The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Everyone calm down, they're making 'Three Men and a Bride'
Original post by Seanisonfire

Whoa, thank god, that was the chill pill I needed.

:rolleyes:
The more i read of these books the more i know i'm going to be disappointed by the film.

Fincher will certainly make a fabulous film but i'll be disappointed.
Original post by Seanisonfire

Sorry I thought of a better reply to this:

"Sounds like Mamma Mia all over again"
Original post by cambo211
The more i read of these books the more i know i'm going to be disappointed by the film.

Fincher will certainly make a fabulous film but i'll be disappointed.

I haven't read the books (really want to) but I've seen the Swedish films and...well the first one was brilliant at the very least!

(Second was good, third had to be made to complete the trilogy but has a much more book-like story so should have been left that way IMO).

Have you seen em?
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I haven't read the books (really want to) but I've seen the Swedish films and...well the first one was brilliant at the very least!

(Second was good, third had to be made to complete the trilogy but has a much more book-like story so should have been left that way IMO).

Have you seen em?

No i haven't unfortunately :emo:

But i just don't see how in anyway the films can live up to the book.

There are just some bits in the book, that are pretty important, that i simply can't see being translated into film. No doubt the film will be brilliant, but 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' it will not.
Reply 546
Original post by Jace Falco
Okay, I grant you that Serenity is probably doing so well because of the Whedon fanbase, but saying that it's worse than the sticky pile of guano that is Spider-Man is just beyond wrong.

"Beyond wrong" is quite a strong statement. I found both enjoyable to watch, but nothing more than that, like a quick ****: not memorable in any way and both ending in frustration.

Without the "Whedonite" fan base, it would've scraped through round one, if that. I believe they skew the results of polls akin to this one quite regularly.

Serenity 69 - 31 Spider Man
Serenity 68 - 32 E.T.
Serenity 57 - 43 Back to the Future
Serenity 62 - 38 Terminator

What a joke, that is beyond wrong.
Original post by channy
"Beyond wrong" is quite a strong statement. I found both enjoyable to watch, but nothing more than that, like a quick ****: not memorable in any way and both ending in frustration.

Without the "Whedonite" fan base, it would've scraped through round one, if that. I believe they skew the results of polls akin to this one quite regularly.

Serenity 69 - 31 Spider Man
Serenity 68 - 32 E.T.
Serenity 57 - 43 Back to the Future
Serenity 62 - 38 Terminator

What a joke, that is beyond wrong.

I agree on E.T., BttF and Terminator, but Spider-Man was just a bad film. Serenity may not be a paragon of science fiction film making, but it's solid, well acted, well made, with a good story. Spider-Man made me wonder why I was wasting my time.
Reply 548
Original post by Phalanges
Can't WB just leave Batman alone for a bit? Is there license running out on the character or something?

This exactly. I like this Batman, I don't want to see a paranormally spruced up impersonator.
Reply 549
Original post by Jace Falco
I agree on E.T., BttF and Terminator, but Spider-Man was just a bad film. Serenity may not be a paragon of science fiction film making, but it's solid, well acted, well made, with a good story. Spider-Man made me wonder why I was wasting my time.

The characters in Serenity are one dimensional and uninspiring, with an unoriginal plot which was entirely predictable. The "light hearted" moments played out with supposed comedic dialog were cringe worthy. Not to say Spider Man didn't have any of these flaws (Tobey Maguire was as good as James Franco was bad, although Franco didn't have much to work with), but I can sense some bias here.

You're disregard of Spider Man's merits (which clearly lift it out of the mire of "bad" film) alludes to the affliction that is Whedonism; like hedonism, but without the pleasure.

It's a film for the fans. Shiny.

Spoiler

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
How was Finland? :smile:

It was absolutely lovely, thanks! I basically want to move there now :tongue:

How is everyone here? Anything exciting happening? I'll probably watch some films today to help me get over the tiredness of my holiday...
Vanessa Hudgens voice makes me want to kill things.
Someone negged me for my limitless review. :colonhash:

Have you read 'Burton on Burton'? :holmes:

I haven't no, would you recommend it? I haven't read many film book tbh.

P.S. If I could I would have repped you for your last post in the Burton thread.

Original post by channy
Serenity...what bull****. Poll has gone down the drain.

Star Wars not only beat but utterly destroyed both Alien and Terminator 2. This is why public opinion is ****.
Original post by Phalanges

I haven't no, would you recommend it? I haven't read many film book tbh.

P.S. If I could I would have repped you for your last post in the Burton thread.

I haven't read it either but i knew I'd heard the quote I used in that post somewhere and when i googled it the first response was from google books and 'Burton on Burton' and just wondered if you had :p:

Why thankyou.
(edited 13 years ago)

I haven't read it either but i knew I'd heard the quote I used in that post somewhere and when i googled it the first response was from google books and 'Burton on Burton' and just wondered if you had :p:

Might order it from the library. From tomorrow changes to the library mean that student are going to start being charged for orders (£1 a pop) so I'm going down today to panic order in all of the Dark Tower books and a few others. :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 555
Planning to watch Annie Hall tonight, quite excited about it.
Vanessa Hudgens voice makes me want to kill things.

oh you don't watch her scenes on mute :biggrin:

and Mimimimimi you still live in Russia right?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by mimimimi
It was absolutely lovely, thanks! I basically want to move there now :tongue:

How is everyone here? Anything exciting happening? I'll probably watch some films today to help me get over the tiredness of my holiday...

Glad to hear you had a good time. :h:

Nothing much has happened. It's like the deep breath before the plunge, plunge being the mass of summer blockbusters.

I think the thread will probably become less active over the next month or two, as most of us are entering exam season.
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Glad to hear you had a good time. :h:

Nothing much has happened. It's like the deep breath before the plunge, plunge being the mass of summer blockbusters.

I think the thread will probably become less active over the next month or two, as most of us are entering exam season.

Indeed we are :/ buuut before that, got a month off till Apr 29th or so to do whatever (probably should revise) but also watch a tonne of films too in all my spare time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending