Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    The deciding factor will be how long it stays in the cinemas, I can't remember the exact figures but I remember Avatar hanging around like a bad smell for flipping months. (I hated Avatar). Depends on the plans for the DVD release I guess?
    Hated it is quite strong; care to explain? :holmes:

I thought Avatar was hugely overrated. The entire concept was very much like something that'd been done before and the plotline was cliched and a bit on the dull side. That said, the CGI and the world created were excellent, and I can see a sequel actually improving on it, by not having to devote its plot to "getting in with 'the natives'".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    Hated it is quite strong; care to explain? :holmes:
    It was just Pocahontas with big blue people. I can't stand 3D so that was never going to help me enjoy it, and also science-fiction is probably at the bottom of my list when it comes to genres. I can see why people loved it, but it was basically everything that I dislike in cinema wrapped up in one film!

And I've started to very much dislike James Cameron, every time I've seen an interview with him since Avatar it's almost as if he's become the Bono of cinema. I took a sadistic pleasure in watching him get less and less smug as each Oscar went to The Hurt Locker.

ReputationRep:

:teeth:

(Original post by aja89)
    The deciding factor will be how long it stays in the cinemas, I can't remember the exact figures but I remember Avatar hanging around like a bad smell for flipping months. (I hated Avatar). Depends on the plans for the DVD release I guess?
    It even got re-released at one point IIRC.

DVD and blu-ray sales are going to be massive. Wonder what deleted scenes they'll have. Or better, what extra features. Maybe something they've collected from over the 8 films? :teeth:

(Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)

:teeth:
    Batman looks exhausted. Now the internet will spend the next few months debating whether it's a very still henchman holding a weapon or a mannequin in a suit in the background. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    atman looks exhausted. Now the internet will spend the next few months debating whether it's a very still henchman holding a weapon or a mannequin in a suit in the background. :holmes:
    Clearly Han Solo, tbh.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    About to settle down to watch all 3 Lord of the Rings extended.

*checks if I have actually joined the film society*

Yes I have, I now feel that my posting here is legit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    About to settle down to watch all 3 Lord of the Rings extended.

*checks if I have actually joined the film society*

Yes I have, I now feel that my posting here is legit
    However settled you are, your eyes will most likely bleed if you choose to watch them back to back.

I must admit, I wasn't all that keen on the one extended edition I watched. Admittedly, it was in my first year of university and I was fairly intoxicated, but the film seemed to drag on for an extortionate amount of time. Don't get me wrong, I love the LotRs films, but three and a half hours is plenty. I think the one I saw was the extended Two Towers; whichever one featured a drinking contest, either way. The extra half an hour of stuff felt very missable, and watching it only made me less interested in the storyline.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by zjs)
    However settled you are, your eyes will most likely bleed if you choose to watch them back to back.

I must admit, I wasn't all that keen on the one extended edition I watched. Admittedly, it was in my first year of university and I was fairly intoxicated, but the film seemed to drag on for an extortionate amount of time. Don't get me wrong, I love the LotRs films, but three and a half hours is plenty. I think the one I saw was the extended Two Towers; whichever one featured a drinking contest, either way. The extra half an hour of stuff felt very missable, and watching it only made me less interested in the storyline.

I think I can manage two. I doubt I could watch the third one on top though.

Return of the King really dragged, it was good but then after Aragon is crowned it just kept going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

I think I can manage two. I doubt I could watch the third one on top though.

Return of the King really dragged, it was good but then after Aragon is crowned it just kept going.
    I don't usually get fidgety, restless or distracted during films. I can pretty much concentrate for the entire duration, with the odd movement to revive the arse when it's gone numb, or to adjust my legs. One LotR film is as much as I can really take in a sitting though, as beyond that I stop concentrating and start fast-forwarding to the fight sequences.

How long are the extended Fellowship and Two Towers; around 8 hours? :beard:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by zjs)
    I don't usually get fidgety, restless or distracted during films. I can pretty much concentrate for the entire duration, with the odd movement to revive the arse when it's gone numb, or to adjust my legs. One LotR film is as much as I can really take in a sitting though, as beyond that I stop concentrating and start fast-forwarding to the fight sequences.

How long are the extended Fellowship and Two Towers; around 8 hours? :beard:
    The fellow ship is 3 and a half hours roughly

The two towers is over 4 hours lol.

lol long night
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Quick que are they makng one hobbit film or more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well, it's a two-parter: one released in December 2012 and the next in December 2013.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Two. An Unexpected Journey and There and Back Again, to be released December 2012 and 2013 respectively.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by zjs)
    Well, it's a two-parter: one released in December 2012 and the next in December 2013.
    gdgd did't seem like they would be able to fit it all into one film. Lotr has always been good to the books within reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    It's ages since I read His Dark Materials :moon: I think The Amber Spyglass is my favourite, but as I say, it's been a while.
    Same, they were brilliant books. I should go back to them some time.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I feel, HBP and Chamber of Secrets being the darkest books.
    Really? I always thought that the political themes of Order of the Phoenix made it one of the most ambitious and darkest of the series.

ReputationRep:
    Avengers trailer has leaked. Predictably bad bootleg:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50435

Edit: Amazing Spider-man too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aCfo84rSVA

ReputationRep:
    Just a few thoughts about the 'The Thing' trailer (I think someone has already posted it) - while it looks pretty good, it does raise a few questions - in the trailer the group is shown to be international and English speaking, yet in the original film the guy-who-tries-to-shoot-the-dog can only speak to then in Norwegian and all the documents found in the destroyed base are written in Norwegian (although they could have been copies made for the presumably Norwegian person who commissioned the research I suppose).

Am I missing something or have they had to alter it a bit to make it marketable? (I guess foreign language films generally don't sell as well in English speaking countries)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christien)
    Avengers trailer has leaked. Predictably bad bootleg:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50435
    Meh really nothing about storyline or anything, was hoping for more but still looks good I think!

(Original post by Christien)
    Edit: Amazing Spider-man too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aCfo84rSVA
    Awesome I see we got a bit of Mirror's Edge at the end there too...

ReputationRep:
    Better quality teaser trailer of the Dark Knight Rises: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2054374751994

I just watched Kick Ass because of this thread. I thought it was quite good.

(Original post by Aj12)
    gdgd did't seem like they would be able to fit it all into one film. Lotr has always been good to the books within reason
    I reckon they could fit it into one film but not with all the extra stuff Jackson is adding (White Council and Dol Guldur). I mean, according to Del Toro and since Jackson is probably not re-doing the entire plan, Part 1 ends with Smaug's defeat which only leaves a few chapters for Part 2.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Really? I always thought that the political themes of Order of the Phoenix made it one of the most ambitious and darkest of the series.
    Deathly Hallows had far darker political themes with the Nazi state, Voldemort's rise to power in the political sense by infiltrating and completely overcoming the Ministry, the 'Gestapo' like Snatchers, Magic is Might, the Undesirables, and the systematic hunting down of Muggleborns as well the merciless killing of Muggles and anything related to them.

Order of the Phoenix had a nasty woman, sensationalist Daily Mail Prophet headlines and most of the world not believing Harry because Fudge couldn't hack the thought of Voldemort returning.

Chamber of Secrets for one had an ancient and mythical monster stealthily navigating an old castle in attempts to kill off students and managing to freeze them in some spooky statute-esque state. The entire mythos concerning the Chamber, Tom Riddle and the monster was much darker than anything in the series. Apart from, well, the Horcruxes.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.