Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Frying Pan)
    Anyone going to watch Drive? Looks like it's going to be one of the films of the year.
    Yep I'm gonna try to see it this weekend. I'd really recommend Warrior too btw.

ReputationRep:
    Drive is excellent, and its use of extreme violence is very much appropriate as it coincides with, and complements, a gradual and necessary tonal shift. In fact, I'd say it has one of the most mature handlings of violence I've seen in the cinema in quite some time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Frying Pan)
    Anyone going to watch Drive? Looks like it's going to be one of the films of the year.
    I've just come back from watching it and it is worth watching, ranging from subtle dialogue to what can only be described as hyper-violence, definitely an 8/10 if not more.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of Drive, is it just me or is Ryan Gosling suddenly turning up in everything? When I watched Tinker Tailor, I saw trailers for Drive, Crazy Stupid Love and The Ides of March.

Michael Fassbender is turning up in everything as well. He's a good actor though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    Speaking of Drive, is it just me or is Ryan Gosling suddenly turning up in everything? When I watched Tinker Tailor, I saw trailers for Drive, Crazy Stupid Love and The Ides of March.
    Indeed. I think most movie fans have really rated Gosling as an actor, and I think now he will start getting proper recognition from all of the movie-going audiences, not just the buffs.

ReputationRep:
    All we need now is an ensemble film of Bateman, Fassbender and Gosling. It's bound to happen sooner or later the output they all have.

In other news, 30 Minutes or Less is absolutely fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    In other news, 30 Minutes or Less is absolutely fantastic.
    That's good to hear, I was excited about it but it seems to be getting a bit of a rough ride. Last time I looked it was something like 45% on RT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    That's good to hear, I was excited about it but it seems to be getting a bit of a rough ride. Last time I looked it was something like 45% on RT?
    If you go into it not expecting much other than a funny comedy it won't disappoint. Aziz Ansari has impeccable comic timing, Danny McBride is really good at playing nutters and I've always found Jesse Eisenberg to be really likeable. I certainly laughed at it quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    If you go into it not expecting much other than a funny comedy it won't disappoint. Aziz Ansari has impeccable comic timing, Danny McBride is really good at playing nutters and I've always found Jesse Eisenberg to be really likeable. I certainly laughed at it quite a bit.
    It's because of Jesse Eisenberg's likeability that Mark Zuckerburg comes out of Social Network looking like an cool anti-hero.

Watched A Perfect World. I thought it was okay, though my positivity for it is tempered in particular by the kid's acting and the ridiculous execution of the climax. Kevin Costner is pretty cool in it, though.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I have to make a short video for psychology about the relation between films and real life violence, can anyone recommend me some useful clips or films I can use please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tombeale)
    I have to make a short video for psychology about the relation between films and real life violence, can anyone recommend me some useful clips or films I can use please?
    If you mean in terms of films mirroring violence taking place in the real world, then films like Hotel Rwanda and American History X would be good places to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    First time I saw that meme, I couldn't stop laughing.

ReputationRep:
    Watched Tinker Tailor Solider Spy today. I thought it was an absolute mess, and failed to tell its story at all. Not a bad thing in itself, but it is when it brings very little else to compensate.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if it's what you're looking for but this case a while back was about a bunch of kids copying Reservoir Dogs and murdering someone.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2000/jul/05/filmnews.film

You might also be interested in having a look at films that have (reportedly) incited real-life instances of violence; A Clockwork Orange and Child's play (particularly in reference to the Jamie Bulger murder case) spring to mind.

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but it might also help to take a look through the works of directors known for depictions of violence - Peckinpah, Scorcese, Tarantino, etc. I'm trying to think of similar films with a psychological twist, but the only one that really comes to mind is Fight Club...

The project sounds intriguing, btw.

EDIT:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Not sure if it's what you're looking for but this case a while back was about a bunch of kids copying Reservoir Dogs and murdering someone.
    Damn. I hadn't heard about that before.

EDIT 2: From the 'linked articles' sidebar on that page, I also found this: Resevoir Dog fan sets lover alight

EDIT 3: And another one

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses guys, should've made it more clear: we're studying the influence of the media on the human mind, so how far are films responsible for violence & copycat crimes?
    Just remembered a great spoof of Peckinpah movies by Monty Python called 'Salad Days'! Shame there don't appear to be any video interviews with the man.

Just watched Sweet Sixteen. What a fantastic film, I really needed that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.