Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

(Original post by Aj12)
    I know but its just not the same. So many things could have been done better with the trilogy tbh.

http://blastr.com/2011/03/producer-reveals-there-wi.php

Speaking of which there are plans for an X4 and an X5
    The Last Stand was a piss poor film. The Dark Phoenix was an interesting concept but they didn't even play to it much. They recruited her and she got a few seconds near the end. There should have been much more focus on that and no clash with another plot thread (the mutant cure). I thought the second film was the strongest in the trilogy.

Did The Core make you hot and thirsty?

(Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I love you Ape Gone Insane, as does any other sane TSR-user, but I can't disagree with you more

EDIT: Though her new film; 'The help' shows promise
    Oh. :holmes:

My infatuation must be clouding my judgement then.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    The Last Stand was a piss poor film. The Dark Phoenix was an interesting concept but they didn't even play to it much. They recruited her and she got a few seconds near the end. There should have been much more focus on that and no clash with another plot thread (the mutant cure). I thought the second film was the strongest in the trilogy.

Did The Core make you hot and thirsty?

Oh. :holmes:

My infatuation must be clouding my judgement then.
    Such an awful film, I heard a group of scientists raged about how inaccurate it is, and formed a group to promote scientific realism in films or something like that.

I watched the second X men film as well last night, I agree it is the strongest Ithink. Makes you realize how much they just abandoned the Wolverine plot line in the third film.

ReputationRep:
    The Deathly Hallows: Part II was better than I expected. The acting left a lot less to be desired than in previous instalments and it worked out very well as an addendum to the previous film; with the right mix of action and suspense. It was definitely worth The Deathly Hallows Part: I to tee it up, though it has to be said that the film would make absolutely no sense whatsoever if you hadn't read the book or seen the previous instalment.

The biggest niggle, for me, was the "19 years later" epilogue. In the books, it rounds things off nicely with a good happy ending (though, was it mentioned in the books as to why, exactly, it was a nineteen year gap? I've forgotten if it did), where you're left to imagine the aged Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione and their children. The film, however, looked like they hadn't bothered to allocate any of the budget to actually making the actors look older. Radcliffe came the closest of the four, with a 'stock middle aged man' side-parting and what looked like the start of a beard, but really, he still looked like he'd aged less than about five years. Bonnie Wright (Ginny) and Emma Watson were just dressed to look like middle aged women, while absolutely no effort at all was made to make Rupert Grint look any older. Tom Felton at least managed to age Draco a bit with a creepy-ish goatee. It's not a major thing, I just don't really understand why make-up (seemingly) wasn't brought in, and the costume department relied on completely. Given that they're all supposed to look around 36/37, fielding four actors who look like they're 21 at a push isn't the most convincing.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    In fairness I remember thinking that SBC was going to be a trainwreck in Sweeney Todd after seeing its trailer, but he was very enjoyable in it. Maybe he just comes across badly in trailers?
    I suppose that's possible. He just looked distinctly unfunny for what seems to be an intended comedic character. Also, the scenes shown in the trailer (particularly Baron-Cohen going into the cake) had a level of cheesiness I wouldn't have expected from Scorsese. It's obviously new ground for him, but I hope the film is better than the trailer - and I do think there's potential for it to be; there's an air of mystery and secretiveness that I can see Scorsese working with pretty well. But there's also cheesiness and clichés that could undo it imo.

ReputationRep:
    The first official trailer for The Thing (sorry if it's been posted before!)

It's a prequel to the original, should be interesting.

ReputationRep:
    The Sunday Times and iTunes are giving away Man On Wire today, which is a rather excellent film: www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/tightrope

ReputationRep:
    How did Josh Brolin get top billing in True Grit, despite being on screen for barely 15 minutes, whilst Hailee Steinfeld, around who the entire plot revolves, didn't

ReputationRep:
    I quite wanna see Hobo with a shotgun, looks fairly good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    How did Josh Brolin get top billing in True Grit, despite being on screen for barely 15 minutes, whilst Hailee Steinfeld, around who the entire plot revolves, didn't
    His name sells more tickets :rolleyes:

I finally watched An Education today, and really enjoyed it. I thought it was well made, very well acted and had a very good array of emotions. Nick Hornby should do more scripts. And Carey Mulligan was brilliant!

I'm now very hyped up for Shame. :excited:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here seen Tristan + Isolde and is it any good?

Really enjoyed the HP film. I've never cried or felt tearful during any film but Snape's memories sure as hell brought me close at times. The music in the film was perfect as was nostalgic track from the first film. Apart from the obvious differences and liberties taken from the narrative in the book, which I was expecting, I'm really happy with the job that they done. The special effects were top notch and there were some really epic moments within the film.

My friend hasn't read the books (shock horror), and despite it seeming incomprehensible to all but the book readers, she said she understood it fine.

My only dislike is the Voldemort scene. I wanted celebration and I wanted it to happen in front of everyone. That was a little disappointing. Anyway, the end of an era. :moon:

Something that irritates me beyond belief. People who sit in a cinema and open their bags of crisps (at the start too), make loud noises and munch (CRUNCH) their way through all the dialogue and emotional scenes. CAN YOU NOT EAT BEFORE YOU SEE THE FILM?

God. That pissed me off.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the first three HP films in two days (that's right, I've never seen them before) - Got another four to go and then I'm off to the imax to watch the final one sometime midweek

Also watched 'West is West' and 'I Love You Man' last week. Both were alright, nothing special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    My only dislike is the Voldemort scene. I wanted celebration and I wanted it to happen in front of everyone. That was a little disappointing. Anyway, the end of an era. :moon:
    My only gripe was the fact that the 'killer blow' was delivered to Voldemort with nobody watching. And then no jubilation afterwards.

I did however, enjoy the addition of him turning into a sort of ashy mess. It was almost as though he had already been dead inside for some time and this was just the final layer of his life being stripped away.

ReputationRep:
    Snape, or rather Alan Rickman, was by far the best thing about HP7.2. Neville was pretty badass too.

On a completely different note, does anyone know any films or documentaries about cycling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Snape, or rather Alan Rickman, was by far the best thing about HP7.2. Neville was pretty badass too.

On a completely different note, does anyone know any films or documentaries about cycling?
    It's a TV show, but check out The Man Who Cycled The World if you can. The same guy also did a program that I think was called The Man Who Cycled The Americas.

And in terms of films there's The Flying Scotsman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    It's a TV show, but check out The Man Who Cycled The World if you can. The same guy also did a program that I think was called The Man Who Cycled The Americas.

And in terms of films there's The Flying Scotsman.
    Ahh, I've seen The Flying Scotsman. I couldn't remember the title though. Shame there's not more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Ahh, I've seen The Flying Scotsman. I couldn't remember the title though. Shame there's not more.
    There's also:

• Hell on Wheels - record of the Tour de France from the German team's perspective

• Cyclomania - bicycle messengers in Helsinki who try and qualify for the Finnish championships

• The Amateur - a man determined to break the World Record for the longest bike ride (Argentinian film)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    There's also:

• Hell on Wheels - record of the Tour de France from the German team's perspective

• Cyclomania - bicycle messengers in Helsinki who try and qualify for the Finnish championships

• The Amateur - a man determined to break the World Record for the longest bike ride (Argentinian film)
    Oh nice! Thanks a lot. Will definitely check those out.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.