Turn on thread page Beta

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II watch

ReputationRep:
    If you liked The Fighter, you'll like Warrior.

ReputationRep:
    I did like The Fighter. Alright, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite movies of 2011:
    1. Hugo
    2.Warrior
    3. Ides of march

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that the film of War Horse will be as good as the play of War Horse. Then again, I am heavily biased against Spielberg. I don't think I've seen anything directed by him that I like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi!)
    I doubt that the film of War Horse will be as good as the play of War Horse. Then again, I am heavily biased against Spielberg. I don't think I've seen anything directed by him that I like.
    Really? He's directed quite a few, I'm sure you'll find one.

(Original post by Pi!)
    Jaws? E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial? Jurassic Park? Schindler's List? Saving Private Ryan? A.I. Artificial Intelligence? Minority Report? Catch Me If You Can?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Jaws? E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial? Jurassic Park? Schindler's List? Saving Private Ryan? A.I. Artificial Intelligence? Minority Report? Catch Me If You Can?
    Nope
    Haven't seen
    Nope
    Big fat nope
    Haven't seen
    Haven't seen
    Haven't seen, but I'm actually slightly interested in seeing. Didn't know he directed that one.

You have been deprived of some good films.

ReputationRep:
    What spielberg HAVE you seen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    What spielberg HAVE you seen?
    To clarify: by nope I mean films I have seen but didn't like. I think most of my anti-Spielberg-ism stems from the fact I absolutely loathe Indiana Jones films.

ReputationRep:
    'Catch me if you can' sits fairly high up my favourite film list.

ReputationRep:
    If you dislike Spielberg and Indiana Jones you have essentially no sense of fun and should be prevented from engaging other people in even casual conversation forever, lest you drag them into a dark, depressing emotional mire where they feel they have no alternative but to kill themselves painfully. IMO, anyway.

(Original post by Christien)
    If you dislike Spielberg and Indiana Jones you have essentially no sense of fun and should be prevented from engaging other people in even casual conversation forever, lest you drag them into a dark, depressing emotional mire where they feel they have no alternative but to kill themselves painfully. IMO, anyway.
    Let's not forget that Spielberg also directed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. A science fiction adventure starring Shia LaBeouf. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Let's not forget that Spielberg also directed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. A science fiction adventure starring Shia LaBeouf. :pierre:

Eh, anyone with a filmography that substantial is bound to have a few misfires. Maybe that was a tad harsh, but Spielberg brought fun back to the movies at a time when they were tending towards bloated indulgence, and I think he should have a place in every serious film fan's heart.

The Dark Knight Rises trailer is frigging awesome!

If you haven't seen ET by the age of 10, you've not had a proper childhood. I remember seeing it in the cinema years ago when it was released for some anniversary and I was crying so much. Even my mum and other people in the cinema were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    The Dark Knight Rises trailer is frigging awesome!

I liked it. Bit light on the actual Batman, but that's to be expected I guess. Plenty to speculate about. Like:

Spoiler:
    Show

Why does Bruce Wayne look so old in that weird Escher building? I know 8 years have passed, but he has gray temples and a friggin' cane. If he was 'broken' by Bane, then it seems he wasn't paralysed (Nolan wouldn't have him rendered paraplegic just to undo it with pseudo-science), but still hurt significantly. I'm interested to see how this works onscreen.

Catwoman - I think Hathaway's good enough to do a job, but I'm not convinced by that footage. She stills seems to exude this Old Hollywood style beauty and innocence that is kind of antithetical to the character. Maybe this'll actually work in her favour, though.

Joseph Gordon Levitt - seems he does play a beat cop. What's the point of giving such a seemingly unimportant character type such a recognized actor? He could actually be really crucial to the film; it was established in TDK and BB that the Gotham police force is deeply and profoundly corrupt, and with Dent's death, Batman's 'disappearance', etc., it could indicate a concentrated effort to clean up the GCPD and remove the need for Batman's brand of vaguely fascist justice entirely. 'John Blake' or whatever could be the poster boy for this reinvented police force. Bane's inevitable defeat at the end could indicate the swansong of the nutbag terrorist era and a relatively normalized Gotham with a reliable police force; a Gotham with no place for Batman.

Just thoughts, anyway.

I liked it. Bit light on the actual Batman, but that's to be expected I guess. Plenty to speculate about. Like:

Spoiler:
    Show

Why does Bruce Wayne look so old in that weird Escher building? I know 8 years have passed, but he has gray temples and a friggin' cane. If he was 'broken' by Bane, then it seems he wasn't paralysed (Nolan wouldn't have him rendered paraplegic just to undo it with pseudo-science), but still hurt significantly. I'm interested to see how this works onscreen.

Catwoman - I think Hathaway's good enough to do a job, but I'm not convinced by that footage. She stills seems to exude this Old Hollywood style beauty and innocence that is kind of antithetical to the character. Maybe this'll actually work in her favour, though.

Joseph Gordon Levitt - seems he does play a beat cop. What's the point of giving such a seemingly unimportant character type such a recognized actor? He could actually be really crucial to the film; it was established in TDK and BB that the Gotham police force is deeply and profoundly corrupt, and with Dent's death, Batman's 'disappearance', etc., it could indicate a concentrated effort to clean up the GCPD and remove the need for Batman's brand of vaguely fascist justice entirely. 'John Blake' or whatever could be the poster boy for this reinvented police force. Bane's inevitable defeat at the end could indicate the swansong of the nutbag terrorist era and a relatively normalized Gotham with a reliable police force; a Gotham with no place for Batman.

Just thoughts, anyway.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think the old Bruce that we see may be related to something to do with the League, I mean look at the design of the room he's in. There are interpretations of Catwoman, and I think she'll bring her side of it in pretty well. Unfortunately, this summer as a result of me being excited and searching through forums dedicated to the film, I may have stumbled across a pretty massive spoiler concerning JGL's character. If it comes true, I'll be pissed hahah. The scene where Batman faces off Bane in the daylight looks fantastic, can't wait to see how Nolan has handled it. Plus, that's an IMAX shot section, so it will look spectacular regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madjackismad)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think the old Bruce that we see may be related to something to do with the League, I mean look at the design of the room he's in. There are interpretations of Catwoman, and I think she'll bring her side of it in pretty well. Unfortunately, this summer as a result of me being excited and searching through forums dedicated to the film, I may have stumbled across a pretty massive spoiler concerning JGL's character. If it comes true, I'll be pissed hahah. The scene where Batman faces off Bane in the daylight looks fantastic, can't wait to see how Nolan has handled it. Plus, that's an IMAX shot section, so it will look spectacular regardless.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Maybe. The League know who he is and that he scuppered their plans to purge Gotham. Either he's a prisoner or he's gone there for rehabilitation. Truthfully, I've never been that enamoured of Catwoman - she's never really been a credible threat to Batman, and I'm not that convinced she works well with him either. I'm more sceptical of the character than Hathaway, I guess.

I don't know how you'd even get spoilers at this point. I remember reading on Cracked or something some speculation that he might eventually replace a knackered Batman, but I don't really see that happening, given how Begins demonstrated that it takes a crapton of effort to become Batman. Anyway, what's the spoiler?

I agree, I never saw TDK in IMAX and I've regretted it for years.

ReputationRep:
    :h:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.