Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Empire gave it a good review. And it has Daniel Craig and Sam Rockwell and Harrison Ford, also directed by that guy from Couples Retreat.

Nothing there hints at failure.
    Keep Rockwell out of this...

(Original post by TFletcher)
    Just in case you haven't seen it, I've been using this site for tracking what movies I've seen and not seen. The interface is good and it has loads of the lists of best films from various sources, like the IMDB Top 250, the top 100 British films or just every film that won the Best Film Oscar or Bafta. Definitely worth a look, although it is a little bit addictive.
    Pretty sweet website. It's like Goodreads for films then. I know that Phalanges was looking for this. Need to make a mental note to pass it on to him.

(Original post by boromir9111)
    Talk to me people, is Unstoppable a good movie?
    It's mediocre. Basically Speed without the terrorists.

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    Seeing it on Wednesday. Then having Nando's :awesome:

I cannot get over my 20% Nando's discount.
    Never been to Nando's. Maybe one day. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I see Deathly Hallows Part 2 has gone up to third in the all time gross list. Any chance of it catching Titanic?

I actually enjoyed the film Mamma Mia! I don't know if that is good or bad. It was a mixture of the ABBA songs and Amanda Seyfried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I actually enjoyed the film Mamma Mia! I don't know if that is good or bad. It was a mixture of the ABBA songs and Amanda Seyfried.
    Don't worry, I enjoyed it too... it was just knowingly naff fun. And no matter what people say, ABBA wrote some damn good catchy pop songs!

ReputationRep:

It's mediocre. Basically Speed without the terrorists.
    Thy agress :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think the plot to Abduction seems really interesting? Look forward to that.

Edit: On second thoughts, after watching the trailer, it reminds me of Hanna :holmes:

(Original post by Deshi)
    This is OT and you probably don't even remember the book very well but does Mary Malone ever do anything interesting in The Amber Spyglass? I've read three chapters of hers and they have got to be the worst three chapters I have read in the whole trilogy. She does absolute **** all apart from talk a lot of crap and is making it harder for me to finish the book
    I absolutely did not miss this. :ninja:

She does do a few things which are interesting and she is in a sense integral to the story but I found her chapters in The Amber Spyglass to be tedious grinds, if I'm honest. I liked her character in The Subtle Knife, with the supercomputer but when she goes on her own journey and the whole Mulefa subplot wasn't particularly interesting. I think she is just there to give the reader an insight into Dust and the over-arching themes - more than what is capable from the perspectives of Will and Lyra.

ReputationRep:
    Never been to Nando's. Maybe one day. :moon:
    What is this s**t? :eek:

Also, I've watched The Three Musketeers trailer a few times now and can't decide whether it looks awesome or awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)

Also, I've watched The Three Musketeers trailer a few times now and can't decide whether it looks awesome or awful.
    It has Orlando Bloom, that screams bad to me, despite his LOTR prowess.

ReputationRep:
    And he does look alarmingly like a young Gary Glitter in it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    And he does look alarmingly like a young Gary Glitter in it!

Oh, snap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)

It also has the guy who played Tom in Spooks. He's pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    Watched The Devil's Double.

Meh.

I would have been annoyed if it wasn't on a Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to catch Super 8 today, it was pretty enjoyable! Thought the child performances were pretty top notch, an entertaining film. I thought I realised the score and then I remembered that it sounded quite a lot like Lost (well the music for the emotional scenes). Anyway, good flick. It had a cheesy ending but I was expecting that as soon as the film started.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Cross-posted from the Movie Madness thread)

(Original post by py0alb)
    It's watchable, but accept now that you will a) guess the ending within the first 10 minutes, b) spend the rest of the movie hoping that you will be wrong and something less predictable and cliched will happen, and c) be left disappointed when this doesn't happen.
    I didn't see the ending coming. :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    (Cross-posted from the Movie Madness thread)

I didn't see the ending coming. :puppyeyes:
    MAY CONTAIN PEANUTS AND SPOILERS

Really? It immediately seemed like a remake/ripoff of "the wickerman" to me, and if you have watched that film, you will see the similarities immediately. Policeman, island, everyone acting very strangely towards him = clearly he is being set up for something horrible.

Plus: then if you have seen any films set in creepy mental asylums, its long been compulsory to have a "who's really the crazy one?" plot.

Then with the recent spate of "its a twist... but its a deliberately ambiguous twist" endings recently (eg inception - even has the same lead actor ffs), the pieces started to come together:

di caprio is being set up, everyone knows what is going on apart from him, maybe he's the crazy one after all, we will probably be left unsure.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Really? It immediately seemed like a remake/ripoff of "the wickerman" to me, and if you have watched that film, you will see the similarities immediately. Policeman, island, everyone acting very strangely towards him = clearly he is being set up for something horrible.

Plus: then if you have seen any films set in creepy mental asylums, its long been compulsory to have a "who's really the crazy one?" plot.

Then with the recent spate of "its a twist... but its a deliberately ambiguous twist" endings recently (eg inception - even has the same lead actor ffs), the pieces started to come together:

di caprio is being set up, everyone knows what is going on apart from him, maybe he's the crazy one after all, we will probably be left unsure.
    I've never seen "the wickerman", but all the staff/police acting strange I thought was because there was something sinister going on (i.e. the lobotomy stuff happening in the light house that was alluded to) and they were afraid of being found out. I knew that there was going to be some kind of twist, but definitely didn't expect the one that happened. I am not much of a filmophile though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I've never seen "the wickerman", but all the staff/police acting strange I thought was because there was something sinister going on (i.e. the lobotomy stuff happening in the light house that was alluded to) and they were afraid of being found out. I knew that there was going to be some kind of twist, but definitely didn't expect the one that happened. I am not much of a filmophile though.
    I guess the thing that annoyed me the most was the age old "you can't prove you're not crazy" schtick. I'm so bored of films set in asylums where the "horror" comes from the idea that a sane person could be wrongly sectioned, and would have no way of ever proving he wasn't crazy. One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest did it first and did it best, and its been ripped off too many times to count. Twelve Monkeys featured the idea briefly (in an infinitely better way than Shutter Island). Even The Net did it with more originality than this.

The various cliches are discussed here and on the links:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...AmongMadPeople

Spoiler tags.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.