The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3900
Finally watched The Prestige. I thought it was largely enjoyable, though a little disappointing at the end. Bale's accent caught me off guard.
Reply 3901
Original post by Abiraleft
Finally watched The Prestige. I thought it was largely enjoyable, though a little disappointing at the end. Bale's accent caught me off guard.

I was disappointed as well. It started off as such a good film when it was just like a really clever and lavishly made version of a Jonathan Creek mystery...

Spoiler

pretty interested in the upcoming new Alien film (sequel), need to find out a bit more info about it though
Reply 3903
Original post by lukejoshjedi
pretty interested in the upcoming new Alien film (sequel), need to find out a bit more info about it though

Do you mean Prometheus? It isn't directly affiliated to the Alien franchise any more (it was originally designed as a prequel).

Other than that, there aren't any Alien sequels coming up as far as I'm aware...?
Do you mean Prometheus? It isn't directly affiliated to the Alien franchise any more (it was originally designed as a prequel).

Other than that, there aren't any Alien sequels coming up as far as I'm aware...?

hmm you're right I saw news about a sequel today so I thought it was that - maybe those were just rumours, yeah I know about Prometheus already though

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/alien-movies/prometheus/, there's some footage of it on io9.com btw

I read somewhere that it's set in the same universe, but it won't be a pre/sequel
Reply 3906
Yup :yy:

Wikipedia
Scott downplayed the film's ties to the Alien franchise. He said, "While Alien was indeed the jumping-off point for this project, out of the creative process evolved a new, grand mythology and universe in which this original story takes place. The keen fan will recognize strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak, but the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative." However, speaking to MTV on February 12, 2011, Fassbender stated the film was still an Alien prequel, saying, "Prometheus is absolutely connected to Alien... There's a definite connecting vein." In a June 2011 interview, screenwriter Damon Lindelof claimed it will be a prequel to the Alien films but follow a different story, stating "a true prequel should essentially [precede] the events of the original film, but be about something entirely different, feature different characters , have an entirely different theme, although it takes place in that same world. That was my fundamental feeling about what this movie wanted to be".

Also, just look at that cast. I suppose we'll find out how good Noomi Rapace is fairly soon (this December, is it?), but the rest of that cast is already a win. :coma:
Isn't it about the Space Jockey in the crashed ship from the first film?
Reply 3908
Original post by Jace Falco
Isn't it about the Space Jockey in the crashed ship from the first film?

The above comments would suggest not. :dontknow:
The above comments would suggest not. :dontknow:

Tbf I haven't actually read anything about it, I was just going off stuff I'd heard.

Saw Cowboys & Aliens yesterday. I liked it.
Apparently Ridley Scott is due to make a new Blade Runner film too... No plot or casting details yet, but this could either be amazing or a really bad idea...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31821
Original post by thecurators
Apparently Ridley Scott is due to make a new Blade Runner film too... No plot or casting details yet, but this could either be amazing or a really bad idea...

If it's a direct sequel, then yeah, a really bad idea. Seeing the continuing adventures of Rick Deckard would completely ruin the ambiguity of the ending. Also, Harrison Ford and Sean Young ****ing hate each other.

If it's another story set in the same universe...still probably a bad idea, but as the video game showed, it *could* work.

Also, while we're talking about the Scotts...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/tony-scott-wants-to-remake-the-wild-bunch,60660/

no.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by maskofsanity
Watched The Devil's Double.

Meh.

I would have been annoyed if it wasn't on a Wednesday.

I liked it. Maybe because Dominic Cooper was a lot better than I thought he'd be, but yeah, I thought it was fairly decent.

Also saw Captain America and was pleasantly surprised, though my expectations for that had been way low.

Now to watch Cowboys and Aliens and The Guard by the end of the week. :moon:
Reply 3913
Managed to watch The Lovely Bones today, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, as I tend to enjoy Peter Jackson films. Apart from the performances in the film nothing else really stood out.

Spoiler

Reply 3914
Original post by Christien
If it's a direct sequel, then yeah, a really bad idea. Seeing the continuing adventures of Rick Deckard would completely ruin the ambiguity of the ending. Also, Harrison Ford and Sean Young ****ing hate each other.

If it's another story set in the same universe...still probably a bad idea, but as the video game showed, it *could* work.

Also, while we're talking about the Scotts...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/tony-scott-wants-to-remake-the-wild-bunch,60660/

no.

Kosove: "There are opportunities to think about either, what our world will be like in our almost immediate near future. Or to think about what the world is after Blade Runner, because we have things that have come into our being, things that are a part of our consciousness now that we couldn't have imaged many years ago.

Taken from io9.
Reply 3915
Original post by thecurators

I hope it isn't true/doesn't go through either way. I'm terrified they'll screw it up.

Also, anyone else really creeped out by this trailer?

(edited 12 years ago)
Also, anyone else really creeped out by this trailer?

I saw the original play, and it was pretty ****ing scary.

Daniel Radcliffe looks pretty fit with that hair, though :awesome:
Reply 3917
The Woman In Black on stage in London is brilliant and scared the crap out of me. I have a feeling that the film won't be able to recreate some of the scariest moments on screen because they wouldn't really work off of a stage. Sort of like the Defying Gravity moment in Wicked.
(edited 12 years ago)
http://darkesthourmovie.com/

looks interesting, I like Emile Hirsch. And yeah if there were ever an alien invasion movie that's impossibly in favour of the aliens, it's this
Reply 3919
I watched 17 Again and I think I enjoyed it :ninja: :colondollar:

Leslie Mann is a MILF :coma:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending