The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Illusionary

Original post by Illusionary
:lol: Point taken :p:

Still, you won't find a better price for now, by the looks of it...

I imagine so. Star Wars fans need a bargain as well, so they can start putting their money aside to go and see the films in 3D! :ahee:
Reply 4061
Original post by Phalanges
Also Gone With the Wind was released three or four times in cinemas over a 20-year period I believe, so a hell of a lot of people would go and see it for nostalgic reasons or may not have been born the first time around. I think the first release only garnered a little over 20m ticket sales which was pretty disappointing, because of expensive tickets. A re-release a year later was much cheaper and garnered much more interest. Also it was very popular in places like London, and I assume that those figures must factor into the 200m (the global market had a lot more importance back then than it does now).

And also while the potential audience might be lower, the audience share that cinema had would be many times greater. No TV, no internet, the biggest competitor was probably the radio, and just about every family would go to the cinema once a week. There's a brilliant moment in Public Enemies when John Dillinger goes to a cinema just to escape the summer heat - cinemas were frequented an awful lot more back then. So really when you adjust for inflation it's almost inevitable that older films will come out on top. ET or Return of the Jedi were probably the last blockbusters released that didn't have to compete with cable television, so when you scan the inflated box office lists it makes the accomplishments of films like Titanic and Avatar even more impressive than those which came before.

Ah this pretty much clears things up!
And the 200 million figure I gave was for US sales alone, just seemed a little extraordinary that every man, woman and child would have to havesee it twice...!
The same thing happened with 2001 when they found that people would watch it 3 or 4 times to try and understand it!
Reply 4062
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Did you see Let Me In? I didn't bother but I'm sort of curious...

I'm afraid not, I have a phobia of American remakes though it does star Chloe Moretz (Kick Ass) and Kodi Smit-Mcfee (The Road) and is meant to be a pretty good horror film in its own right.
Reply 4063
May be going to watch Last Year in Marienbad sometime at the Cornerhouse.
Reply 4064
Original post by CertifiedAngel
Just finisehd watching The truman show and american history X. Both really good films and managed to make me cry especially american history X which is now one of my favourites

Move to the chat thread?

Phalanges
I'm going to the cinema a fair bit over the next week or so. Fright Night tonight, Colombiana on Thursday and then A Lonely Place To Die next Monday. Colombiana looks like a lot of fun and A Lonely Place To Die looks absolutely fantastic, but I'm not too sure about Fright Night.
Fright Night looks fun, but that's about it.

I want to go to the cinema as well, but VUE don't show a wide variety of films -_-
Original post by Phalanges
I'm going to the cinema a fair bit over the next week or so. Fright Night tonight, Colombiana on Thursday and then A Lonely Place To Die next Monday. Colombiana looks like a lot of fun and A Lonely Place To Die looks absolutely fantastic, but I'm not too sure about Fright Night.

I've had that feeling about Fright night too, specifically cos of Colin Farell and his role what are you unsure about?

It's annoying when people over-analyze films imo, like with Sucker Punch... the amount of far out, philosophical theories for that film. Wow
Sucker Punch expressed the view that women are there to be raped and beaten up.
I'm surprised by Bridesmaids. It's genuinely funny.
Planet of the Apes was my film of the year.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

****ing thank you.

It gets a lot of criticism from people for some reason.
Reply 4072
Going to see Sarah's Key tomorrow. Have a feeling it will be a cry fest.
Who else has seen Thor? It's the first time I have seen the actor Tom Hiddlestone (Loki) in anything, he was very impressive. I thought the film was great too.
Reply 4074
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
Who else has seen Thor? It's the first time I have seen the actor Tom Hiddlestone (Loki) in anything, he was very impressive. I thought the film was great too.

I watched it last night. Really enjoyed it though parts of the storyline felt rushed.
Reply 4075

Not prepared to forgive them for ripping off Battle Royale, but the books are OK, so I'll probably go and see it.
Watching the boy in stripped pyjamas at 9. Cant wait I have a feeling ill be crying a lot during this film :s-smilie:
Reply 4077

Literally have never laughed so much in a cinema. :awesome:
x

I recently watched Cinema Paradiso, an Italian romantic drama. Amazing film! If you find some spare time, give it a watch.
(edited 12 years ago)
Who has a monthly cinema pass?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending