Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Spending the day putting together a presentation which applies the feminist ideologies of Virginia Woolf's 'A Room Of One's Own' to the so bad it's good 1992 sporting comedy 'A League Of Their Own'. :awesome:

(Original post by aja89)
    Spending the day putting together a presentation which applies the feminist ideologies of Virginia Woolf's 'A Room Of One's Own' to the so bad it's good 1992 sporting comedy 'A League Of Their Own'. :awesome:

Speaking of so-bad-it's-good films, I'll probably be watching The Room fairly soon. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Speaking of so-bad-it's-good films, I'll probably be watching The Room fairly soon. :woo:
    I really want to see that! Let us know how it is for you haha...

ReputationRep:
    Star trek was on channel 4 I think.... tonight, still such a visually great film imo, JJ Abrams is awesome

Quite want to see Melancholia/Another Earth atm

Watched Lost in Translation last night, and thought it was excellent. I'll have to look out for more Sofia Coppola films now. Also, Bill Murray. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Watching Badlands right now, if there was one film I wish I directed this would be it, Love it. <3

(Original post by coolstory)
    Watching Badlands right now, if there was one film I wish I directed this would be it, Love it. <3
    Terence Malick is a beast!

Watched Dead Poets Society and Source Code today. Very inspirational films in respect to 'seizing the day' and 'enjoying life'. Both fantastic films, however I thought Source Code could have focused a little bit more on the philosophical aspects of its plot, but otherwise brilliant.

Would absolutely recommend both if you haven't seen them!

my (huge) local odeon doesn't seem to have Melancholia on. strange :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    They're re-showing Inception at some IMAX cinemas. Must go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    my (huge) local odeon doesn't seem to have Melancholia on. strange :holmes:
    maybe it's getting a selective area release... I think it did in America too, just to hammer home that's an arthouse stylistic flick

DiCaprio and Judi Dench? Directed by Clint Eastwood? Looking forward to this:

J. Edgar looks...saucy. Hope it is as good as it seems.

ReputationRep:
    Warrior is without a doubt up there with the best films I've seen this year, it's absolutely immense. And if it doesn't get some Oscar attention it will be an outrage.

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Warrior is without a doubt up there with the best films I've seen this year, it's absolutely immense. And if it doesn't get some Oscar attention it will be an outrage.
    if you get worked up about oscar awards, you're sure to have a heart attack by 40.

ReputationRep:
    I want to see that now!

Drive was very good too.

I watched Dazed and Confused last night. Good fun, easy to see why it's well liked; also easy to see the appeal of its famously tiny budget. Also, lots of actors whose faces I recognized but whose names I couldn't remember (or never knew).

Is it an Oscary movie, though? I'm very much looking forward to watching it, but it didn't really look to me like something the Academy usually fetes. Unless it's even more like The Fighter than I thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Is it an Oscary movie, though? I'm very much looking forward to watching it, but it didn't really look to me like something the Academy usually fetes. Unless it's even more like The Fighter than I thought.
    Gritty roles with plenty of character wrapped up in a good old Hollywood blockbuster - the argument could certainly be made for it. Nick Nolte and Tom Hardy were particularly amazing.

My, Tom Hardy is rapidly becoming a superstar. The thinking man's Jason Statham, if you will.

ReputationRep:
    Jason Statham wishes he was in a Batman film.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be very surprised if I saw a worse film this year than Real Steel. Seriously, don't even consider spending money on it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.