Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    The video is from 2010 and is the Batman Begins indents.
    Ultra Culture fail then?

(Original post by Phalanges)
    Controversial opinion of the night: Chris Nolan's best film is The Prestige.
    The Prestige for me was a bitterly disappointing experience. Mainly because most of it was so good. The ending undid it completely for me. The build-up, I agree, was excellent, and kept me intrigued. The other cinematic elements also worked well; the acting was good, the cinematography sharp, and the structure in particular very effectively used. And then came the ending.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Like I said, the build-up was excellent: the conflict, once instigated, was continually heightened, all within the backdrop of a given future just as intriguingly yet to be resolved; the two central characters kept on raising the stakes, and so thereby did the film: as the story twisted and turned, unravelled and tightened up some more, I expected more and more out of it. By the end, I was just waiting for the knockout blow that would justify it all; what we got, however, was simply the movie clambering out of the hole it had dug itself into. To string along the audience for the whole film, only to have to tailor fantasies right at the end to lay out any sort of resolvement - that left me with a sour taste. It was, ironically, like a magic trick without a convincing prestige.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned at all - I think Insomnia is also a very good film, and easily as good as The Prestige.

Stop what you are doing and watch this. One of the world's greatest editors is back:
    Pure genius. :adore:

ReputationRep:
    Stop what you are doing and watch this. One of the world's greatest editors is back:

Tasty. That is all.

ReputationRep:

The last 40 seconds are the best imo .

Filmography 2010 was far, far better in scene sync, music and general flow. Still good though.

ReputationRep:
    The Prestige is an uneven film that shines and all falls flat in several places. I can understand what people see in it, but The Dark Knight and Inception are better films.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nephilim)
    I really enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes, it was so much better than I thought it would be. You actually liked Hanna? I didn't like it that much because it didn't really have a plot, and the end scene imo was very anti-climactic. Why on earth did she even have to alert the government to her location :sigh:.

Anyone else think that the Tree of Life was incredibly self-indulgent?
    Yeah, Apes was one of the biggest surprises of the year for me. Went in expecting to hate it because of that god-awful trailer, and it was really a strong film. Hanna is one of my favourite films of the year, I loved it.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Filmography 2010 was far, far better in scene sync, music and general flow. Still good though.
    I wasn't as speechless when I was watching it, but I still think it's pretty amazing and it's still seems really fluid to me. I can't even begin to contemplate how long it must take to make something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I must say the Harry Potter one i discovered by going to his channel gives me chills.

ReputationRep:
    Writing an essay about the American Dream whilst watching The Land Before Time. The word count is suffering because the film is so damn good.

ReputationRep:
    Have started up a little film blog, will mostly be reviews and top tens, stuff like that. First post is a brief list of ten of the best non-Disney animated features. All subject to personal opinion, of course! :cool:

http://amysfilmblog.tumblr.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Have started up a little film blog, will mostly be reviews and top tens, stuff like that. First post is a brief list of ten of the best non-Disney animated features. All subject to personal opinion, of course! :cool:

Following.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi!)
    Following.
    Thanks! Following back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Thanks! Following back.
    You are my 40th follower. Have a cookie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Saw My Week With Marilyn today, didn't like it at all. Fine enough performance from Michelle Williams but the film bored me to death.
    I saw it this evening and Kenneth Branagh not convincing as Larry Olivier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I saw it this evening and Kenneth Branagh not convincing as Larry Olivier.
    That was one of the main things I really hated! I had expected better of Branagh too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)

Strange - I went to follow you and saw that you'd just started following me (on your personal blog)! :eek:
    Anyways, followed on both blogs

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know of any worthwhile Horrors coming out soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nannipigg)
    Anyone know of any worthwhile Horrors coming out soon?
    The Woman In Black is coming out sometime next year. I assumed it was in Spring, but it might have been pushed back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandora.)
    Strange - I went to follow you and saw that you'd just started following me (on your personal blog)! :eek:
    Anyways, followed on both blogs
    :eek:

It must be fate!

ReputationRep:
    DKR prologue's leaked. No sense in posting a link, it'll just be swarmed by WB eventually anyway.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The Bane voice is surprisingly very British. What I heard of it, anyway. Wasn't as bad as people made out, although obviously it could probably be more clear. Don't buy the argument some have made that it's intentionally inaudible, though. I know Nolan likes to make his films challenging, but I think making it difficult to hear your evil mastermind is probably a step too far.

Also, Carcetti!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.