well at staying awake in that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    I was forced to go. Forced. Everyone else insisted we watch it, both times.

Managed to remain awake for the first, but as I can't remember any of the second and was punched in the arm for snoring at one point, I'm pretty sure I didn't fare so well at staying awake in that one.
    I watched it on a long, long flight. Then I stopped watching it, and was happier.

Had I been in the cinema, I would have got up and walked out.

I wish I'd done that for Blitz, actually. That was appalling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Apologie for not getting back to you sooner, it's a really busy time for me at the moment. I think the intentions behind your proposals are admirable, but ultimately I don't think they are significantly different to what's already in place and I can't see them making much difference. I don't know if you've ever spent much time in the medical forum, but that is an area with many specific megathreads and a number of mods each more dedicated than I will ever be, and there are still tens of threads created a day that need to be merged. Getting people to stop posting inane threads is something that is pretty much an impossibility.

I agree that they're bloody annoying, but really they're never going to stop being made. All I can do is encourage you all to report them as they are made to be merged, and create interesting and varied threads to overshadow the crap.

@Ape: thanks for the advice about the Kindle. Sorry about seeming to have ignored you, I'll get back to you soon about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Apologie for not getting back to you sooner, it's a really busy time for me at the moment. I think the intentions behind your proposals are admirable, but ultimately I don't think they are significantly different to what's already in place and I can't see them making much difference. I don't know if you've ever spent much time in the medical forum, but that is an area with many specific megathreads and a number of mods each more dedicated than I will ever be, and there are still tens of threads created a day that need to be merged. Getting people to stop posting inane threads is something that is pretty much an impossibility.

I agree that they're bloody annoying, but really they're never going to stop being made. All I can do is encourage you all to report them as they are made to be merged, and create interesting and varied threads to overshadow the crap.

@Ape: thanks for the advice about the Kindle. Sorry about seeming to have ignored you, I'll get back to you soon about it!
    Yeah, that was pretty much the consensus in the end. :sadnod:

The problem though, is that merging them into one thread only serves to fill threads which were active with the same old banal nonsense about "what about film should i watch?!" and serves to make these threads less active, too. Plus, all the threads that are actually varied and interesting seem to get overshadowed and lost beneath the tidal wave of crap ones.

It's a shame TSR couldn't implement a system whereby the mods check through the threads before they're allowed onto the site (i.e. as they do when threads are posted anonymously on H&R). Evidently the time considerations are such that it would never be done, but short of that level of filter, forums like this will invariably get way, way, more inane drivel than intelligent posts. This thread is a bastion against it. The Alamo.

ReputationRep:
    Fellowship of the Ring Blu Ray tonight :coma:

It looks absolutely stunning on my parent's TV. I didn't want the Extended Editions as I have those on DVD, so the Theatricals are properly cheap on amazon now.

Sometimes I just wanna watch the shorter version, you know? :rolleyes:

Seeing this makes me want the Gladiator Blu Ray.. I must not get Blu Ray addicted.

Okay, so, I'm going away for a month and will have no entertainment on trains (a lot of trains :sigh:) except my ipod. Please recommend me movies/tv shows to put on there, bear in mind I'll probably have to watch stuff more than once. I probably have about 20gb, though. Recommend me stuff, please. :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaW)
    Okay, so, I'm going away for a month and will have no entertainment on trains (a lot of trains :sigh:) except my ipod. Please recommend me movies/tv shows to put on there, bear in mind I'll probably have to watch stuff more than once. I probably have about 20gb, though. Recommend me stuff, please. :puppyeyes:
    I recommend buying a Kindle :yy:

(Original post by JessicaW)
    I'd take a train over a plane any day.

Some random recommendations that came to mind, not sure what you like. You may have seen some of these...

Films
    • V for Vendetta
    • Sherlock Holmes
    • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    • Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel
    • Spirited Away
    • Howl's Moving Castle
    • Scott Pilgrim v The World
    • Big Fish
    • Ocean's Eleven/Twelve/Thirteen
    • Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    • Crash
    • Lord of the Rings?
    • Léon
    • Downfall
    • The Prestige
    • Memento
    • Donnie Darko
    • Amelie
    • District 9
    • The Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
    • Inglorious Basterds
    • Serenity

TV Shows
    • Breaking Bad
    • Dexter
    • Firefly
    • Hustle
    • Prison Break
    • Sherlock
    • Arrested Development
    • The Walking Dead

(Original post by pinkpenguin)

It looks absolutely stunning on my parent's TV. I didn't want the Extended Editions as I have those on DVD, so the Theatricals are properly cheap on amazon now.

Seeing this makes me want the Gladiator Blu Ray.. I must not get Blu Ray addicted.
    There were some comparison screenshots of the Blu-ray versions of Extended Editions and Theatrical editions. The new one, extended editions, looked a bit off-putting. They had this extreme green overlay which makes certain scenes look ridiculous. Like they are taking place inside the Matrix.

But there are other scenes which are so unbelievably gorgeous and sharp. I love blu-ray. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I think an Inlgorious Basterds retrospective thread would be pretty good

Man I can't wait to see 30 minutes or less, bet it's gonna be hilarious and 'Rise of the Apes' also, which I think will be a sleeper hit but a great film nonetheless

I'd take a train over a plane any day.

Some random recommendations that came to mind, not sure what you like. You may have seen some of these...

Films
    • V for Vendetta
    • Sherlock Holmes
    • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    • Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel
    • Spirited Away
    • Howl's Moving Castle
    • Scott Pilgrim v The World
    • Big Fish
    • Ocean's Eleven/Twelve/Thirteen
    • Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    • Crash
    • Lord of the Rings?
    • Léon
    • Downfall
    • The Prestige
    • Memento
    • Donnie Darko
    • Amelie
    • District 9
    • The Bourne Identity/Supremacy/Ultimatum
    • Inglorious Basterds
    • Serenity

TV Shows
    • Breaking Bad
    • Dexter
    • Firefly
    • Hustle
    • Prison Break
    • Sherlock
    • Arrested Development
    • The Walking Dead
    Thanks! A few of the films you've listed seem like good prospects. Some I've seen far too many times and some I cannot bear to watch again (Hitchhiker's )

I've seen Dexter, Hustle and Arrested Development. Will take some Breaking Bad and Sherlock, though, and check out the rest. This would also be a good time to finally get around to watching Game of Thrones.

There were some comparison screenshots of the Blu-ray versions of Extended Editions and Theatrical editions. The new one, extended editions, looked a bit off-putting. They had this extreme green overlay which makes certain scenes look ridiculous. Like they are taking place inside the Matrix.

But there are other scenes which are so unbelievably gorgeous and sharp. I love blu-ray. :coma:
    I want the extended trilogy on blu-ray so badly! Will probably buy it once the price reduces (unless someone lovely buys it for my birthday), because I have already spent a silly amount on LotR films over the years.

Peter Falk has peacefully passed away. He was fantastic as Columbo, will be missed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)

Haha yeah I did The Two Towers last night :coma:

And I already have Gladiator Blu-Ray lol...is preeeetty

I don't recall this being posted here before, but it says at the end of this article that The Tree of Life is set to release on the 8th of July. The article is a fairly good read as well.

ReputationRep:

I haven't reached my verdict on it as a system yet, tbh.

On the one hand, the quality is undeniably better. On the other, they're too similar to DVDs to merit me re-purchasing films I already have and they don't really feel like a technology that will supersede DVDs for quite some time, if at all.

ReputationRep:
    This looks really promising

Plus Michael Fassbender and Viggo Mortensen are in it :love:

Speaking of Fassbender, I'm just about to watch Fish Tank. I really loved Red Road, so I'm hoping this is good as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Speaking of Fassbender, I'm just about to watch Fish Tank. I really loved Red Road, so I'm hoping this is good as well.
    And I'm about to watch Jane Eyre

ReputationRep:
    Salt = decent action movie ruined by a crap non-ending I really hate movies that end with absolutely nothing being resolved - it's like the production companies are giving you two fingers and saying "give us more money when we make the sequel and we'll tell you what happens".

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.