Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Parody films. Well, I used to like them but Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie and Vampires Suck have turned me cold.
    I really tried to watch them and attempt to indulge. But: Date Movie?? Meet the Spartans? I though Twilight was bad - but Vampires Suck? :s

It's almost as if they are trying to ruin the viewing experience....
    All in all I'm glad I'm not the only one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)

Look at this The_41-Year-Old_Virgin_Who_Knocked_Up_Sarah_ Marshall_And_Felt_Superbad_About _It
    Hahahha That actually made me laugh ;D

ReputationRep:
    "I feel like something's bad coming my way.. like seeing an asian person driving a car"

Scary movie 3 - watching now. Charlie Sheen being in it just makes it awesome again, retro-winning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sashari)
    Is there a type of films any of you particularly dislike? I can't stand 'dumb comedies' or the piss take films. They annoy me to the bone!
    Romcoms generally... don't watch too many of them - also period dramas, so boring

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Watch Big Fish, then we can compare notes. :teeth:
    No go, unfortunately - I can't really go out and get new movies at the moment, so it'll have to be something I already have. Tell me if you think it's a must-watch, and I'll try and see it shortly.

I might watch Metropolis, I've been looking forward to that for quite some time now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    No go, unfortunately - I can't really go out and get new movies at the moment, so it'll have to be something I already have. Tell me if you think it's a must-watch, and I'll try and see it shortly.

I might watch Metropolis, I've been looking forward to that for quite some time now...
    The first 30-45 minutes is incredibly dull, largely because it's really unengaging. However, if you stick with it then after about an hour it morphs into something really quite touching. I wouldn't describe it as must-watch - it's not built as thoroughly or as well as Forrest Gump - but in it's own small way it feels more personal. It's probably worth checking out if you've got the time and the inclination.

One thing I found particularly sweet was how different actors play the characters at different ages except for Helena Bonham Carter; it's as if Burton can't imagine her any different to how she is now.

ReputationRep:
    Natalie Portman's in like 4... major films this year if you count Black Swan as this year too, Thor is gonna be great

Also, anyone with a twitter. let's follow each other and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Natalie Portman's in like 4... major films this year if you count Black Swan as this year too, Thor is gonna be great

OK yes she is BUT two of them are gonna be crap...

Black Swan was amazing - that's a given.
    Thor might be quite good or a complete waste of time...hopefully good.
    No Strings Attached = URGH (btw so weird she and Mila Kunis, both just having given brilliant performances in Black Swan, have gone on to make No Strings Attached and Friends With Benefits respectively...)
    Your Highness do I need to actually do this? OK I will: :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I gots me a twitter!

http://twitter.com/AmyJAndrews

I follow everyone back. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Phalanges)
    The first 30-45 minutes is incredibly dull, largely because it's really unengaging. However, if you stick with it then after about an hour it morphs into something really quite touching. I wouldn't describe it as must-watch - it's not built as thoroughly or as well as Forrest Gump - but in it's own small way it feels more personal. It's probably worth checking out if you've got the time and the inclination.

One thing I found particularly sweet was how different actors play the characters at different ages except for Helena Bonham Carter; it's as if Burton can't imagine her any different to how she is now.
    Hmmm, sounds quite interesting - I'll have to check it out sometime.

I watched Metropolis today, and really liked it. The plot was quite good, though I thought the ending was a bit dodgy, but what really struck me was the techniques they used to convey the fundamentals of each scene: I though the superimpositions and symbolism both worked well to accentuate the tone of the movie. I haven't really watched many old movies (this is easily the oldest I've ever seen), so perhaps I should and try to figure how much of a technical landmark this was in film-making...

EDIT: Wrt Natalie Portman, isn't Hesher also out this year? That could well be a very good movie...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)

No Strings Attached = URGH (btw so weird she and Mila Kunis, both just having given brilliant performances in Black Swan, have gone on to make No Strings Attached and Friends With Benefits respectively...)
    hmm yeah fair enough, Your Highness looks like one of those bad films.... like The princess bridge but James Franco playing a medieval knight... lol I want to see that

No Strings attached, I haven't seen yet but I will for obvious reasons.. may be one of her most active film years in... years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)

hmm yeah fair enough, Your Highness looks like one of those bad films.... like The princess bridge but James Franco playing a medieval knight... lol I want to see that

No Strings attached, I haven't seen yet but I will for obvious reasons.. may be one of her most active film years in... years

and will do Aja

and will do Aja
    You know, you could just have edited your first post.

ReputationRep:
    You know, you could just have edited your first post.
    yeah, double posts... :rolleyes:

Today's kinda chilled.. not as hot and sunny as last saturday unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen Black Swan yet, but I'm guessing it was a good film 'cause of the Oscars and stuff...

Thor will probably be one of the most popular superhero/comic book films of the year. If the trailer's anything to go by, they've got a pretty strong plot and put the fight and action scenes only where needed...

I thought No Strings Attached was ok, but it looks like Friends With Benefits will have an altogether funnier cast...

Your Highness looks like a mediocre Comedy: enjoyable, but not Award-Winning...

Watching Ladyhawke on Film4- Love the soundtrack :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    The only superhero film i'm interested in this year is X-Men.

ReputationRep:
    This is a promising idea for a film: http://www.monstersandcritics.com/mo...s-light-on-OCD

I think with OCD is that it is well known however at the same time hardly anyone knows what it actually is. Most people associate OCD with ''oh he's so OCD he arranges everything in a straight line'' or ''I just cleaned my room I'm so OCD!'' - In reality and for people who suffer it is incredibly serious and lot more sinister and life effecting than just that. According to statistics a great deal of people suffer from it, however it's not really highlighted much in the media tv/ films etc

While I'm going to give money for it I really don't expect anything to come of it. I hope it does, however.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, sounds quite interesting - I'll have to check it out sometime.

I watched Metropolis today, and really liked it. The plot was quite good, though I thought the ending was a bit dodgy, but what really struck me was the techniques they used to convey the fundamentals of each scene: I though the superimpositions and symbolism both worked well to accentuate the tone of the movie. I haven't really watched many old movies (this is easily the oldest I've ever seen), so perhaps I should and try to figure how much of a technical landmark this was in film-making...

EDIT: Wrt Natalie Portman, isn't Hesher also out this year? That could well be a very good movie...
    Metropolis lost to Jurassic Park, what a ****ing tragedy.

Also everyone needs to get into Japanese cinema, it's godly. Quite tempted to make a World Cinema (and Music?) soc at uni, not sure how popular it'd be though, as there are already two film socs already.

(Original post by channy)
    Metropolis lost to Jurassic Park, what a ****ing tragedy.
    :eek: That's shocking.

Also everyone needs to get into Japanese cinema, it's godly. Quite tempted to make a World Cinema (and Music?) soc at uni, not sure how popular it'd be though, as there are already two film socs already.
    Any particular movies/directors/actors you'd recommend?

Which version of Blade Runner is the most superior and watchable version?

I'd go with Final Cut, hate the voiceover in Theatrical. Tempted to go watch the final cut now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.