Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Surprised and delighted that Melissa McCarthy has been nominated. The Golden Globes are good at highlighting the comedic performances because they have a separate category, but by the time the Oscar noms come out they usually just go for the drama.

ReputationRep:
    No acting nominations for Ides of March, 2011's best acted film. No Senna nomination (although that was already known about, but you can be damned sure it deserved editing as well as documentary). No Tintin animation nomination. And it would have been awesome if that tenth spot for best picture had gone to Rise of The Planet of the Apes.

Academy, I am disappointed. At least you didn't give Snape a supporting actor nomination.

ReputationRep:
    Again, as mentioned above, disappointed that Drive didn't get a nomination. About the comedic nominations, you're right that they don't tend to go those types of performances. The only one that I can remember recently, was Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder.

Following my recent viewing of Cube, I watched Exam last night, as it's a similiar type of film. I think I actually enjoyed that more than Cube, which some people might find surprising.

ReputationRep:
    Yet another boring, predictable Oscars ahead of us, the artist, the descendants and Hugo will most likely clean house

pretty dissapointed Ryan Gosling got no noms whatsoever, I almost can't believe that... same for Michael Fassbender - and Source Code... *shrug* but yeah cool for Gary Oldman! The winner of the best male actor category could be surprising too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Yet another boring, predictable Oscars ahead of us...

...The winner of the best male actor category could be surprising too
    My brain hurt reading that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    My brain hurt reading that.
    :rolleyes: Damn me contradicting myself.... anyway, I shoulda said *I hope the best actor winner is a surprise*, though I think Clooney may walk away with it...

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: Damn me contradicting myself.... anyway, I shoulda said *I hope the best actor winner is a surprise*, though I think Clooney may walk away with it...
    I think it will be Dujardin, although there's several awards where I don't think it will be easy to predict right down to the day.

ReputationRep:
    Bayformers: Dark of the Moon got nominated for best sound mixing? what did they mix exactly? a rusty tumble dryer with an oil rig collapsing :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    The worst snub of the lot was leaving Tilda Swinton out of the leading actress category, IMO, with Fassbender's absence being a close second. I can't believe Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was nominated for Best Picture, either :lolwut:

I've never posted in this thread before. Hi

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be Dujardin, although there's several awards where I don't think it will be easy to predict right down to the day.
    yeah fair enough, I think a surprise win is always good tbh, the shock on the face of an actor/actress that thought they had no chance of winning followed by genuine emotion and elation, it's great. Btw what films do you think were snubbed this year?

I'd add Warrior, Source Code and Drive to a 'snub list'

And Hi rainbowdrops

ReputationRep:
    yeah fair enough, I think a surprise win is always good tbh, the shock on the face of an actor/actress that thought they had no chance of winning followed by genuine emotion and elation, it's great. Btw what films do you think were snubbed this year?

I'd add Warrior, Source Code and Drive to a 'snub list'

And Hi rainbowdrops
    I wouldn't say Source Code was snubbed. Senna was the biggest one in my opinion, god knows what anyone was thinking of leaving that off the initial shortlist, Tintin was a huge snub in animation, while Drive, Warrior and The Ides of March are the biggest mainstream films to not be rewarded properly.

And while it wasn't a snub, I'd have loved Rise of the Planet of the Apes to get some kind of recognition. The surprise of how good that turned out to be was one of the biggest shocks of the year for me.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people surprised that Drive didn't get nominations? Oscars hate that kind of film.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to watch Moneyball tonight as I've heard good things, and it's got a tonne of noms, plus it's written by Aaron Sorkin!

I'm going to see the Descendants next week as I'm a big fan of the Cloons and Alexander Payne..

Would have been nice to see something for Drive, or at least the Ides Of March... why is no one talking about that omission?!

Oh and if the Tree of Life wins BP I'll cry... absolutely dire..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rural_boy)
    or at least the Ides Of March... why is no one talking about that omission?!
    It is a mystery...

No acting nominations for Ides of March, 2011's best acted film.
    Drive, Warrior and The Ides of March are the biggest mainstream films to not be rewarded properly.

ReputationRep:
    Just realised why Arrietty didn't get a nom, it hasn't been released yet in the US.

I've barely seen any of the films on the list.

ReputationRep:
    It is a mystery...
    It's rubbish, is what it is!!

Oh and how come Albert Brooks wasn't nominated for Best Supporting Actor?!

Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    If Oscar-nominated film posters told the truth:

More here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi!)
    X
    :rofl: Brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Natalie Portman in a sequel to Léon - thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    Natalie Portman in a sequel to Léon - thoughts?
    I think if we got films based on what reddit thought was a good idea, we'd end up in a terrible place. :p:

In all seriousness, Besson has done a lot of pretty mediocre stuff since then, and Portman is too big a star now for it to feel so edgy and raw. I'm not particularly opposed to a sequel, but likewise I don't feel like there needs to be a sequel to explain anything in that film. It would have to convince me that it deserved to exist rather than getting me excited simply by its existence.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.