Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Speaking of Fassbender, I'm just about to watch Fish Tank. I really loved Red Road, so I'm hoping this is good as well.
    Fish Tank was well observed and certainly captured the spirit of area it was trying to portray. That said, I didn't think it was worthy of the rave reviews it had been given.

(Original post by Student2806)
    Salt = decent action movie ruined by a crap non-ending I really hate movies that end with absolutely nothing being resolved - it's like the production companies are giving you two fingers and saying "give us more money when we make the sequel and we'll tell you what happens".
    I can't remember the ending of Salt, except very roughly, but I don't remember there being a particularly gaping plothole left hanging in the balance by the ending? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    I just found this thread . I made a pledge to myself to watch a film every day of the holidays, but I'm behind schedule having only watched Fatal Attraction, Harry Brown and Jumanji

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    I can't remember the ending of Salt, except very roughly, but I don't remember there being a particularly gaping plothole left hanging in the balance by the ending? :beard:
    Yeah there is, probably for an unnecessary sequel like every other film nowadays :facepalm2:

EDIT:

(Original post by Student2806)
    Salt = decent action movie ruined by a crap non-ending I really hate movies that end with absolutely nothing being resolved - it's like the production companies are giving you two fingers and saying "give us more money when we make the sequel and we'll tell you what happens".
    Just saw this lol

There's a bloody Michael Fassbender craze going on right now.

(Original post by zjs)
    I haven't reached my verdict on it as a system yet, tbh.

On the one hand, the quality is undeniably better. On the other, they're too similar to DVDs to merit me re-purchasing films I already have and they don't really feel like a technology that will supersede DVDs for quite some time, if at all.
    They will eventually supersede DVDs. Blu ray players are dirt cheap now as are HD televisions that can display full 1080p. Cloud streaming services and blu ray will become dominant in the future, but I feel cloud streaming will eventually become the norm. We certainly have the technology capable now.

I agree with you in re-purchasing some films, but some really are worth it. I've seen all the Alien films but the Alien blu ray boxset is fantastic since it gives you so many extras as well as fantastic remasters. You'd also buy any new films that come out in blu ray since the quality is so good you don't want to watch it in the rather sub standard quality that DVD offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    They will eventually supersede DVDs. Blu ray players are dirt cheap now as are HD televisions that can display full 1080p. Cloud streaming services and blu ray will become dominant in the future, but I feel cloud streaming will eventually become the norm. We certainly have the technology capable now.

I agree with you in re-purchasing some films, but some really are worth it. I've seen all the Alien films but the Alien blu ray boxset is fantastic since it gives you so many extras as well as fantastic remasters. You'd also buy any new films that come out in blu ray since the quality is so good you don't want to watch it in the rather sub standard quality that DVD offers.
    Dirt cheap seems like somewhat of an understatement? The last time I went and compared prices on them, they were around a few hundred quid each. The same goes for HD televisions. I mean, if you have the money, why not? If however, like me, you're a relatively broke student, then owning any sort of t.v. with the capability of showing blu-ray in all its glory is a hurdle in itself.

I can play blu-rays through the PS3 and have watched them on HD screens, so I can appreciate the crispness that the visuals gain. However, the difference between a DVD and a blu-ray is one of fairly significant cost, especially if you're forced to buy a collection on the cheap in the first place (i.e. I use Computer Exchange and buy secondhand; wherein most DVDs are a great bargain and some are remarkably so, but blu-rays remains elusively expensive).

I know technophiles and film fanatics love blu-ray. I know I'd like blu-rays all the more if I had the capacity to make them my primary method of watching films. But, all that said, I think the cost still makes them inaccessible for the majority, who'll see the benefits we've listed as little improvement, and certainly not worth paying through the nose for.

(Original post by zjs)
    Dirt cheap seems like somewhat of an understatement? The last time I went and compared prices on them, they were around a few hundred quid each. The same goes for HD televisions. I mean, if you have the money, why not? If however, like me, you're a relatively broke student, then owning any sort of t.v. with the capability of showing blu-ray in all its glory is a hurdle in itself.

I can play blu-rays through the PS3 and have watched them on HD screens, so I can appreciate the crispness that the visuals gain. However, the difference between a DVD and a blu-ray is one of fairly significant cost, especially if you're forced to buy a collection on the cheap in the first place (i.e. I use Computer Exchange and buy secondhand; wherein most DVDs are a great bargain and some are remarkably so, but blu-rays remains elusively expensive).

I know technophiles and film fanatics love blu-ray. I know I'd like blu-rays all the more if I had the capacity to make them my primary method of watching films. But, all that said, I think the cost still makes them inaccessible for the majority, who'll see the benefits we've listed as little improvement, and certainly not worth paying through the nose for.
    Okay, not dirt cheap, but still very cheap. Keep in mind that 3D TV's were introduced last year to the mainstream at prices of £1,000 upwards and are now falling to prices like £500. HD TV's are cheap compared to when they first released, and my dad got a brilliant Sony blu ray player off Amazon for £99 (granted it was in a sale in January). True, a lot of students may not be able to afford such things, but the general public now can. VHS was expensive when it was introduced as was DVD. Blu ray prices are now falling and they will keep falling which will then eventually reach the current stage of DVDs. It will only be a matter of time.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, not dirt cheap, but still very cheap. Keep in mind that 3D TV's were introduced last year to the mainstream at prices of £1,000 upwards and are now falling to prices like £500. HD TV's are cheap compared to when they first released, and my dad got a brilliant Sony blu ray player off Amazon for £99 (granted it was in a sale in January). True, a lot of students may not be able to afford such things, but the general public now can. VHS was expensive when it was introduced as was DVD. Blu ray prices are now falling and they will keep falling which will then eventually reach the current stage of DVDs. It will only be a matter of time.
    Perhaps broke student was too much of an extreme. My point was more than someone on an average-ish income, and who isn't a technophile, is probably quite unlikely to splash out several hundred on the blu-ray player (unless they're lucky enough to pick one up in a sale too) for the - perhaps somewhat dubious - honour of replacing many of their, perfectly serviceable and long-lasting, DVD collection.

Although I agree that its price and its popularity are at opposite ends of a scale, and as one drops, the other increases, I'm still not sure it will saturate the market. VHS to DVD was a big change. People didn't have to rewind films, worry about spools of tape coming lose or chunky video boxes. They had the far superior quality of DVDs too, sure, but also a completely new technology. People with films on VHS got them again on DVD because they thought it was worthwhile and the VHS system would become quickly outdated. While the same may, eventually, happen with blu-rays, I don't see people viewing DVDs is a system that will just become obsolete, as VHS eventually did.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zjs)
    I don't see people viewing DVDs is a system that will just become obsolete, as VHS eventually did.
    Indeed. DVDs and BluRays look identical; for most people, this wouldn't warrant enough of a change for them to switch. Frankly, most people don't care about the differences and are ignorant about any besides. People also don't see the point of buying a whole new system. If something else were released - something more compact, less susceptible to scratches, etc. I think people would be more keen.

Pixar's first 'not so good' film critically, Cars 2. RT, 34% and Metacritic, 58. I know a lot of people were fans of the first film, but Cars struck me as the least inspiring or interesting Pixar film. So now we have two original titles (Brave and Untitled) and a prequel, Monster University to look forward to.

Kung Fu Panda 2 looks promising. Also Winnie the Pooh came out 2 months ago and not a single mention on the forums. I'm guessing that is the age it's aimed at. I don't think I would have went to see it but the animation looked good. :K:

(Original post by zjs)
    Perhaps broke student was too much of an extreme. My point was more than someone on an average-ish income, and who isn't a technophile, is probably quite unlikely to splash out several hundred on the blu-ray player (unless they're lucky enough to pick one up in a sale too) for the - perhaps somewhat dubious - honour of replacing many of their, perfectly serviceable and long-lasting, DVD collection.

Although I agree that its price and its popularity are at opposite ends of a scale, and as one drops, the other increases, I'm still not sure it will saturate the market. VHS to DVD was a big change. People didn't have to rewind films, worry about spools of tape coming lose or chunky video boxes. They had the far superior quality of DVDs too, sure, but also a completely new technology. People with films on VHS got them again on DVD because they thought it was worthwhile and the VHS system would become quickly outdated. While the same may, eventually, happen with blu-rays, I don't see people viewing DVDs is a system that will just become obsolete, as VHS eventually did.
    That's true, but remember the world as a whole is a lot more aware about technology now than they were back in the 90s when it was really starting to grow rapidly. Apple have been a major force in that, I'd say, so you do still see people buying blu ray equipment and HD TV's (and some stupidly buying 3D TV's).

I see it as happening in two ways. HD TV's become cheap (which they already are if you don't go for one of the top range ones), blu ray devices become cheap where people start to buy them in the same way they purchased DVD players which will then phase out DVDs, making the blu ray the dominant player because of the storage capacity and image quality it offers. Personally, I think cloud streaming will become the huge thing. We're already seeing it, Spotify is growing bigger, Netflix is very popular in America (as well as very good) and most technology firms are starting to adapt it, with the most recent and most obvious example being Apple with their new cloud service. When it comes down to it, the physical collection isn't really that important. Sure, it is nice, but in the same way that downloads for music is now bigger than buying a CD, it's more about the content. I do hope we get something like Netflix in the UK, the Lovefilm streaming is woeful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Pixar's first 'not so good' film critically, Cars 2. RT, 34% and Metacritic, 58. I know a lot of people were fans of the first film, but Cars struck me as the least inspiring or interesting Pixar film. So now we have two original titles (Brave and Untitled) and a prequel, Monster University to look forward to.

Kung Fu Panda 2 looks promising. Also Winnie the Pooh came out 2 months ago and not a single mention on the forums. I'm guessing that is the age it's aimed at. I don't think I would have went to see it but the animation looked good. :K:
    "Would have went"? :dry:

I thought the original Cars was much better than Wall-E. :dontknow:

That's true, but remember the world as a whole is a lot more aware about technology now than they were back in the 90s when it was really starting to grow rapidly. Apple have been a major force in that, I'd say, so you do still see people buying blu ray equipment and HD TV's (and some stupidly buying 3D TV's).

I see it as happening in two ways. HD TV's become cheap (which they already are if you don't go for one of the top range ones), blu ray devices become cheap where people start to buy them in the same way they purchased DVD players which will then phase out DVDs, making the blu ray the dominant player because of the storage capacity and image quality it offers. Personally, I think cloud streaming will become the huge thing. We're already seeing it, Spotify is growing bigger, Netflix is very popular in America (as well as very good) and most technology firms are starting to adapt it, with the most recent and most obvious example being Apple with their new cloud service. When it comes down to it, the physical collection isn't really that important. Sure, it is nice, but in the same way that downloads for music is now bigger than buying a CD, it's more about the content. I do hope we get something like Netflix in the UK, the Lovefilm streaming is woeful.
    Perhaps you're right. I suppose with people's ever-growing access to fast broadband and proficiency with computers, hard copies will start to become a thing of the past. Really I'm going on the situation as it is at the minute; with the fact that DVDs themselves are useful for journeys and other places without the internet, if not because watching a crap online copy can detract from the experience. Really, it's just because I don't see people paying to replace what they already have, but for the perk of better quality. Especially those with large collections and less money.

(Original post by punctuation)
    Indeed. DVDs and BluRays look identical; for most people, this wouldn't warrant enough of a change for them to switch. Frankly, most people don't care about the differences and are ignorant about any besides. People also don't see the point of buying a whole new system. If something else were released - something more compact, less susceptible to scratches, etc. I think people would be more keen.
    I think this is it, in a nutshell.

(Original post by zjs)
    Fish Tank was well observed and certainly captured the spirit of area it was trying to portray. That said, I didn't think it was worthy of the rave reviews it had been given.
    Yeah, I sort of agree. I liked it, but I liked Red Road more. Then again, I would say that Red Road deserved more acclaim than it did - I suppose it might be a bit like the Reservoir Dogs-Pulp Fiction discrepancy, with the latter gaining rave reviews after Tarantino had already come into the limelight.

I didn't think Katie Jarvis was all that, tbh. She was good, but not exceptional.

Pixar's first 'not so good' film critically, Cars 2. RT, 34% and Metacritic, 58.
    I saw and didn't think much of the trailer when I went to see X-Men: First Class, but I was still pretty shocked when I opened Metacritic the other day and saw a 52 rating. Does Pixar have anything exciting coming out this year? It seems this might be a good opportunity for other studios to grab an Oscar for Best Animated Feature for the first time since 2006.

ReputationRep:
    Also Winnie the Pooh came out 2 months ago and not a single mention on the forums. I'm guessing that is the age it's aimed at. I don't think I would have went to see it but the animation looked good. :K:
    Is it just me or has it had very very little advertisement? I'd have thought they'd had overwhelmed us with advertisements for it. Perhaps the adverts were in between kid's shows or something.

ReputationRep:
    Fck how hot is it today, madness

Really want to get Source Code on DVD, tis awesome

A heads up for the new August edition of Empire.

So in honour of Jackson’s long-awaited return to Middle-earth for two dragon-and-dwarf-laden prequels — as a “good luck charm” according the director — Empire takes its symbolic and rightful place as the first magazine in the world to put The Hobbit on its cover. A resplendent ‘younger’ Gandalf the Grey (look closely for subtle differences in costume from his 60-year older Rings self) taking centre stage alongside the first look at Martin Freeman’s Bilbo Baggins (keep your eyes peeled for a hint or two of dwarf in the issue).

Personally invited onto the set barely a month into production, Empire delightedly watched a film — two films — already in full swing. Thirteen cantankerous dwarves, one barely tolerant wizard, and a befuddled hobbit are seen arriving at the gates of Rivendell and sneered at by local elves. Jackson assures us he is once again reaching for the mighty spectacle of Lord Of The Rings, but also bringing a certain ‘Hobbity-ness’ all its own. “The tone is actually the part of it I’m enjoying the most,” he laughs, casting a fond eye upon his rabble of exotic dwarves, clattering about set like they own the place. “They have a healthy disregard for the icons of Middle-earth.”

For the full story see the August issue of Empire out on June 30.

(Original post by zjs)
    No, as the films thus far have been so tired and cliche-ridden that they weren't even entertaining.
    The first one was mediocre, but not terrible for a summer blockbuster. The second one was a steaming pile of turd left out in the sun too long.

(Original post by JessicaW)
    Thanks! A few of the films you've listed seem like good prospects. Some I've seen far too many times and some I cannot bear to watch again (Hitchhiker's )

I've seen Dexter, Hustle and Arrested Development. Will take some Breaking Bad and Sherlock, though, and check out the rest. This would also be a good time to finally get around to watching Game of Thrones.

I want the extended trilogy on blu-ray so badly! Will probably buy it once the price reduces (unless someone lovely buys it for my birthday), because I have already spent a silly amount on LotR films over the years.
    I'm the opposite. Not a patch on the Douglas Adams books, but I really liked the film and Stephen Fry as the narrator/Guide. Game of Thrones is a truly brilliant show.

Worth the money tbh. I'm just waiting for the day all 5 films are out as blu-ray extended editions. :coma:

(Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Is it just me or has it had very very little advertisement? I'd have thought they'd had overwhelmed us with advertisements for it. Perhaps the adverts were in between kid's shows or something.
    I have literally seen nothing on Television about it. Not one advert. Shame really.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    I saw and didn't think much of the trailer when I went to see X-Men: First Class, but I was still pretty shocked when I opened Metacritic the other day and saw a 52 rating. Does Pixar have anything exciting coming out this year? It seems this might be a good opportunity for other studios to grab an Oscar for Best Animated Feature for the first time since 2006.
    Nothing this year, nope. I think they should stay away from sequels (exception being Toy Story) and work on more original titles. I think The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn might have a good chance at Best Animated Feature if it turns out to be good.

I seen this the other day about Pixar and Dreamworks and had a good chuckle:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    The first one was mediocre, but not terrible for a summer blockbuster. The second one was a steaming pile of turd left out in the sun too long.
    Thought they were both mind-numbingly cliched and devoid of any real plot or purpose.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yokel diction aside, that picture was excellent. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Jurassic Park is just so beautiful :emo:

Those films are ones I'd buy on Blu Ray, no question.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    LOL that's amazing!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.