The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I finally got round to watching Hanna... Really enjoyed it. I was a bit worried about it being quite long, but it kept me interested pretty much the whole time. Saoirse Ronan was amazingly good as well.

I also finally watched Submarine pretty recently... Well actually it was a while ago, but I haven't been on this thread (or TSR in general) in ages, so I don't think I mentioned it. I really liked it, though I sort of knew I would, so it wasn't any big surprise. It was a bit indie/twee, but without taking it too far. Also I love Paddy Considine, so I was happy to see another film of his :smile:
Reply 4181
Warrior is getting surprisingly good early reviews. :holmes:
Reply 4182
Original post by mimimimi

I also finally watched Submarine pretty recently... Well actually it was a while ago, but I haven't been on this thread (or TSR in general) in ages, so I don't think I mentioned it. I really liked it, though I sort of knew I would, so it wasn't any big surprise. It was a bit indie/twee, but without taking it too far. Also I love Paddy Considine, so I was happy to see another film of his :smile:

I love Submarine, it's funny in a kind of odd way.

I am listening to the score of the Social Network right now; I swear it wasn't made for a drama film about the creation of a website. It sounds more like a soundtrack for a post-apocalyptic film. I still don't think it should've won the Oscar for Best Score against Inception.
Reply 4183
You all know I simply loathe Kate Winslet, but her shoot for V Magazine as Liz Taylor is easily one of my favorites.
Some amazing Tinker Tailor prints: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31944

Anyone got a spare £100?
Who has seen Attack the Block? It's actually a reasonably entertaining film, despite the slang.
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
Who has seen Attack the Block? It's actually a reasonably entertaining film, despite the slang.

I found the slang to be the source of at least 80% of the humour.
The slang makes that film, Joe Cornish was really dedicated in putting that in.
Reply 4188
Original post by Phalanges
I'm sure you'll have already seen it, but if not check out 12 Angry Men. The dialogue has a very similar feel to it.

Yeah absolutely, I mean there's a whole style of dialogue that was born out of His Girl Friday, that overlapping, snappy banter.

TheLouisVuittonDon

I did quite enjoy it, but I don't like how in the end the kids were glorified...I mean they were gonna stab that girl for her phone, and I know kids who're like that and I just don't think they should be glorified...but that's just me.
Original post by tombeale
I did quite enjoy it, but I don't like how in the end the kids were glorified...I mean they were gonna stab that girl for her phone, and I know kids who're like that and I just don't think they should be glorified...but that's just me.

Tbf they were never going to stab her, it was just an intimidation tool.
Reply 4190
I haven't been watching movies very regularly for ages now. :frown: I hope to rectify that starting today: putting in Gosford Park to watch now. :biggrin:
Saw The Change-Up, extremely mediocre with a few funny bits and one extremely gross out bit in the first five minutes. And Leslie Mann is nude, which is nice of her.
Original post by JessicaW
The one with Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds? I thought that wasn't even out yet. I was always expecting it to be average, so that's okay. Love the main cast though, so I will still watch it. Need to watch Columbiana and Jane Eyre, too.

Yeah, managed to see it on a staff showing.
Reply 4193
Finally got round to seeing Attack the Block. Would have to agree with Sheep, that - for the most part - the slang is the cause of a lot of the humour. I was expecting Nick Frost's character to have more of a role though.

Similar to Shaun of the Dead in that it was a a genuinely entertaining film enhanced by being funny, gorey and containing some level of 'realism'. Comparing the two films, though, leaves Attack the Block some way behind. It was funny, but there weren't any laugh out loud moments for me, while there were plenty in Shaun of the Dead. The realism was also only really present in the characters and the settings. Although both plots are unrealistic in equal measures (however much people might obsess about zombie apocalypses), the way that Attack the Block played out made it seem a lot less realistic than Shaun of the Dead.

Not sure what to make of the ending.
Reply 4194
Gosford Park ended up not working. :dry: So I ended up watching You Don't Know Jack instead. Very interesting stuff, and often very emotional as well. Pacino's still got it. :adore:
Reply 4195
I think my dad's dragging me to Troll Hunters tonight. I don't know why.
Reply 4196
Original post by Pi!
I think my dad's dragging me to Troll Hunters tonight. I don't know why.

It actually turned out to be pretty good. I would reccomend it.
Reply 4197
The Fighter wasn't what I was expecting in many ways. That's not good, bad or anything else. It was just entirely unlike what I might have expected of the film, minus the central relationships.

Haven't really made up my mind on it. It was good and gritty and well scripted and acted - and I can see how Bale picked up the Oscar for Supporting Actor - but I didn't really feel that it had the 'heart' of other boxing films.
I don't know why I expected Jim from The Office's adaptation of Brief Interviews With Hideous Men to be anything but poor. The bits that work only work because they're rote copies of the original text, everything else just feels like padding. Who even adapts a short story collection? :facepalm2:

Also is it just me or is Jason Bateman in pretty much every low-brow/lower-middlebrow comedy these days? Seriously overexposed.
Damn, I like Jim from The Office. Well, in The Office anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest