Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tombeale)
    Does anybody know where I can get cheap world cinema DVDs? It's frustrating how expensive they are on Amazon, if anyone could recommend me a site to get Bande A Part from I'd be extremely grateful! (not eBay!)
    I find it's best to shop around a bit. I recommend using find-dvd, that way you can compare all the prices at a glance. It seems HMV is the cheapest option for Bande a Part.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know where I can get cheap world cinema DVDs? It's frustrating how expensive they are on Amazon, if anyone could recommend me a site to get Bande A Part from I'd be extremely grateful! (not eBay!)
    It is only £6.49 on Amazon, which is rather good considering how much it usually retails for (I remember spending somewhere around £15 on it). Discs from people like BFI and Masters of Cinema will always cost a little more than your average piece of crap because they're high quality releases with relatively little sales potential.

I expected Rise of the Planet of the Apes to be an hour or so of apes getting smart, breaking loose and getting revenge on all humans before taking over the planet, basically the tired formula a lot of zombie films follow...

It wasn't. Good film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I expected Planet of the Apes to be an hour or so of apes getting smart, breaking loose and getting revenge on all humans before taking over the planet, basically the tired formula a lot of zombie films follow...

It wasn't. Good film.
    This is essentially what I was thinking as well. Glad I was proven wrong.

You're on nine gems now? Jeez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry S Truman)
    It is only £6.49 on Amazon, which is rather good considering how much it usually retails for (I remember spending somewhere around £15 on it). Discs from people like BFI and Masters of Cinema will always cost a little more than your average piece of crap because they're high quality releases with relatively little sales potential.
    Very good point. They also tend to have other stuff come with them, like it's rare for any of their releases not to have some kind of booklet with at least one essay on the film in it. It all costs money and I think they are usually very good value for money given the films that they release and the extras you get.

(Original post by Deshi)
    **** me, watched The Hitcher remake today and it was ****ing awful. I have never watched the original but if it's anything like that I don't think I'd want to :nothing: The female lead was retarded, reminded me of Wolf Creek, another film that could have so easily ended after 30 minutes if the leads had any brains. Only good thing about it was Sean Bean.

I also caught Thor a few days ago, wasn't as good as I had hoped tbh, X-Men: First Class was a lot better I thought. I also was looking at Natalie Portman's page and she has no new films coming out or anything, is she taking a break from acting or something?
    She's pregnant or she's probably already had the child, her bump was pretty big at the Oscars. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Very good point. They also tend to have other stuff come with them, like it's rare for any of their releases not to have some kind of booklet with at least one essay on the film in it. It all costs money and I think they are usually very good value for money given the films that they release and the extras you get.
    These kind of films rarely ever come with any extras...excluding a trailer, if you're lucky. It's just I think it's annoying (but not unfair) that these DVDs which cost about 50p to print are being sold at £15 ...

ReputationRep:
    These kind of films rarely ever come with any extras...excluding a trailer, if you're lucky. It's just I think it's annoying (but not unfair) that these DVDs which cost about 50p to print are being sold at £15 ...
    BFI and Masters of Cinema always have booklets nowadays, usually with some very good reading in them. Also, the 50p cost to print a disc isn't really of much interest - consider how much it costs to license these films from the various rights owners, how much it costs to clean up the elements (in the case of a BFI release), how much it costs to create the transfer and author the discs, how much it costs to clear and then print the content of the booklets. Then consider how many people will actually buy it. The slack has to be picked up by the consumer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    She's pregnant or she's probably already had the child, her bump was pretty big at the Oscars. :p:
    Oh right, thought it would be something like that, cheers :yy:

I watched My Soul to Take tonight, it was ****, can't find a better word to describe it, Wes Craven is so inconsistent.

ReputationRep:
    £6.49 is a good price for a BFI disc, certainly less than what I've paid for mine. I'd get it whilst it was at that price, especially since many of the better DVD companies (including BFI) had alot of their stock destroyed in the London riots, so what's out there in circulation at the moment is all there is for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    the old batman films - were talking the Tim Burton produced and directed ones. They are awesome! and Labrynth people, opinions ....its one of my favourite films

ReputationRep:
    and world cinema ad independent films check out ... "Silent House" & "The Eaters"

ReputationRep:
    Anyone interested in the industry from a screenwriter's POV might like to read Adventures in the Screen Trade; thorough account of Hollywood and its hierarchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry S Truman)
    BFI and Masters of Cinema always have booklets nowadays, usually with some very good reading in them. Also, the 50p cost to print a disc isn't really of much interest - consider how much it costs to license these films from the various rights owners, how much it costs to clean up the elements (in the case of a BFI release), how much it costs to create the transfer and author the discs, how much it costs to clear and then print the content of the booklets. Then consider how many people will actually buy it. The slack has to be picked up by the consumer.
    Well said, you've sold me! I guess I couldn't understand why 2001: A Space Odyssey, 2 discs, with loads of extras could be £4 but not other arthouse films, but yeah popularity has everything to do with it and 2001 is pretty popular. Plus they are really worth it...I mean you never see them second hand cos people don't give them away!

ReputationRep:
    Damn, just watched Eden Lake, that is one intense and ****ed up movie, the ending really pissed me off, I'm surprised the film isn't more well known.

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from The Skin I Live In

:|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ratrabbit)
    Anyone interested in the industry from a screenwriter's POV might like to read Adventures in the Screen Trade; thorough account of Hollywood and its hierarchy.
    Just William Goldman's name alone sold me, definitely going to check that out.

ReputationRep:
    Finally sat down to watch I Saw The Devil right now. Been meaning to for a while but I wanna watch it all in one go and it's near 2 and a half hours so. > : |

Best be as good as people have made out.

ReputationRep:
    im hyped about the possible remake of THE STAND !! i love the original teleplay of it although slightly watered down on the horror / thriller/ gory side ...its a wonderful piece of viewing material although the 6 hours in one go when i watched got me branded crazy by friends it truly is amazing and cant wait. and also Eden lake is sick to man loved it ...BTW anyone else think that catwoman from the 1966 batman is gorgeous as well as vicky vale in the 1981 batman i think it is 1981 anyways lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Finally sat down to watch I Saw The Devil right now. Been meaning to for a while but I wanna watch it all in one go and it's near 2 and a half hours so. > : |

Best be as good as people have made out.
    It's a pretty awesome film, if you enjoyed it I'd also recommend The Man From Nowhere (which is better imo).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.