Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sucker Punch is getting pretty bad reviews. Guess people are finally cottoning on to Zack Snyder. :awesome:

(Original post by cambo211)
    Am I the only one who really struggles to watch films on ITV/Channel 4/any other channel with adverts?
    Do you mean with breaks for advertisements? I hate it when channels do that.

Or do you mean with adverts in the corner/at the bottom? I dislike that as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Wow, that's slightly surprising. I mean, Tim Burton as director with Ewan McGregor and Bonham Carter. Thought that would have been on your radar. It's a good film. Similar to Forrest Gump with a dash of fantasy.
    Yep, they're all people I really like. I'm pretty excited about seeing it now, thanks for telling me about it!

The biggest stumbling block I have at the minute for this binge seems to be finding a cheap version of Venus. For a film that's only five years old with two very talented actors and an Oscar nomination it seems so bloody obscure.

(Original post by cambo211)
    Am I the only one who really struggles to watch films on ITV/Channel 4/any other channel with adverts?
    Yeah, I usually record them and then fast forward through, but it still doesn't exactly help the immersion. The only films I really consider watching with ad breaks now are the docs More 4 sometimes shows, because they're really good and nowhere else shows them.

(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Yes.

Saw Death Race the other day on channel 5... Lol JasonStatham
    I really enjoyed Death Race, it was completely stupid but a lot of fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Sucker Punch is getting pretty bad reviews. Guess people are finally cottoning on to Zack Snyder. :awesome:
    It's pretty silly, people find faults in every film but yeah I've seen people on online forums accusing it of uber feminism and ushering some high feminist agenda on movie going audiences, sexualisation and objectification of women, criticising it for not having a male hero, it just goes on and on and on

people should take a movie for what it is, reading that far into it, you'll always find something wrong and hate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    The biggest stumbling block I have at the minute for this binge seems to be finding a cheap version of Venus. For a film that's only five years old with two very talented actors and an Oscar nomination it seems so bloody obscure.
    It's available for rental on LOVEFiLM, why not sign up for the free trial, order it, watch it, then cancel your 'membership' before the free period runs out and you have to start paying anything. :rolleyes:

I'd like to watch something today, not sure what...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    It's available for rental on LOVEFiLM, why not sign up for the free trial, order it, watch it, then cancel your 'membership' before the free period runs out and you have to start paying anything. :rolleyes:
    Don't you have to have a shortlist of films though and get one sent out from that list, rather than just picking the one you want? I tried it once years ago and remember that happening a lot.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    I'd like to watch something today, not sure what...
    Watch Big Fish, then we can compare notes. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Also everyone remember to do an Inception review for the reviewing competition!

And if anyone fancies doing a bit of reading take a look at this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1564587 - it would be great to get a few more votes.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha found the name of that film 'Battle for Terra', the plot and all is awfully similar to a very popular successful film, I needn't say anymore but yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    It's pretty silly, people find faults in every film but yeah I've seen people on online forums accusing it of uber feminism and ushering some high feminist agenda on movie going audiences, sexualisation and objectification of women, criticising it for not having a male hero, it just goes on and on and on

people should take a movie for what it is, reading that far into it, you'll always find something wrong and hate it

Most of the criticism I've seen has been that Snyder basically focuses on visual flair and style over everything else, leaving the audience with a very pretty, but ultimately insubstantial film. I haven't seen Sucker Punch, but based on his past work, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. I don't really rate him.

ReputationRep:
    Pfaagh, Jurassic Park lost to Metropolis.

ReputationRep:
    Crap, I forgot about the Inception review comp :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Crap, I forgot about the Inception review comp :facepalm:
    Still 3 days left!

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to watch Interview With the Vampire Will let you guys know what I think of it afterwards...

I've decided it's probably best that I don't enter the Inception review competition. I realise I've had ages to write it, but I always do stuff at the last minute, and I didn't realise the deadline would be when I was on holiday Oh well... I'll enter the next one, I promise!

ReputationRep:
    ANOTHER ROUND OF io9 scifi voting is open!

(Original post by channy)
    Pfaagh, Jurassic Park lost to Metropolis.
    So tough. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't watched a film in a long time! Going to definitely watch something, not sure what yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    So tough. :sad:
    Okay, as a long time fan of Star Wars, I'm happy to say that I'm voting for both Alien and Aliens. If there's anything at all I can do about it, it will not come down to Star Wars v Empire Strikes Back.

Of those that are left, I'd go for Serenity, Aliens or Blade Runner.
    (Original post by The Stig)
    Haven't watched a film in a long time! Going to definitely watch something, not sure what yet

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    Of those that are left, I'd go for Serenity
    Toughest decision of my life but I went with Back to the Future. Sorry, man. :moon:

Watched Paul. Agree with the consensus that it's not up to par with Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz (Edgar Wright films). Still eagerly anticipating the third film in the Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy, 'The World's End'.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.