The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I watched 3:10 to yuma but didn't particularly enjoy it :no:
I keep watching The Hobbit trailer...want it to come out now not in December. :frown:
Original post by SirMasterKey
I keep watching The Hobbit trailer...want it to come out now not in December. :frown:

Tell me about it.
Why does Frodo always look like he's having an orgasm whenever he's touching the Ring or getting stabbed/stung/speared?
Reply 5345
Original post by aja89

Original post by aja89

EDIT: Holy crap, just found out it was based on a true story.

They both got released from jail after only a couple of years and live in England; one is a crime/murder mystery author and claimed to be an "accessory" so is basically in denial, the other lives in a small cottage in Kent by herself, training horses. Really pissed me off when I found that out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Phalanges
And then come back and say "Wait, what the hell happened when Snape was dying? That bit was impossible to follow" and get drowned out by all the Harry Potter fanatics saying "How dare you insult that part it's the best Alan Rickman deserves an Oscar for being Snape!!!!". :colone:

Snape gave his memories to Harry? I've never heard anyone react like that though. Alan Rickman is a wonderful actor, and his performance in DH part II was brilliant. He's on the BAFTA longlist for his role as Snape in the last Harry Potter film, and I think he definitely deserves something. Will he win an Oscar? Probably not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
Snape gave his memories to Harry? I've never heard anyone react like that though. Alan Rickman is a wonderful actor, and his performance in DH part II was brilliant. He's on the BAFTA longlist for his role as Snape in the last Harry Potter film, and I think he definitely deserves something. Will he win an Oscar? Probably not.

I don't think the concept of transferring memories by scooping up the tears of a dying man in a test tube came across that well to an average viewer not versed in the novels.

That reminds me of another annoyance: the Two Way mirror.
The entire scene with Aberforth was rageworthy.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I don't think the concept of transferring memories by scooping up the tears of a dying man in a test tube came across that well to an average viewer not versed in the novels.

That reminds me of another annoyance: the Two Way mirror.

Probably not. Though he tells Harry to pour them in the Pensieve. Which was featured in the Goblet of Fire and Half Blood Prince film.
Yes, it was a little annoying. But I understand why it was like that.

I loved the film. The films and books will always be two completely different things. But I wasn't really a big fan of the way Voldemort died.
It was much more beautifully written and poignant in the book.
(edited 12 years ago)
Why does Frodo always look like he's having an orgasm whenever he's touching the Ring or getting stabbed/stung/speared?

Or whenever he's happy....just basically generally all the time hehe

Sooo wrong, but can't help bursting into laughter :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
I really detested the last Harry Potter film. I mean it just seemed they thought, what the hell, lets do this. Main problems that come straight to mind:

1) Harry suddenly hearing horcruxes.
2) Harry and Voldemort feeling the horcruxes being destroyed.
3) When Neville kills Nagini.
4. Harry and Voldemort's final fight.
I really detested the last Harry Potter film. I mean it just seemed they thought, what the hell, lets do this. Main problems that come straight to mind:

I kind of disagree half the things you're saying.

1.) Well, he has a special link with Voldemort because he's himself is a horcrux. Same with 2.

3.) Wasn't that quite funny?
4.)You're right, the fight didn't feel quite epic to me, they could of put alot more thrill and suspense into it.

To be fair, I thought the first three were well done. Harry is/was a Horcrux therefore hearing/feeling 'fellow' parts of Voldemort's soul made sense and helped advance the plot a bit. Yeah, it was stated in the books that Voldemort might not feel the horcruxes being destroyed, but having that addition also added to the film. Neville thing felt a bit action hero.

The final fight was lacking, agreed.

Original post by Luceria
Probably not. Though he tells Harry to pour them in the Pensieve. Which was featured in the Goblet of Fire and Half Blood Prince film.
Yes, it was a little annoying. But I understand why it was like that.

I loved the film. The films and books will always be two completely different things. But I wasn't really a big fan of how Voldemort died.
It was much more beautifully written and poignant in the book.

Yeah, that was by far the biggest disappointment with the last film. It was much better in the Great Hall with them circling each other and Harry slowly summarising Snape's allegiance, Voldemort's failings and the Elder Wand. Instead of the Hollywood fight through the castle where a highly skilled Dark wizard is incapable of killing an incompetent, Expelliarmus obsessed, teenager. The reason cited for that was the 'wand wasn't working for him' but that didn't stop Voldy binding him in a bunch of rags then letting him go to bitch slap him a few times and give him a few hugs. You also got a general cheer after the dénouement but in the film, it was like 'whatever, never mind I just vanquished the greatest Dark wizard of all time'.

And what was up with the Bellatrix bursting into little pieces? :facepalm2: Voldemort, I could understand. A person might also ask why the killing curse didn't rebound the first time they locked wands down in the rubble before Nagini was killed. It surely would have reduced him to the level he was at when Harry was an infant.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Or whenever he's happy....just basically generally all the time hehe

Sooo wrong, but can't help bursting into laughter :biggrin:

That did make me lol a bit. :tongue:

I didn't get that feeling at all. They really cared about the source material and about making great films. Films and books are two completely different things, and what works in the book won't always work in the film. In the end I've accepted most of the changes. It's just the way it is. Harry sensing the Horcruxes was just a very convenient way for him to quickly find them. In the book Voldemort was so lost and incredibly evil that he didn't feel the Horcruxes being destroyed at all. Though the films are not the books, and in the end it does make sense.

Their final fight in the book is very good. Harry doesn't have a big chance when it comes to dueling Voldemort. It's hard for even Dumbledore to keep up at times.
But in the film they had to make it more cinematic, add more action and drag it out. The fight ended up being very Hollywood like. I understand the reasoning behind it though.
(edited 12 years ago)
That did make me lol a bit. :tongue:

It guess it was funny, but it also got me abit sick at the same time:smile:
Original post by cambo211
The entire scene with Aberforth was rageworthy.

I can't remember it too well. What were your main gripes with it?

And what was up with the Bellatrix bursting into little pieces? :facepalm2: Voldemort, I could understand. A person might also ask why the killing curse didn't rebound the first time they locked wands down in the rubble before Nagini was killed. It surely would have reduced him to the level he was at when Harry was an infant.

I don't know why they couldn't just drop dead (cinematic reasons again?). Voldemort dropping dead to the ground like the mere mortal he had become. I thought it was a great scene in the book. Instead they died in a very B villain way. I also thought Neville/Luna was a cliche and rather pointless.

They also make it sound like the only reason Harry survived is because Lily sacrificed herself for him. The reason Harry survived is because Snape begged Voldemort to spare Lily. She had a choice, but chose death. Though there is some confusion when it comes to sacrificial protection.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
I don't know why they couldn't just drop dead (cinematic reasons again?). Voldemort dropping dead to the ground like the mere mortal he had become. I thought it was a great scene in the book. Instead they died in a very B villain way. I also thought Neville/Luna was a cliche and rather pointless.

They also make it sound like the only reason Harry survived is because Lily sacrificed herself for him. The reason Harry survived is because Snape begged Voldemort to spare Lily. She had a choice, but chose death. Though there is some confusion when it comes to sacrificial protection.

Oh yes that little bit that was just put in to satisfy all those Luna/Neville fanboys/girls out there. :unimpressed:

To be fair, I thought the first three were well done. Harry is/was a Horcrux therefore hearing/feeling 'fellow' parts of Voldemort's soul made sense and helped advance the plot a bit. Yeah, it was stated in the books that Voldemort might not feel the horcruxes being destroyed, but having that addition also added to the film. Neville thing felt a bit action hero.

The final fight was lacking, agreed.

Yeah, that was by far the biggest disappointment with the last film. It was much better in the Great Hall with them circling each other and Harry slowly summarising Snape's allegiance, Voldemort's failings and the Elder Wand. Instead of the Hollywood fight through the castle where a highly skilled Dark wizard is incapable of killing an incompetent, Expelliarmus obsessed, teenager. The reason cited for that was the 'wand wasn't working for him' but that didn't stop Voldy binding him in a bunch of rags then letting him go to bitch slap him a few times and give him a few hugs. You also got a general cheer after the dénouement but in the film, it was like 'whatever, never mind I just vanquished the greatest Dark wizard of all time'.

Original post by kirisatha96
I kind of disagree half the things you're saying.

1.) Well, he has a special link with Voldemort because he's himself is a horcrux. Same with 2.

3.) Wasn't that quite funny?
4.)You're right, the fight didn't feel quite epic to me, they could of put alot more thrill and suspense into it.

Original post by Luceria
I didn't get that feeling at all. They really cared about the source material and about making great films. Films and books are two completely different things, and what works in the book won't always work in the film. In the end I've accepted most of the changes. It's just the way it is. Harry sensing the Horcruxes was just a very convenient way for him to quickly find them. In the book Voldemort was so lost and incredibly evil that he didn't feel the Horcruxes being destroyed at all. Though the films are not the books, and in the end it does make sense.

Their final fight in the book is very good. Harry doesn't have a big chance when it comes to dueling Voldemort. It's hard for even Dumbledore to keep up at times.
But in the film they had to make it more cinematic, add more action and drag it out. The fight ended up being very Hollywood like. I understand the reasoning behind it though.

I can understand partially the Harry part feeling them but then Voldemort was so detached as said so how would he feel them?

What's more is I felt they shot themselves in the foot as when any of the horcruxes were destroyed in the final film they both felt it and yet neither did when the locket was destroyed?

Maybe I just want my films too close to the books to sacrifice the understanding to those who haven't read them :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending