Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i saw Drive tonight. thought it was pretty good although the hype made me expect more.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    On another note, need to get watching Community. I only ever watched the first season.
    the second half of s2 is decent, especially for film lovers.

ReputationRep:
    Birthday. :pierre: Going to watch 2 films. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and ... ? Any suggestions?
    Warrior.

Birthday. :pierre: Going to watch 2 films. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and ... ? Any suggestions?
    The Lion King

In any case, I'd say do a classic. I watched The Deer Hunter on my last birthday.

(Original post by Jace Falco)
    I thought it might be. Par for the course with Statham, but we expect a bit better from De Niro and Owen.
    Tbf, De Niro hasn't appeared in a good movie for a while now either.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Colonel, if Warrior is still on that's definitely what you should see. Happy birthday, by the way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Killer Elite is really quite poor.

Welcome to TSR! The book is a very different experience to the movie, mainly because in the book, the story is narrated from the perspective of The Chief (while the movie uses a detached overview). I would definitely recommend the book regardless of whether or not you've watched the film.
    I can see why sometimes reading the book and watching the film are in themselves different. Somehow I wonder what The Chief will be thinking instead of one detatched overview from the film. And, thank you for welcoming me. I am already enjoying this place where I can nurture my skills and abilities here with ease

I see reasons why thinking about the same films makes you kind of shallow. Can anyone recommend me any films that can get me further into the deep end? One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was the last film I saw. I have an Unlimited card for the cinema, but it's either because I can't find the time to watch films at the cinema, or there just isn't any films I like on at the moment, or both.

I plan to watch Inception sometime soon. It looks interesting, and will probably have me pondering for days afterwards. I'm also heading towards HMV tomorrow as they always have good movies at good value prices over there.

ApeGoneInsane: I hope you have a good birthday! Having the choice to watch 2 films sounds really good, and I certainly recommend you watching The Lion King and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. They both sound brilliant films.

:birthday:

ReputationRep:
    Empire gave Tintin 4 stars, which makes me very happy: http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/...asp?FID=135271

The trailer for Shame is finally out. I realize I've said this (a couple of times) before, but this is the film I've been anticipating most all this year. :excited:

The trailer for Shame is finally out. I realize I've said this (a couple of times) before, but this is the film I've been anticipating most all this year. :excited:
    What a plot! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    in the last week I watched death proof, twelve monkeys, american history x and old boy.

death proof was ok, tarantinos worst movie yet.

twelve monkeys was quite good, not fantastic, but brad pitt was really good in it.

American history X was awesome, if a bit cliche in points, and in others just not believable.

oldboy had great filming, decent acting, strange (but in no way awful plot), was a bit predictable at the end, but casting someone as a high school colleague who looks 15 years younger than him didn't really work.

I liked AHX best out of them.

ReputationRep:
    This is my phone's new screensaver:

Spoiler:
    Show

Who's going to dare steal a phone when they see that?

(Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    in the last week I watched death proof, twelve monkeys, american history x and old boy.

death proof was ok, tarantinos worst movie yet.

twelve monkeys was quite good, not fantastic, but brad pitt was really good in it.

American history X was awesome, if a bit cliche in points, and in others just not believable.

oldboy had great filming, decent acting, strange (but in no way awful plot), was a bit predictable at the end, but casting someone as a high school colleague who looks 15 years younger than him didn't really work.

I liked AHX best out of them.
    I still need to properly watch Death Proof. :beard:

Expecting several new DVDs today. :teeth:

EDIT:

(Original post by Phalanges)
    This is my phone's new screensaver:

Who's going to dare steal a phone when they see that?
    :rofl3: 'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.'

ReputationRep:
    I still need to properly watch Death Proof. :beard:

Expecting several new DVDs today. :teeth:

EDIT:

:rofl3: 'Please rate some other members before rating this member again.'
    its a typical QT flick really with lots of talking, and usually in his films the dialouge is entertaining, but it wears a bit thin at points.

I watched it with 2 of my friends after getting it on love film, and when it finished we just went "what was the point of that film?"

still quite enjoyable, but nowhere near his other films.,

its a typical QT flick really with lots of talking, and usually in his films the dialouge is entertaining, but it wears a bit thin at points.

I watched it with 2 of my friends after getting it on love film, and when it finished we just went "what was the point of that film?"

still quite enjoyable, but nowhere near his other films.,
    I watched most of the first half of it when it was shown on TV several of months ago, and I remember being entertained for the most part. I know both people who defend it as misunderstood and otherwise ardent Tarantino fans who dismiss it as crap. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I watched most of the first half of it when it was shown on TV several of months ago, and I remember being entertained for the most part. I know both people who defend it as misunderstood and otherwise ardent Tarantino fans who dismiss it as crap. :dontknow:
    im in the middle, it wasn't a terrible, film, but it doesn't really live up to his excellent track record. It's worth watching the once and some of the dialogue is funny, but not pulp fiction epic.

inglorius basterds was a fantastic film though, so QT still has it in him.

I was in CEX a few months ago and picked up IB and bought it. When I got home turns out id bought a different film from the 70s/80s. I still haven't watched it yet

ReputationRep:
    I liked Death Proof. Executed the usual Tarantino trick of conforming to every stereotype of the genre and yet still managing to run completely contrary to what is expected. And the final chase scene is so gloriously old-school.

It's not up there with his best films, but it's certainly more representative of him than something like Kill Bill.

im in the middle, it wasn't a terrible, film, but it doesn't really live up to his excellent track record. It's worth watching the once and some of the dialogue is funny, but not pulp fiction epic.

inglorius basterds was a fantastic film though, so QT still has it in him.

I was in CEX a few months ago and picked up IB and bought it. When I got home turns out id bought a different film from the 70s/80s. I still haven't watched it yet
    The 1978 Italian film? Inglourious Bastards.

To be completely honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by Inglorious Basterds. I quite liked it, but the only scene that I really loved was the opening scene.

ReputationRep:
    Watched Senna yesterday. Amazing film, pleasantly surprised as I didn't think I would get so emotionally involved with a documentary.

ReputationRep:

To be completely honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by Inglorious Basterds. I quite liked it, but the only scene that I really loved was the opening scene.
    The thing about Inglourious Basterds is that it's brilliant scene by scene - the opening scene, the bar scene, the scene in the woods and so on and so forth. Where it falls is that it lacks cohesion between scenes.

ReputationRep:

*Inglorious *******s
    *Inglourious Basterds

/pedant :p:

I love the dialogue scenes in Tarantino films.

We watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy - you really do have to concentrate to follow the plot. I think I was the only person that understood it. Warrior wasn't on unfortunately.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. :wizard:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.