Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been watching some Bond films. They're...patchy, to say the least. I loved The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill, I think Dalton's probably the best one (not solely because his iteration is darker, but he gives Bond a dimension that everyone barring Craig has thus far lacked). I didn't enjoy GoldenEye as much as I thought I would (despite its excellent villain and stuntwork). It's better than basically all of the Moore films and some of the Connery ones, but I find Brosnan to be a fairly bland Bond, and for these films to work, you really need to engage with the main character.

ReputationRep:
    Why did everyone on the internet decide to hate on Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close? I think it's a pretty good film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Why did everyone on the internet decide to hate on Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close? I think it's a pretty good film.
    I watched it a few days ago and I actually really liked it. Embarrassing to say but it had me on the verge of crying at times, I thought the kid was an excellent actor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)

Haven't seen it, but the literary establishment have been hating on Jonathan Safran Foer for years (rightly) because his style is seen as cloying, twee and Dave Eggers-lite, and the man himself is seen as an insufferable, pretentious git (also rightly: he once responded to criticism of his work with 'WHY DO PEOPLE HATE ART' or something like that).

There's also the usual accusation levelled at anything that deals with any tragedy that still feels kinda raw: that the work concerned is cynical and emotionally manipulative awards bait. People had this problem with Daldry's previous film, The Reader, as well. These days, unless you're Spielberg, Polanski, Stone or someone else with sufficient 'cred', generally you will be unfairly vilified for making a Holocaust/9/11/whatever film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    :yep: Nicolas Winding Refn is Danish.
    I am loving everything that Scandinavia is doing right now.

ReputationRep:
    Watched Tinker, Tailor. Found it somewhat convoluted in parts, especially in certain flashbacks, interludes and plotlines. Altogether decent enough, but not as good as I was expecting.

ReputationRep:
    totally agree

The Artist sweeps up the BAFTAs, then. Seven wins, if I counted right.

I thought Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy or Shame might have benefited from the traditional home-advantage of the BAFTAs, but apparently not really. This makes me think The Artist has the Oscars wrapped up as well - though the SAG awards hinted at a possible shock-trump by The Help. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Senna for best editing. Very, very pleased with that, I've never seen a film more deserving of an award. To cut down 5,000 hours of footage into something with such a tight and absorbing narrative is a tremendous achievement that has been far too overlooked.

In terms of documentaries this year, I really want to watch both Senna and Project Nim. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    What film job do you qualify for?

ReputationRep:
    Ha! That's pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    Ha! That's pretty good.
    I cracked up at the continuity part.

ReputationRep:
    That's great! Apparently I'm going to be a producer. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck firmly in the film critic/screenwriter wheelhouse, depending on how talented I'm feeling that day. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's genius :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Indie film maker, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Screenwriter, I am.

Anyway, just finished watching Inland Empire. I'll give it a "What the **** did I just watch"/10.

Is Never Let Me Go a good film? Is it likely to reduce a girl to tears? :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Just saw Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Average action flick to be honest but the CGI was great but overall nothing great.
    Getting panned by the critics though...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.